cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does a seller have to be a cheater to succeed on ebay?

Hello,

I have been bringing up this topic again and again on the site.

Why are seller being allowed to charged excessive VAT?

VAT / CST rate on computers and IT products is just 4% and most sellers are charing 12.5%

Similar is the case in many other categories.

Many sellers charge vat in their listings but are not registered dealers and if they are registered dealers they do now show their ebay sales in their tax returns.

So, it seems you need to cheat customers to make a sale on ebay. In order to attract buyers, you need to keep your offer price lowest but charge excessive vat ans s&h.

Is there going to be a solution to this or am I just banging my head against a wall?

Devesh
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

akaggarwal_eshop
Community Member
I think the ideal structure is that all prices should be inclusive of all taxes for complete transparency however an issue may arise if a seller has different VAT % for different states - i don't really know the occurrence of such listings but if very less then a tax inclusive cost structure would be a good thing to implement and will have minimal complications.

Also eBay has to make sure that sellers who are charging VAT are paying that amount to the govt. and are giving the buyers a genuine invoice showing that amount. As suggested all sellers who are charging VAT, should have completed the KYC formalities and their genuine TIN no. should be known to eBay - before completing this process, a seller may not select the option for charging VAT.

On a related note as suggested, even eBay India should have a sort by "price + shipping" option.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

cochinmall
Community Member
In my opinion, the vat option should be removed. If all the sellers have to go for KYC process, it could create a stir for sellers selling in various categories.

If sellers do want to charge vat as extra along with the final price, then those sellers need to undergo KYC process. Lets hope for the best.

Regards
Rahul
cochinmall
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

assemblerz
Community Member
Today ebay will resolve issues of VAT by announcements!!
Message 23 of 23
latest reply