Pricing Changes on eBay India

Dear Community Members,

Together with you we have been pursuing the goal of growing the online shopping business in India. To do this we have been investing continuously, along with our seller-members, to achieve the common objective of buyer delight.

Changes in eBay Fees: Post discussions with our key sellers across categories and after understanding the commercial dynamics of the ‘supply-chain’ in various product categories, we have made changes to the eBay.in fee structure and these can be viewed on the announcement board.

We would be conducting an online workshop tomorrow from 4 to 5 PM on this thread & we encourage you attend this Workshop, or use our Customer Support Resources to help you understand the overall Fees changes.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

gizmobhai
Community Member
with regards to pricing. i m sure ebay team has been illadvised. it is very simple. higher charges--higher prices--lower sales--lower gains for sellers & ebay.

the indirect loss is even much more. the other sites mainly tradus, infibeam and futurebazaar are breathing down the neck with almost same or better prices. post increase, ebay will further lose to competition.

most of the reputed sellers will admit that they have been tempted with attractive offers from other websites many times in the past. we have been warding them off since processes are excellent in ebay and its best amongst the lot. but that is precisely the reason it should be aggressive to protect its turf. its doing exactly the opposite.

i have myself flourished on the principle that keep prices low and higher sales will compensate the profits. for ebay on much larger magnitude, the same thing holds much more true. after the survey, i was actually expecting charges to fall down. exactly opp has happened.

its not about 0.5% increase in PP. we will surely pass on to buyers. but the price sensitive indians will go elsewhere then!!

Various surveys have proven that the buyers stick to a seller not only for price advantage but also due to knowledge of rules and processes, previous pleasant experience and lethargy to do anything different.

by increasing prices, we are literally encouraging him to try somewhere else. if he gets comfortable with other websites even once, that customer is lost to ebay for ever. Cost of retaining a customer is many times more than getting one. as an MBA graduate, i can confidently say that i have not doubt that ebay is hitting itself on foot. once the customers and ey sellers leave, a roll back then will also be of no use. so time to act is now.

Ebay team: kindly think about this. nothing is fixed. there is no harm in rolling back ur decision if new information comes to light. i have no doubt you will make more money by keeping the charges same or even lowering them down a bit

warm regds-- jasmine_collections
Message 91 of 120
latest reply

zeddsdelhi
Community Member
Hello Sellers,
I agree with all the Sellers on ebay.
Ebay has been increasing the prices again and again.
It is a totally buyer oriented market. This increase in FVF and PP Fees will force small sellers and many mid-level sellers to shut their business on ebay.

Nowadays, the costs are increasing and profits are decreasing.

As per our fellow seller's comments, we are paying 18% commission to ebay and how much do we get, just 2%.

I think we have to start looking for some alternatives to sell our products nationwide. Because selling on ebay is equal to doing charity.

Along with many other seller's even i think, i'll have to reduce the no of listings and increase the prices.

Hope all these comments would be read by ebay's senior authorities and they do something to retain their top seller's.

TC.

Tarun R
(Zeddsdelhi)
Message 92 of 120
latest reply

abs.rads
Community Member
Post my earlier message in this thread, I'm already on a lookout for an alternative to eBay selling... Any suggestions will be highly appreciated...

eBay part is over for sure unless they decide to relook at the situation and instead of hiking the fee, they think of measures to reduce it to give more breather to the sellers... Simple game folks !!!... We are your revenue source (Indeed buyers are as well, but if sellers won't be there, buyers can't generate revenue for you on their own)... we are the ones who pay you hefty fee so you MUST take note of seller's situation and not make life a peril for them out here !!!
Message 93 of 120
latest reply

indconcepts
Community Member
Hello,

I feel nothing is going to change as far as ebay Fees are concerned.

Many of the Sellers would look out for other selling avenues.

Some would quit as no one can afford to sell at a loss.

There are many Sellers who work quite hard to earn Bread and Butter for themselves ..... and Cheese for ebay.
These Sellers may not quit as ebay is their only source of income ..... they would surely try to cope up with the changed scenario.

