Pricing Changes on eBay India

Dear Community Members,

Together with you we have been pursuing the goal of growing the online shopping business in India. To do this we have been investing continuously, along with our seller-members, to achieve the common objective of buyer delight.

Changes in eBay Fees: Post discussions with our key sellers across categories and after understanding the commercial dynamics of the ‘supply-chain’ in various product categories, we have made changes to the eBay.in fee structure and these can be viewed on the announcement board.

We would be conducting an online workshop tomorrow from 4 to 5 PM on this thread & we encourage you attend this Workshop, or use our Customer Support Resources to help you understand the overall Fees changes.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Hi,

I wish the increase in fees, is indeed a delayed April fool prank by Ebay.

Firstly, to start off, we are venting extreme dis-satisfaction with the hike in fees. The following are the details for your reference:
% Change

Cameras & Optics 100.00%
Consumer Electronics 100.00%
Laptops [ Peripherals 100.00%
TV Accessories 400.00%
SLR Camera Lenses -60.00%
Basic Shop 66.89%
Insertion Fees GTC 100.00%
Paisa Pay Fees 12.50%
Apparel & Accessories 40.00%
Cars & Bikes 40.00%
Everything Else 40.00%
Fitness & Sports 40.00%
Health, Perfume, 40.00%
Kitchen 40.00%
Dining & Bar 40.00%
Musical Instruments 40.00%
Tools & Hardware 40.00%
Toys, Games & Baby 40.00%
Travel 40.00%
Watches 40.00%
Home Appliances 100.00%

Can Ebay provide a justification in increase in costs when current inflation as per the Reserve Bank of India stands at around 9%. Ask a normal person they would say it is a rip-off and an indirect way on part of ebay to tell sellers PAY THE HIKE OR GET LOST!!

We sell in a category where postage costs are fixed at Rs 55/-. Shouldn't this slab be revised considering fuel costs and courier charges have increased by 40% in last 4 months.. When it comes to understanding sellers Ebay takes a lethargic approach. This new proposed hike is a killer blow for us.

We do understand the parent company ebay.com is under pressure to maintain growth rates and are having a difficult task in maintaining them! This way of increasing fees by more than 100% in certain categories is unacceptable.

We are aware that losing a single seller, will not affect, Ebay by any means! This is where business ethics comes into play and this might be the last straw for us.

(I am sure, Seema will not be able to give me affirmative answers and hence your approach will be very diplomatic. I am in no way blaming you, it is the management at Ebay.in we are venting our fury at.)

Regards
Disgruntled Seller at Ebay.in
Message 61 of 120
latest reply

Dear Seema,
As you mentioned you have not hiked price in few categories, where you have your pets!!!
But unfortunately we are a category specific seller (tools & hardware). You have hiked the FVF from 5% to 7% and PP fees from 4 to 4.5%. This 2.5% is only our net profit after all deductions. But we are happy with that by compensating the volume. But unfortunately from April onwards many tool brands has hiked the price from 5% to 10% (you can refer any tool brands in India about the price changes). Increased cost of shipping due to hike in fuel surcharge by courier companies (10 to 20%), this will be again hiked due to recent price of petrol prices.
Now you are planning to take away the balance bones too.

We may increase the price, but we can not sell more than the MRP of the product. We already got fired by buyers even if we put the shipping cost after MRP. We can not charge more on the shipping because of the DSR and feedback problems.

As you mentioned by you in your answer, we have not heared any such hike in payment gateway fees. The normal PG fees is only 2.5 to 3.5%.

So after careful analysis, I don't want to do business at the lost. So today i have closed my ebay shop. We will not re list any items, unless other wise the fees have been revised. Buy branded tools at cheaper prices from http://stores.ebay.in/machpowertools
Buy branded tools at cheaper prices from http://stores.ebay.in/machpowertools
Message 62 of 120
latest reply

Ahaan!! Time to wrap up my things on eBay..

This fees increase is just not justified. I am so sick of 'My way or the Highway' attitude.

I have just done some calculations and I think its better to have your own site with payment gateway integration.

The amount of fees we pay to eBay is sufficient to even cover promotional costs on Google and Facebook..

I am not happy with this fee increase, but I guess this happens when there is a management change and the new person thinks his Ideas are better and the company was being run by incompatible people earlier. The new guy think he can increase the revenue of a firm overnight by taking such drastic changes (increasing fees upto 100%)

Somehow I knew something like this is going to happen when I saw new person on board and old fella leaving.

Regarding my business model: Mr eBay.. your fees increase does not fit my business model, so I would prefer the HIGHWAY. .!!

Shop band karne kee prakriyaa shuru hoo chukki hei... (The procedure of shutting down my eBay shop has started)

X-(
Message 63 of 120
latest reply

Dear Seemaji,
I expected that since this is a workshop, you will throw some light on catalog. You should keep sellers informed about the great changes.
Ebay is side stepping community activities. That is eBay policy now. I am bound to abide by policy. But as a responsible member of the community, I have tried to draw your attention to my specific needs.
Ebay is increasing fees to reinvest in marketing matters. That is definitely a good idea. But man does not live by bread alone.
Your language resembles CEO of an MNC. But, please try to understand that eBay is a great community also. My buyers are sometimes top intellectuals. It is everybody's responsibility to make eBay greater. God bless you.
Thank you very much,
Truly,
Amitava
PS: Thank you for making me a silver PS.
Message 64 of 120
latest reply

I also agree with mark-infotech

Does ebay care for seller??
Courier ppl have increase there rate but on ebay we cant as ebay have put a cap on it.i dont know how ebay have calculate the shipping cap.do they know something like fuel surcharge which change on monthly basic.

i wud ask ebay to try courier something without ebay company courier account then they wud come to know the real rate in market.

