Pricing Changes on eBay India

Dear Community Members,

Together with you we have been pursuing the goal of growing the online shopping business in India. To do this we have been investing continuously, along with our seller-members, to achieve the common objective of buyer delight.

Changes in eBay Fees: Post discussions with our key sellers across categories and after understanding the commercial dynamics of the ‘supply-chain’ in various product categories, we have made changes to the eBay.in fee structure and these can be viewed on the announcement board.

We would be conducting an online workshop tomorrow from 4 to 5 PM on this thread & we encourage you attend this Workshop, or use our Customer Support Resources to help you understand the overall Fees changes.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

esnstore
Community Member
Hello,

We deal in Dietary Supplements, firstly there in NO category for us.

We have to forcefully list in Others in Health, Perfume, Personal Care category.

Please make a specific category for Dietary Supplements as listed in ebay.com

Also do note that in our field margins are very razor thin. You've seen 8 sellers already ran out of ebay by not paying ebay fees.

We're oldest member of dietary supplements over ebay.

Kindly look into it. Due to increased pricing over ebay and low pricing in market, people prefer local market now.

Regards,
ESNStore.
Message 81 of 120
latest reply

Dear brandstoreanand,

We have noticed that you sell mostly in the Mobile Accessories category. There is not price increase in this category.

Also, we have increased the PaisaPay charges ensuring that sellers are left with sufficient margins.

The nominal listing fee of 25 paise has been introduced to ensure that no listing is free and thereby only serious and relevant listings are done on the site.

Regards,
eBay Team
Message 82 of 120
latest reply

Dear Seema,
I saw your comment. "Also, we have increased the PaisaPay charges ensuring that sellers are left with sufficient margins". (this has been cut & pasted from there)
Will you please elaborate as how this increase in Paisa Pay charges will culminate into more margins for the sellers.
Since Paisa Pay is just one option and there are 4 more options for the buyer to choose his mode of payment, why should the 'Buy it now' price include the Paisa Pay fees? Why cant we have a "Buy it now" price without the 4.5% fees. The buyer should be given option at check out and be apprised of 4.5% additional charges on Paisa Pay option. He should then be left to decide whether he wants to go for Paisa Pay mode or choose other available options.
This way the buyer will, at least not blame the seller for selling at high price. We all pay for the good things in life. Nothing comes free. So let him decide if he wants the 'good' protection that comes with Paisa Pay or wish to avail the free protection enshrined by the constitution of India through Consumer Protection Act 1986, suitably amended later and made applicable on all online purchases. That's the only way buyers will not be under wrong impression that eBay sellers are fleecing them. When 4 other options of payment does not warrants this 4.5% fees its wrong and unethical to make every "Buy it now" price inclusive of Paisa Pay fees of 4.5%. And because of this 4.5% some sellers find different ways to make the prospective buyer to communicate with them before placing order; I should say,before clicking on 'Buy it now'. I wasn't surprised to see few listings of costly graphic cards wherein the seller has mentioned in the title line, after the name of the item, "On Order". What does it mean? Most of us only procure the item after receiving the order. By writing in the title itself - "On Order" isn't the seller trying that the buyer should contact him before buying so that he can re-negotiate the price against direct payment.
Its open secret that eBay tries to get each & every order thru Paisa Pay and seller tries the other way - because there's not much sale to earn living solely thru eBay selling.
The intelligent people tries to make more money, like eBay, even on less sales. Whereas a genius will try to increase the sales with low margins, and still make the same or even more profit.Its high time for eBay to realize that customers cant be made happier lot at the cost of seller. When item returns due to wrong address or house locked remark, why eBay hesitate to deduct the shipping and as well as handling charges from the buyer before giving him full refund. All these things add up to the selling price of all the items. With due apologies, a wage earner cannot ever get into the shoes of businessman, to realize what exactly doing business tastes & feels! Many of your customer support executives appears to be waiting for a 'break' and you never know when one gets the break so why waste time & energy learning about the job. May be, they are not being given first class tickets to deliver the first class job. May be the eBay thinks that we sellers don't deserve the first class support.They may sound very helpful, they may also talk very nicely but at the end of the day what matters is the resolution to your problem.
I'm eagerly looking forward to know about the mysterious relationship of my margins, as a seller and the increase of Paisa Pay fees.
Thanks & God bless!
Message 83 of 120
latest reply

ez_shoppe
Community Member
eBay has been profir making for all their lives. Whats the need for this hike in fees?

Cos you guys are popular? I think 7% to pay as fees is just about too much. What do you guys think the sellers here have a 40% margin? To pay eBay 7% and then Paisapay - cos you guys wanna shove it down our throats!!

