MRP Rs.60 sold at Rs.99 ! ! !

subhonet
Community Member
I have bought two Sugandhim product (8 ml perfume pack) on 15.7.12 which was delivered beyond due date. But what is astonishing that the products are sold at Rs.99 each when the price over the pack clearly written Rs.60 inclusive of all taxes. This practice should not be encouraged by eBay. No product can be sold over MRP. I therefore would request to refund the excess price charged on MRP.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: MRP Rs.60 sold at Rs.99 ! ! !

Its an idiotic point. There is absolutely no way one can sell at MRP unless he is himself the manufacturer or is modifying the MRP label on the product himself.

For instance, I sold a calculator, whose MRP is 120 for 199

The "over informed" buyer has raised a claim for the remaining balance to be refunded to him. Now, I will approach a claim like this with heavy cynicism and bias because the "buyer" wants the privilige of "buying" something sitting from the comfort of his home but is unwilling to pay for the 'service' he is getting. I ll get back to this 'service' point later.

Now, lets take a look at what it costs for me to acquire this product and list it on ebay and then sell it.

INR 75.00 product cost on wholesale

INR   5.00 per product to ship it to my warehouse.

INR   2.00 Insertion fee

INR   3.00 Special 30 Day duration fee

INR 10.00 Final Value Fee

INR 80.00 Shipping Fee on avg - most of my customers have been beyond the 2000 km range

INR 20.00 Shipping overhead - For printing labels and travel cost - Courier centre not close to my warehouse.

Total So far : INR 195

Effective profit INR 5

But wait, lets not forget the Paisapay fees I pay on this. For every product worth INR 199 I receive INR 188.74

So now my profit lies at Negative INR 6.26

Question arises why would I sell for a mere profit of 5 Rupees right? Surely I must be a lying coniving greedy imbecile who's making 100 bucks per product sold.

But the truth is, I am not. I am a new seller, the established sellers on ebay ship through powerselling shipping program which costs them something like 35 - 40 per item (for each calculators). But to qualify for that I need to sell around 30 products in the last 30 days that is according to my account manager from ebay with whom I have spoken

OR

Have a minimum of 100 transactions and INR 144,000 in sales over the past 12 months. According to the text on the powerseller page.

That is my and every seller's goal to break that untouchable brass ceiling, not only on ebay but on any ecommerce platform, once we're beyond that 'lakshman rekha' we can start to churn in some profits. Also I am selling another product where the profit margin is high and I get to negate the effect of the loss that I face when I sell these calculators.

Lets get back to that 'service' that I referred to earlier. If you as a buyer want to buy stuff online, be that a TV or a chocolate, you are essentially avoiding the trouble of going out of your doors and avoid that travel and time cost. But you're not actually avoiding it, you are in essense deligating that task to the seller and the shipper. They do the travelling for you, you have to understand that as  seller we can only charge you for the overheads, no one else will provide that to us. It still takes time and money to get that item to you and you HAVE to pay that because is the service you are getting and no, you are not entitled to that service when you pay the MRP on online products.

The indivisual sellers on ebay are not Flipkart or Amazon where we can ship the product to you because of bulk sales, I myself have sold only 14000 worth of products in the last 6 months, averaging 4 - 5 sales per month, that is no where near the 'bulk volumes' with which Amazon or Flipkart have.

Hence, whenever I see idiotic claims like these I can't help but roll my eyes to the back of my head out of the sheer agony and apathy in responding to such claims. But hey! I must!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Re: MRP Rs.60 sold at Rs.99 ! ! !

Another logical question would be why not simply list the product with Original price & the rest as shipping?

The answer to that question would again be met with sarcasm but let me try to be as clear as I can.

First of all, technically all the charges that I am paying as a seller is not just shipping charge.

What do I call the expense on my part that I spend on packing material, printing labels & bills, travel cost to get all these done?

Secondly,

Buyers are always more attracted to listings that have free shipping. People love the idea of 'free' stuff. When you go to a shopping sale do you think you are paying a discount? Or do the shopkeepers overprice their products and then give a discount on that?

Even in one of ebay's own selling tips documentation it is mentioned that to increase traffic to your listing you can include the shipping charge in your listing price and put up the listing as 'free shipping'.

Offcourse majority of the buyers raising claims on such issues are not interested in using their grey matter for a change.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply