cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer Warranty: does it mean grey market?

gibikote
Community Member
Hi

Almost all the digital cameras on sale on ebay.in (probably all) are offering only Dealer Warranty. Most of these are 1 year, and some of 6 months.

Nikon, Canon and Olympus provide 2 year nationwide warranty to all their official products (as mentioned on their website).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if ebay sellers are offering less warranty, it would mean that these could be either grey market/refurbished or even stolen.

Can ebay.in not ensure that sellers follow certain obvious guidelines/policies at least for branded items?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

techniwas
Community Member
http://forums.ebay.in/thread.jspa?threadID=500002196

TechiE

TechiE
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

papa123452010
Community Member
Hello a,body
Yaaaaaaaaa...I agree with Mr.gibkote.If the manufacturers are providing certain warranty period..... .the seller ought to sell the items as per the manu, warranty.Giving another warranty period than the manu,s one I feel somewhat infringes on the real warranty.
This will defeat the very soul of bussiness.
P.S (Have you had a look....the ebay support has no support directly for defective/faulty items recieved...theres no scope for the same)Try!!
Regards
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

gibikote
Community Member
thanks for that link techiE
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hello,

Kodak is offering very agressive pricing currently on 7 MP and 8 MP Digicams.

These are available at comparable prices with grey market of other brands but come with Manufacturers warranty.

Buyer can browse thorugh listings of Kodak cameas on ebay.in for great deals.

---------

Devesh
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Why u make issue. just buy what u like and just leave if u dont like!!
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

kumar.n

This is a huge issue. It is called Fraud, Duty Evasion, Smugling, etc. All these are crimes and are punishable with severe jail sentences.

The issue for buyer is that as Most Sellers boldly Claim Warranty in their item tittles and description, buyers cannot make an informed choice.

Support / warranty for grey market products does not exist.

Genuine sellers of Duty Paid goods suffer as they are not able to differentiate their offering and make good sales.

------

Devesh
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Grey market does not mean duty not paid etc. You can legitimately import same goods directly from chinese distributor ( paying duty) at a cheaper price that buying from canon or nikon India.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

gibikote
Community Member
Hi

I did not write this to 'make an issue'. I just want to know what I am buying, and although the manufacturer is offering 2 yrs warranty, why am I not getting it.

Obvious answer from this discussion so far is that except for few Kodak products (to be checked) all others seem to be 'grey' or imported from other markets. I guess these cannot be registered on the manufacturer's Indian website (if there is one) for nationwide full 2 yrs warranty.

How does one 'legitimately' import at price cheaper than Indian distributor, AND get full warranty?!

Clarifications welcome. Thanks.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ onesimpleman,

importing from other sources (than authorised manufacturing company) and paying duty is called Parallel Imports. Grey is duty evaded.

Parallel imports do carry warranty from importers. Usually the warranty on grey market goods is suspects as the first source does not offer any warranty.

------

Devesh
Message 10 of 12
latest reply