FLEECING!!

EBAY - NOT DONE
Message 84 of 120
latest reply

style_hut
Community Member
I think I am going to pull away from eBay and remove all my listings because of this unnecessary and highly Inconvenient "HIKE IN THE eBay FEES".

This is more that disgusting.......
The courier charges is so high these days and eBay is so Consectrated in its Greed for More and More Money.

This is Really Bad eBay....Very Bad
Message 85 of 120
latest reply

ris1294
Community Member
Dear Sellers,
No matter what you say Ebay selling policy would not change. You have to decide whether you can make money in that fee structure or not.
Ebay pushed the same fees is US and other markets with Meg Whitman ex CEO telling sellers about the technology and marketing costs increasing. In the process she became one of the highest paid CEO's in US. Sales were increasing without any increase in number of listings.
Lot of sellers left for Amazon hassle free selling which forced Ebay to make change for fixed price listing.
I was going to start a new business but 5% paisa pay cost and another 7.7% FVF makes it difficult.
I am sure technology costs have not gone up that high to increase 0.5% paisa pay costs.
In US also paypal has the highest payment gateway costs and Ebay has considers payment gateway as the biggest business in future.
Amount for a merchandise a buyer in India is willing to pay is no where near what a US buyer pays at Ebay.
In India most buyers use online purchase to pay less where in US many use it for convenience.
I would still try to list the items I am planning to sell with higher costs and see what is the response.

Rishabh
Message 86 of 120
latest reply

coolcircuit
Community Member
Time to create our own ecommerce sites.
eBay isn't a good marketplace for selling anymore.

Example: 7% FVF and 4.5% PPF and 10.33% ST on that, it just means that almost 14% money gone.

Now, for example we sell an item of 5000 rupees, then eBay takes 700 rupees and left is 4300 rupees.(without inserttion fees)

Now to the shipping, an average 1KG parcel through Bluedart or DTDC national delivery(air) would cost 180 rupees. So 4300-180=4120 rupees.

Now we have to print declaration letter, shipping label, order statement, etc. so 4120-20=4100rupees.

In packing and handling we spend about 20 rupees, so 4100-20=4080 rupees.

Now, if the item was decorated with gallery features, some 200 rupees also spent. So 4080-200=3880

So, we selling at 5000 but getting 3880 . But still ebay says that it has taken decision after proper investigation.

So, what does ebay investigated? That we buy an item for 2500-3000 and sell in ebay at 5000? (Because unless that price margin is there, selling on ebay won't carry our food cost)
Message 87 of 120
latest reply

snap_deal
Community Member
I am a pretty new fellow here trying to make a space for myself in the ebay world and believe that this price change comes to me as a nasty surprise.

7% FVF + 4.5% PPF + insertion + fee 10.33% ST + our own sourcing and packing costs. All this for me means about a 20% of sales price.

Do the sellers make this much margins in the tough competition. For me currently it is a very tough task.

I may try for some time, but then I am sure to give up.
When I say I here I represent a all those buddying sellers like me. Its exit time for people like me.
Message 88 of 120
latest reply

abs.rads
Community Member
Great Work !!!

I'm already done with eBay selling... It is better to look for local customers by selling the products locally and advertising coupled with offering equivalent or lesser discounts than the EVER SO HIGH eBAY fee. Looks like by selling on eBay, we are actually selling our products for eBay by paying them the cream of our margin and then striving on peanuts ourselves. This new hike in the fee structure would surely lead to even poorer seller / buyer experience. I am not willing to buy a product for 4500/- from my countrywide distributor and then selling the product for 5000/- out of which I would pay almost 490/- for eBay fee / shipping etc... Selling a product for 5000/- for merely 10/- gain?? A BIG NO !!! I would rather sell the same product physically for 4700 to a local buyer....

Please ask your call center geeks to stop calling me asking for reasons for no listings as there won't be any !!!

GAME OVER !!!
Message 89 of 120
latest reply

gizmobhai
Community Member
i feel that while as sellers we have all the reasons to feel the way we are, but eventually and in the long term we sellers have no identity without the buyers.
buyers in india are very particular. in the face of that, ebay still have to attract them and also ward off competition.
buyers can run away to another competition much more easily than sellers.
e commerce is still in infancy. the buyer expereince needs to be EXcellent so that their confidence grows and it spreads with word of mouth which will eventially help us.
all in all, we sellers need to keep reinventing ourselves to keep buyers happy and take things in stride.
if we were so dissatisfied and not making money, we would not have been here at the first place.
so lets stop cribbing and see what best can be done to keep improving our performances
Message 90 of 120
latest reply