cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dangerous loophole in eBay policy for sellers

I came across a case typically to prove that the feedback policy of eBay, wherein buyers are given freedom to slap negative feedback at their wish and the seller to be at receiving end, can be used as an effective tool forcing the seller to budge to pressures of partial refund or else face negative feedback.
One buyer from Agarthala has bought Powerbank and on receipt complained that it did not work properly, when given suggestions he complained again that the cable was faulty and in third mail demanded 50% refund to get positive feedback. I felt very bad on this and I advised him not to keep under functioning gadget and he was given freedom to return and get refund. He was going on corresponding without returning for some time and finally returned after finding that I could not be frightened by such black mail.
I found the returned Gadget worked well and was fully satisfied with the functions. But I gave him replacement immediately with a new piece which was thoroughly tested before shipping and found working properly.
To my surprise, he mailed me to refund. I informed him that a replacement was sent immediately and his mail was belated.
He had received the replacement and complained that it did not work. I advised him to send it back immediately but he was going on dodging and finally sent it back. Before sending, he cleverly took video to show that the Gadget Power Bank does not charge any mobiles. The fun was the Power Bank had no charge (as he must have short circuited it ) and he never talked about that but complained that the gadget did not charge any mobile. He sent it back with elaborate request to ship replacement after thoroughly checking for its proper work.

This happened and now the case is with Trust and Safety team and will happen to any seller at any time if a buyer knows this trick and has a perverted mind like this Agartala buyer. It may be rare but a very high risk loophole in the eBay policy for sellers.

Every time I sent product I record by video to prove that the Gadget worked fine and also to prove that the contents and packing were as declared.

When a seller claims that he sent very good working product and the buyer claiming that he received product which failed to work, how could the eBay Trust and Safety team decide?

The buyer is very sure that the eBay will never take any action affecting the buyer by experience. The seller knows that eBay rarely helps buyer in any disputes.

This situation is created by eBay only 1.by not allowing the seller to leave negative feedback against the buyer. The buyer is bold to repeat with different ID and he does not need to prove his whereabouts as well. There will be no record to trace such cases for eBay to have a review in their Policy also.
2. Another point is buyer can slap negative feedback without assigning any reason also. The buyer does not need to contact seller by default and try to solve his issues with seller before resorting to filing claim or slapping negative feedback. There is no precondition to avail this freedom of negative feedback or filing claim.
These 2 clauses are very dangerous and make any seller keep lot of distance from eBay after such bad experience. The eBay will never come to know why senior sellers go away from them. Because there is no record with eBay to analyse this and find a solution.

Sellers may have experienced that many buyers are new to eBay and slap negative feedback even if the courier service did not deliver quickly though within time.At Any flimsy reason, the buyer takes the weapon of negative feedback. When they get few successful experience they employ this as a great weapon to handtwist the seller at every opportunity.

I suggest that the eBay may have to restrict the buyer when giving feedback to
1. Buyer should be able to slap negative feedback only if the product was not replaced or the seller refused to refund on return of the product safely with a condition that the buyer should record by video from the receipt of the parcel and testing the gadget and send the video to prove that the gadget was faulty on receipt time itself.
If a buyer claims Rs.30000 worth Camera came with lens broken, when the seller refused to budge his claim of partial refund or any discount, what can a seller do? has he to lose Rs.30000/=?.
2. Seller should be able to slap negative feedback against the buyer. This will ensure that there is a record of how many times a buyer has played mischief. Even if a mischief monger changes his ID with different address, he cannot continue his mischief for many times s of now.
eBay may assume that buyers are honest and have no prejudice to play mischief against the seller. It is true and positive oriented to decide like that when there are no loopholes like above. A very few poor and mean minded or playful mischieves ( though very few ) may play havoc due to this loophole and escape.
Buyers have got very good facility and guarantee that they can return the gadgets within a week and get refund. Then where arises a question of negative feedback.

Why do you want buyer to slap negative feedback if the quality is low? Is it correct to assume that the seller procures all his goods from same supplier to assume that his sales will be always with poor quality products. Is it not common to find that the seller could have been supplied low quality material without his knowledge and he may not have where withall to test the quality. If the eBay wants to show the buyers who are all good sellers or which products are good, there can be a place for remarks but it cannot be a negative feedback.

I have experienced many cases of false claims. I had to prove with video and tracking screen shots. Mischieves have come down due to POWERSHIP facility. Many ordeals faced by sellers were wiped out by POWERSHIP.The above ordeal is pending. Though new problems could have crept in with POWERSHIP, since it is still in the implementation sage.

Hence I earnestly request other members also to express their opinion on this and communicate with eBay to safeguard sellers.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi there !

VERY WELL SAID ! I am myself a seller. And i have faced the same issue with one of the buyer. This is something that i have pointed out in the very beginning. But i am very disappointed because a "SELLER" did this to me after buying an item .

He gave me a negative feedback. And in the comment he wrote that "Excess Shipping Charged for the scrap item". I called the Trust and Safety Team,but they just gave me an advice to sort out this matter myself with the buyer ๐Ÿ˜ž

I know how hard it is sometime to deal with such buyers. He demanded one more item claiming that the item was not good. When i asked him to return back the previous item, he said that you have charged a lot for this one. So send me another one .

What am i supposed to do in such situations? If you are blind at the time of buying that you cannot even decide the Price and Shipping Charge,is that our mistake? For removing the negative feedback left by him which was creating an impact on sales,i have to ship him one more item for no good reasons ๐Ÿ˜ž

GOD SAVE SELLERS FROM SUCH FRAUD BUYERS !
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

c.srinivasan
Community Member
Hi,

You are 100% True. One of my buyer threatened me by saying that he will put negative feedback and i have refunded Rs.50/-by way of recharging his mobile from chennai and the buyer was sitting in Kashmir. Second time he has placed one more order and on receipt of the goods he said i did not mention some technical detail of the product and again he wants refund of Rs.50/-otherwise will put negative feedback.
The full mail conversation is appended below:

Dear c.srinivasan,

Yes but the writing speed is slow and you hv nt mentioned that in your listing. Nw plz recharge my vodafone no. 9796967755 by rs.50 as i dnt want to leave poor feedback for u
On Jun 5, 2013 10:21 PM, "eBay Member: c.srinivasan" <<email address removed per ebay policy>> wrote:

To: muneebzamanmasudi
Subject: Re: c.srinivasan sent a message about Transcend MicroSD Memory Card-8GB, Class-4 #271208017247
Sent Date: 05-Jun-2013 22:21:04 IST

Dear muneebzamanmasudi,

HI,

Did you received the cards? is that ok?

- c.srinivasan
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Another buyer from Howrah has started the same trick. I have advised him to send back the item but instead he claims he does not know what to do. This is the second replacement gadget. The buyer may jump into such dishonest method on seeing the price coming down in the market after he bought it. This is also a big factor to make the buyer become mischievous and behave mean and weired.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply