Duplicate Listings Policy

abhi@ebay.com
Community Member
Dear Sellers,

A lot of you have pointed out the fact that many sellers are committing violations of the duplicate listings policy. I’m sure we all agree that this results in a very unpleasant experience for buyers who see pages and pages of the same items. It also affects other sellers whose items are not easily visibly due to all the duplicate listings.

As we see it there can be a couple of reasons for allowing multiple listings:

a) A seller may want to offer the same product across multiple formats e.g. one in Fixed Price and one in Auctions
b) All sellers will agree that they never want their products to be off the site so will create a new listing before the old one ends.

By this logic, duplicate listings should not exceed 4 at any given point of time (2 per format). We are considering a change in the duplicate listings policy along these lines and would like to understand your views and get your feedback on the subject.

Specifically we would like to understand if as sellers you think there are any other cases for which additional duplicate listings should be permitted. I would also like to advise that the process of changing any policy takes some time at our end, so any change if at all, would take some time to become effective.

With Regards,
Abhi.
Regards,
Abhi
Category Management.

Regards,
Abhi
Category Management.
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Hello,

My experience as a seller says that Multiple quantity listing do not work for high value proudct. They may work for low value products.

Have a look at the following listing:

http://cgi.ebay.in/Orite-MPEG4-Digital-Video-Camera-with-1-year-warranty_W0QQitemZ7557301747

Home Page and Category Feauted. Total spend Rs.160/- down the drain. NOT a sigle peice sold.

And simple logic, if 10 listing are allowed GLOBALLY, there is no reason to curtail it to 4 in India.

Give me one reason what is different in India to receive such special treatment?

Do not harrass sellers for your inabilities to charge listing fees.

When you want to suspend sellers for not less than 30 days you give such vague reasons as Payment Surchage when it is a fact of life than India banks levy a charge for Outsation cheque clearing and there is no way a charge of Rs.55/- can be built in a product of Rs.49/- - Rs.99/- stating that is is global policy.

When you grace to give the sellers the dignity of either explaining their position or giveing them an opportunity to correct them, why these ridiculous restictions on sellers only for India???

Stick to your global pocliies in all other matters too.

Do you think that these uncivilised brown people have to be reined in?

Come clear - do you guys really beleive that the Indian sellers are not fit to be part of the global community?

Why are Indian sellers not being sent :

Warning mails for policy violation?

Emails when their items are pulled down?

Why completed listings are pulled down for mulitple listing policy?

Why are we not allowed to give contact information in our listings as in all other eBay sites?

Why a thousand other things - in the name of a nascent market?

Come clean once and for all!
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

On a more logical note:

If you start having a restriction of 4 listing per item, what is going to stop the seller(s) fron having 10 ids and listing the same item 40 times.

Do you have any system in place which will tell you which id belongs to which seller?

I personally know seller(s having 10 ids registred in 5 different names with 5 addresses.

I know it for a fact that 50% of super/power sellers suspended for any reason are still trading on the site with different ids with different names and addresses.

So please be logical and do not take such rash decissions which will only affect the busniess of genuine sellers and only give opportunity to unsruppulous sellers to invent more ways to circument eBay.in rules.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

ristcomputers
Community Member
Hi Abhi,

A nominal insertion fee of Rs 1 per listing would do the magic. It would weed out multiple listings and ebay would not have to look for multiple listings and can concentrate more on fruitful activities.

we would also suggest that the featured listings wherein the sellers are paying for the listing should not be counted as multiple listings.

The cap of 4 listings would ruin the sales of sellers who sell in auctions. We need to list auction in single quatity since multple quantity auctions are not successful on ebay( atleast the high value items).

As in other Ebay sites wherein insertion fee is charged, the sellers list more than 10 times the same item and still no action is taken against them, but the number of such sellers is very low. Let the sllers who can pay insertion fee for particular item list as many no of times and do away with the multiple listing problem.