Ebay count neutral feedback also bad same as negative..
i have got many neutral feedback where the buyer is used to give neutral or negative feedback to most of the seller but nothing cant be done..
Buyer give neutral feedback as OK what does this indicate i ask the buyer he said ebay had mail them to leave feedback so for that have mention OK.
Buyer dont know what is feedback basically but what the use who care on ebay

i would also close the premium shop..and reduce the number of listing and increase the price as i dont have any option

Regards
RELIABLE ENTERPRISE
MUSTAFA
Message 65 of 120
latest reply

victorsagar
Community Member
Hi,
Is there any proper logic behind to change ebay fess on site? as everyone knows ebay is the online market place and eBay.in is always buyer oriented site, so it's natural eBay will increase the fess and commission if eBay does not increase the fees then how eBay can bear the expesense of admin and all company expenses
So this is my request to all sellers find something elese to grow your business in the online market. it is a total expolitation of sellers. I dnont understand does eBay.in mangement has not any sense I dont understand why thery always apply eBay.com rules for eBay.in.
eBay earnes a sufficient revenue in a day then why always sellers suffers? eBay management should think about small sellers they have potential but they cant grow due to this foolishness.
eBay always think about big sellers who list more than 1000 items on eBay and gives lakhs of ruppes revenue to site.eBay management needs to study Inidan economy and management should understand India is developing country not a developed country.
There are so many things to write and speak but no one is going to listen voice of small sellers, this is my request to all small sellers try to sell from other market place, you don't have future for your businees in eBay.in nothing is going to change fees will remain same
Message 66 of 120
latest reply

victorsagar
Community Member
As I alerady posted on wall that's ture but there is another side which members of ebay should think this is a business there is hike in all tangibles prices.
So I'm taking back my post kindly ignore my previous post which is also mentioned below kindly ignore it

Hi,
Is there any proper logic behind to change ebay fess on site? as everyone knows ebay is the online market place and eBay.in is always buyer oriented site, so it's natural eBay will increase the fess and commission if eBay does not increase the fees then how eBay can bear the expesense of admin and all company expenses
So this is my request to all sellers find something elese to grow your business in the online market. it is a total expolitation of sellers. I dnont understand does eBay.in mangement has not any sense I dont understand why thery always apply eBay.com rules for eBay.in.
eBay earnes a sufficient revenue in a day then why always sellers suffers? eBay management should think about small sellers they have potential but they cant grow due to this foolishness.
eBay always think about big sellers who list more than 1000 items on eBay and gives lakhs of ruppes revenue to site.eBay management needs to study Inidan economy and management should understand India is developing country not a developed country.
There are so many things to write and speak but no one is going to listen voice of small sellers, this is my request to all small sellers try to sell from other market place, you don't have future for your businees in eBay.in nothing is going to change fees will remain same
Message 67 of 120
latest reply

indiainfotech1
Community Member
I Completely agree with all my Sellers Friends. There should be roll back on Basic Shop Fee, Insertion Fee and Paisa Pay Fee Hike.

Otherwise we small shop owners will close our shops.

Ebay should understand our concerns:-
1. There is no increase or revision on shipping charges till now. Why?
2. Most of the time when I check my PaisaPay Invoice I pay more to you for paisapay commission then what I gain behind that item.
We are getting Some Rs.100 odd behind an item and paying you Rs.300-400 as Paisapay charges. What is this?
3. Here I have seen Buyer are very misbehaving fraud, in between the shipment they say we want refund because I have bought from other end and for free I have pay for shipping costs.
Last time Paisapay team penalized me for refund some Rs.900 When I talked to my account manager no relief.
4. If Buyer misbehave you can only block his account but in case of seller you block our account you put penalty on us.
I only appreciate, that everyone will pay for listing now no Free listing will be allowed. Also Multiple listing should banned to a limit.

Its very clear from every sellers opinions no one is happy with fee hike either its small seller or big seller. Rollback is ultimate demand from all of us.
Message 68 of 120
latest reply

4% PaisaPay fee was high in the first place, 4.5% (plus 10.33% service tax remember) is downright ridiculous.

All said and done about increase in operating costs, 4.5% payment gateway fees is definitely not industry standard.

Rise in shop fees seems reasonable to us when we do a cost-benefit ratio.
Message 69 of 120
latest reply

Dear rajelectroniks,

These initiatives have been launched by eBay in order to build a more robust and healthy market place for sellers to operate in. The intention has always been to correct sellers who might end up giving bad experience to buyers on the site, and therefore affecting the business for other sellers as well.

Genuine sellers will definitely be able to make good use of these facilities by having the ability to remove any kind of unfair feedback from buyers

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 70 of 120
latest reply