Marketplace Policy Discussion

rohit@ebay.com
Community Member
One of the big areas of concern amongst our community over the past few months has been the policies on the site, and the consequences of violating these policies (warnings, suspensions, etc.). We have made some changes to this process, which we would like to share with you.

To highlight the key focus areas for us:

1. Making policies easy to understand
We have rewritten our policy pages in straightforward language to make policies easier to understand. (To learn more, please visit our Policy Hub page - http://pages.ebay.in/help/policies/index.html)

2. Educating members about policies
We have created educational materials on the site designed to help members understand and comply with our policies. We now have five online tutorials available for Intellectual Property & VeRO, Shill Bidding, Fee Circumvention, Feedback, and Search & Browse Manipulation.

3. Enforcing policy violation consequences and mitigation
We’ll be adding more consequences in 2006. These include:

Restricting repeat policy violators’ ability to sell for a period of time – Depending on how often a seller has violated our policies in a 90-day period, they may be required to complete a 15-minute tutorial or they could be restricted from listing new items for up to 3 days.
Retaining eBay fees when cancelling a repeat violator’s listings for List Practices violations – If a seller repeatedly violates policies in a 90-day period despite previously having taken a tutorial on those policies, we’re going to keep their feature fees on subsequent listing cancellations for policy violations.

4. Making it easy to detect policy violations
We are looking at adding a "Report this Item" link at the bottom of every item page.

This thread is for our users to discuss about these changes, and provide feedback to us. Staff from our Trust & Safety team will be regularly reading and responding to your posts.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Community Development Team

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Buyer Engagement Team
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

hi2k_soho
Community Member
Great Work !
A Well thought Out And A Welcome Announcement .. Will Help A lot To Genuine Sellers Who At Times Cross The Limits Unknowingly ...
point no : 4 : please incorporate the "Report this Item" link , it will be very very helpful

regards / hitesh http://stores.ebay.in/1hi2k
http://search.ebay.in/_W0QQsassZhi2kQ5fsoho
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
These changes are most welcome! Hope it will be Live soon. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

sastaitshop
Community Member
Ya the last one is most welcome.

i might have not reported many products because of the missing link. The confusing matrix of Contact us link and copying the item id was hectic..

Regards !!sAsTaITsHop!!

:) Sunny 🙂
!!sAsTaITsHop!!

:) Sunny 🙂
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

anupamsircar
Community Member
I am impressed by your efforts to improve the buy-sell experience on ebay.

Nevertheless, I am of the opinion that the penalties being proposed sound a little too light to act as a deterrent. The penalties should be such that violators are no longer back in circulation.

I listed my car for sale with local pick-up and now the buyer is asking me to ship the car to UK!!!!!

It has to be appreciated that a buyer/seller is spending his time and energy for genuine deals and not to be exposed to such pranks.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

indconcepts
Community Member
I hope ebay developes some software to detect major violations and is not totally dependent upon the Community. IndConcepts logo7

http://stores.ebay.in/IndConcepts

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

yash@ebay.com
Community Member
Dear indconcepts

The violations keep changing and community plays an improtant role in giving constant feedback on the violations which help in improving the software and tools

As you might know technology would have limitations and the ebay community plays an important role to overcome some of these limitations

Thanks

Yash Regards

Yash
Regards

Yash
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

indconcepts
Community Member
Dear Yash.....Thanks for the reply.

Making Policies, Educating members, Enforcing Policy violation consequenses & Making it easy to detect policy violations..........you need Community all the time.

I just wanted to say that if ebay can develop software, for maybe few standard violations, which can work independently and without any help from Community then the growth of the Community in learning the site would be much faster.

Umang Midha .

IndConcepts logo7

http://stores.ebay.in/IndConcepts

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

a4akshay
Community Member
Hi eBay -

I read the Safe Payment Announcement posted recently.

I used the Search by title and description feature to see words Western union and bidpay used in item descriptions.

There are over 2000+ items which have these words in the item description.

The community is always there to report items like these but we don't get enough time for it.

Any other solutions?

Regards,
Akshay
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi a4akshay,

I understand your concern that some sellers are still offering Western Union / Bid Pay in their listings. Another issue as mentioned by you is that the process of reporting violating items is time consuming.

Currently, we are educating our users to make sure that they are aware of the new policy. We are also actively monitoring the site to pull down listings that are violating the policy.

Community reports helps eBay in taking faster action. Therefore, to make it easier for community members to report violations, we are working on a project to introduce 'report the item link' in the item page itself. As soon as the feature is live on site, we will be making an announcement regarding the same. Stay Tuned!

Warm Regards,
Sapana
Message 10 of 10
latest reply