When we have the global site and global policies why not the insertion fee.

we toatlly agree with the posting made by my dear friend cameras_n_such.

Best Regards
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

sanjay-k
Community Member
These are all views of the sellers. As a buyer, I get very irritated to see pages and pages of the same product at the same price from the same seller. There must be some way of saving buyers from this menace. I agree that curtailing the number of listings is not the answer. Maybe there should be a graded fee structure which increases after a certain number thereby discouraging multiple listing done solely with a view to elbow out other genuine sellers. maybe after 4 duplicate listings, the seller shoudle be charged on a increasing rate of fees.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

ristcomputers
Community Member
Hi,

One major irritant on site is listings of 1 paisa auction with high delivery charges. As soon a link of 1 paisa auction is clicked the buyer gets to see pages after pages of listings starting at 1 paisa with high delivery charges with clear intention of selling the item at Re1, thereby making a mockery of 1paisa auction.

The sellers selling genuinely high value items are featured on 3rd or fourth page even if the listing is ending the same day.

The promotion links of one paisa atleast can be modified featuring items with atleast 3-4 bids.

This will eliminate hordes of 1 paisa listings intended to be sold at Re1 only and make the link useful to genuine bidders.

Best Regards
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

nisha_online
Community Member
Every one has their own views . But the real fact is the more the visibility of the item, the more the item will sell.

So generally what everyone does is Jus relist relist relist.

There is no single way to stop this multiple listing policy . If you ask me , I can say that 40% of the ebay.in items are duplicated .

Same seller , Having different Ids , Listing the same items. This is what it happens .... There are certain ways to control them....

1. A seller should not have more than 2 id's
2. A seller can list any no of items , But not more than 2 identical items should close unsold on the same day ... So products which sell will have no problems here

Charging listing fees will scare 50% of the current ebay sellers to stop listing , and the market getting much tuffer day by day .. it will not be a feasible Business for sellers.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

kschwabi440
Community Member
A very simple solution would be to add a search option
that says "only show 1 item from each seller".

I suppose the sellers wouldn't like it, but as a buyer,
I would use it frequently.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

runalaila_in1
Community Member
talking about what is good and what is bad ...there are people with more than 10 listings of a same item / same price / same description regularly listing ... but ebay relies only on community members to report such items ... if you are really concerned about what is good and what is not ... employ a few people to at least monitor people who meet your existing laws instead of relying on the community and then think about deploying newer laws 🙂
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

atulnc1
Community Member
I WOULD STRESS ON PRODUCT TO BE LISTED IN RIGHT CATEGORIES,
ALSO
MAX 2 LISTINGS PER PRODUCT MUST AT LEAST BE ALLOWED,BUT NOT IN THE SAME CATEGORY.
THIS IS BECAUSE STILL EBAY.IN IS NOT SUCCESSFUL TO STOP THE FRAUD NIGERIAN BUYERS,WHO BUY THE PRODUCT AND END THE LISTINGS,SOMETIMES AS MUCH AS 5 LISTINGS ARE ALSO NOT ENOUGH.
AN INCIDENT HAPPENED WHEN A BUYER BROUGHT ALL OF MY 7 PRODUCT WHICH WERE LISTED MULTILY 7*2=14 THE SAME DAY,AND THE BUYER WAS A FRAUD.
PLZ LOOK INTO THIS MATTER,BECAUSE THIS IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT.

ATUL
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

rishitex2003
Community Member
ebay is made restriction for listing on auction because of non payment by fraud Buyers who buy items and did not make payment.

we have to pay ebay selling charges and after few days we have to made claim for refund. if we forget we loose our money.

ebay has no control on Fraud Buyer who just making only enjoyment and no transaction. The said buyers may be deleted or restricted to take part in Auction for some time like you make restriction on seller instead of mischief done by buyer.

even after lapse of time limit of ebay we have send so many mails but no reply except automated answer.

if you see and read this message kindly do us a favour and oblige as our sales is highly affected .
thanks
Message 20 of 20
latest reply