Here are few Tips for those who would still like to continue ....

1. Avoid selling low value Items.

2. Don't Offer EMI.

3. Avoid consuming the increased Fees due to fear of loosing the business. Wait & Watch the changed scenario for a couple of weeks.

4. Do not List same Item in Multiple Listings.

5. The most important ..... wish ebay .... "GET WELL SOON" .... everytime when you visit this Thread.
This would be the best way to show our protest against the increased Fees.

Let's make this thread the longest one by wishing ebay again and again ..... That's because the system has gone ill.

ebay ..... "GET WELL SOON". .

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Message 94 of 120
latest reply

linusstudios
Community Member
E-Bay has been one of the best and easiest portal to do business in. It has been the leader in India amongst all e-commerce portals. There has been a tremendous rise in number of sellers and buyers and also in terms of the transaction or business happening on the site.

If business or turnover of ebay was say 10 crore per day before 3 years today it will be no doubt 50 crore per day. e-Bay was having its share- 5% FVF+ 4% Paisapay fees( + listing fees + feature fees + shop fees)it was making over 9 Crore per day. And Now it is making 45 crore per day. With increase in volume , profits too have increased as eBay totally is working on % Based commission.

If technological updates have increased prices, there has also been a mammoth decrease in prices of technological products right from registering a domain name to server costs. So it is really a far fetched excuse.

Payment Gateway Charges have also fallen down considerably. Today the TDR% are as less as 1.75% as per our data and eBay with its volume of business would have no doubt negotiated a better rate.

Also a couple of other excuses like seller protection and chargeback protection are equally lame. We have received chargebacks for 3 orders in last 4 months. where is seller protection.

Sellers providing their mobile numbers on the info are a live 24 hour one man Call Centers. And eBay being such a big site and now charging over 18% in commission cant maintain a 24 hour Call center. Irony.

In apparels there are many sellers working on cataloges, with a fixed price on which they can sell. And with this increase in fees there profits will shrink to almost none.

We still want to know which of the "Key Seller" eBay took into confidence advocated this increase in fees.

Great leaders have always been those who have rectified their mistakes and a couple of times retraced their steps. We sincerely hope eBay being the giant and still the Best online platform will surely take heed to this public outcry and roll back the hike.

Message 95 of 120
latest reply

Dear Abs.rads,

For sellers with strong offline presence, eBay business would be an additional source of revenue as it reaches out nationally and internationally. We have thoroughly analyzed the category margin structure before making these pricing changes and we are sure that categories with low margins are taken care of. However, we suggest you plan your business on eBay accommodating the changes in fee. Going forward, strongly believe that there will be an improvement in sales and sellers will benefit from this.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 96 of 120
latest reply

Dear snap_deal,

With increased conversions, the increase in fee could be offset by the increased Revenues a seller can get from his eBay business if the listings and services are taken care of. We will take sufficient care for new sellers to try and test out the best strategy for eBay.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 97 of 120
latest reply

Dear Coolcircuit,

The increase in FVF+PP fee is 2.5% in a few categories and in categories with low margins, the increase is limited to PP of .5%.

With more rationalized listings and improved visibility, the chances of sale are expected to go up giving the right sellers an opportunity to earn better in terms of absolute revenues from eBay.

We suggest you to plan out your business accommodating these changes and go through the transition to experience the actual cost and business lined up which we are confident would certainly be better than considering fee increase alone.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 98 of 120
latest reply

Dear Rishabh,

We sincerely advise you to plan your business on eBay accommodating the changes in fee.

Going forward, strongly believe that there will be an improvement in sales and sellers will benefit from this.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 99 of 120
latest reply

Dear Style_hut,

The fee changes have been made keeping in mind the overall benefit that will accrue to our sellers in the long term, with increased traffic, more relevant inventory on site and increased conversion rates.

We would advise you to go through the transition phase and experience the benefits that have been intended for you.

As far as shipping costs are concerned, the Shipping Caps had been arrived at after thorough analysis and discussions with courier companies and sellers from different categories. We will be re-looking and revising those as and when required.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 100 of 120
latest reply