cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does a seller have to be a cheater to succeed on ebay?

Hello,

I have been bringing up this topic again and again on the site.

Why are seller being allowed to charged excessive VAT?

VAT / CST rate on computers and IT products is just 4% and most sellers are charing 12.5%

Similar is the case in many other categories.

Many sellers charge vat in their listings but are not registered dealers and if they are registered dealers they do now show their ebay sales in their tax returns.

So, it seems you need to cheat customers to make a sale on ebay. In order to attract buyers, you need to keep your offer price lowest but charge excessive vat ans s&h.

Is there going to be a solution to this or am I just banging my head against a wall?

Devesh
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

sandisk-eshop
Community Member
Hello,
I would like to bring up a point to notice , earlier during baazee.com , sellers had a option to charge to buyers for Paisa Pay charges , now eBay expects us sellers to work in within the costing of the same .

In the same way , I personally feel , sellers should not be allowed to add VAT to the transaction . He should put a price , VAT inclusive .

Since ebay cannot verify that the seller charging VAT is actually paying VAT , it make sense to remove VAT column all together .

Further most Sellers are selling INTER-STATE , where they should be charging C.S.T (NOT VAT) , to the buyer , equal to 10% ( since most buyer will not issue c-form) or the % of VAT in his state which ever higher . Hence even the model of charging VAT is flawed .

eBay India , Please look into this matter in detail .

I am not saying seller who are charging extra are not geniune , in this hyper competitive marketplace of ebay , its tough for seller to get sales even after posting low prices .

Kartik
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Friends,

Lets keep this topic live by posting atleast once a week till ebay comes up with a solution for the same.

I have always run an ethical business and I not want to stop the practice to earn a few rupees more.

But if the practice or charging higher vat rate than actual continues, I do not know how long any ethical seller will be able to continue selling.

I just heard that an ebay seller had one of his bill with higher vat / cst (than actual) confisticated by the sales tax dept. and he had to pay penalties / bribes of over one lakh of ruppees.

-----------

Devesh
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

grabdeals_in1
Community Member
Rahul,

Beware of trojans,download zone alaram software trial version and checkout,it works great to protect your system,wifi firewall etc features,doesnt slow ur system either!

Regards
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

assemblerz
Community Member
This thread says: "eBay, Forget me Not !"
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

assemblerz
Community Member
Waiting for an update since last 20 days of a Pink Post !
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

cochinmall
Community Member
Cheers to ebay.The VAT issue would be resolved by march 31st as said in the announcements!!

What more would one want to hear!!
:-)

Regards
Rahul
cochinmall
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

akaggarwal_eshop
Community Member
Hello,

Its reassuring to see that eBay has decided to take the opinions of its seller community seriously. I have had concerns regarding sellers charging 12.5% VAT just to be able to list the item at a relatively lower price at make the listing show up higher when sorted by "lower price first".

Personally i do not believe in charging anything over the buy it now price + shipping as many sellers may not be aware of the same and may feel cheated - also it creates an un-level playing field when the same product from various sellers is compared as the "buy it now" price of some sellers is not the final price.

I think a relatively simple move by eBay should be to display "additional charges applicable" and a link to the seller's VAT table right next to the item price in the listing for seller's charging VAT so that buyers are aware of the same. Also in search results these listings should show the price marked by an asterisk (Ex. 1000*) with "additional taxes applicable" clearly mentioned underneath.

I'll be awaiting eBay's decision on this policy and thank you to team eBay India for addressing this issue ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

assemblerz
Community Member
The best option is to remove VAT option completely and while sorting the price a new option should be added like (Lowest Price + Shipping). This is done in many websites. The shipping charges should be the actual shipping charges to buyer based on his registered address pincode.

This would make sure that no other charges are levied as VAT will be built in the but it now price. Hence this will show real prices to the buyers.

OR

If ebay wants to show VAT, it should show some icon besides the sellers name saying the seller is certified VAT seller or something similar to gain buyer trust that buyer will really receive a genuine invoice.

Lets hope ebay does something really good and not just namesake ! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Dear eBay,
Why not make things more Genuine by making it compulsory for all sellers to provide genuine Tax Invoice to all buyers and the prices of the item should be inclusive of tax.

eBay can get all the details about the seller,Like CST Number and other details similar to KYC.

Some sellers are really making good money by charging Sales tax to buyers but not providing valid invoice!

I hope for a positive reply from eBay.

Best Regards,
Deep Agarwal.
Shree Krishna Gems

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

assemblerz
Community Member
ebay should do a KYC of atlease powersellers before they are allowed to charge VAT.
KYC should include the CST/VAT details.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply