Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am Tanya. I work in eBay with the seller programs team to help new sellers build their business on eBay. I thought I would share some selling tips which may help you sell more everyday!

LISTING TIPS

• Product: Try uploading unique/hard to find products, that will excite buyers into instant online purchase.

Picture : A good clear picture says more than a detailed description. This is especially true for categories like apparels, jewellery, toys, etc where impulse buying is high. Imagine, you have a nice pair of earring with good description; however picture is such that one can hardly make out the design. I am sure, it will be difficult to find buyers, even at an attractive price. I would also suggest always put your picture on top of the page to attract attention rather than below the description. Show the product from every angle so that the buyer has a clear picture of the product that he would wish to buy.

• Your title must be packed with appropriate keywords relevant to the product so that if any buyer is searching for a product that you have, your listing comes up during search results. Put yourself in the buyers’ shoes and see whether your title has those keywords that you would use for a product while searching for a product similar to what you are selling.

Description once again must be detailed and very transparent. If the product is second hand, mention the same. Do not portray anything that is not true. Once again check whether your description has all the information a buyer would want to know about your product.

Warranty/guarantee Since buyers are making payment in advance for a product they have not physically seen, it would a great idea if you could boost their confidence by providing some sort of warranty/guarantee so that they are rest assured of their purchases.

• Offer as many Payment methods as possible since it allows the buyer to choose a payment method that he is comfortable with. As an advice, you must offer online payment option PaisaPay as most buyers prefer this payment method. It is safe and at the same time the quickest way of closing a transaction successfully.

Some tips Post Sales

• Once you receive a sale, act upon it immediately and get in touch with your buyer either through phone or email. Remember that the buyer at the time of purchase does not have your contact details and does not even know to whom he is sending his money. Therefore always keep in touch with your buyers at every stage so that he has confidence & trust that his money is safe and he will get his product in the specified time period.

• Always be customer service orientated. If possible, go out of his way to help and solve his doubts/clarifications as effectively as possible. Always be prompt in replying to your buyers. Incase the buyers complains about product being faulty or not as per their expectation, try offering replacement.

• Always try to rate your buyers positively which in return fetch you positive points. This helps build your business online as most buyers look at your feedback received by you as a seller for any purchases from you.

Incase a transaction fails due to non payment from your buyer, do report the buyer by following the Unpaid Item Process in time so that you do not end up getting billed for a transaction that was not complete.

General Tips

• Increasing your Portfolio: Try browsing ebay as much as possible and study what is selling at what price points. Try sourcing these products if you can. There are many features on the site that help you understand what is in demand, to name some we have the
o Completed Listing Only feature (InAdvanced Search Section)
o Want it Now Feature
o ebay Pulse
o Market Place Research
These tools give a fair indication of what products buyers are generally searching, buying and want to buy.

• Try to offer competitive price to the extent possible, however at the same time maintaining quality standards.

• Do visit the community boards often and interact with other ebay sellers on their selling experience and pick up some selling tips from them. Also share your experiences or any selling tips that you might have worked well with you.

• Do use some feature listings as this definitely helps get your products under the buyers view and chances of sales increase.

• Do keep yourself updated with the themes/promotions running at all times and if possible upload products accordingly. Do not loose the opportunity of free promotions that ebay provides. All promotions are announced on Announcement Boards Post

Selling on Ebay is easy and at the same time its fun!!! The idea of getting a positive feedback after every successful sale is very exciting for me. Another exciting part is the ability to interact with people from various parts of country, people whom I would have never known otherwise.

The above are my viewpoints. If you agree, disagree or want to offer your viewpoint, or have more questions please feel free to post here.

I hope you will find the above useful!

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 1 of 235
latest reply
234 REPLIES 234

Tips for New Sellers!

jayanta4u
Community Member
Dear Tanya,
They asking for the "Item location" that I'm selling.
I have given my address: "Barrackpore,Kolkata, WB, 700122, India".
But they are saying, "Please specify a valid pincode for the item location.". BUt the pincode 700122 is valid.
So, what would I do?
Message 51 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear onlineshopperstop,

The " Now & New" Option has replaced the " Easy to Buy" Term and functions exactly like the latter.

The Now & New Option helps to attract buyers looking for brand new items.

All you need to do is meet the following requirements:

Enter a Buy It Now price: This will allow buyers to purchase your item immediately for a fixed price. You can use Buy It Now only or add it to your auction.
List your item in new condition: Only brand new items can be listed with Now & New.
Select a return policy: You'll need to allow your buyers to return the item to you within 7, 14 or 30 days after purchase. Please include the details on the Payment & Shipping page.
Specify shipping costs: Enter shipping costs so that your buyers can be confident about the final purchase price

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 52 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear eswar001,

Its great to see your enthusiasm in starting to sell products through eBay.

You may want to start selling products that are lying around in your house.. for e.g. books, furniture, electronic items, gifts that you received but are not using. This will get you well versed with the basic process related to selling.

You can tie up with wholesalers in your city and pick up products from them to sell. Look around for products that are easy to source for you and you can offer at a good price. Alternatively, you can look for unique products that are not easily available else where. Starting with low priced products might be a good idea, since it will be easy for you to get sales.

To know the products that buyers are searching on eBay, you can visit the eBay Pulse http://pulse.ebay.in/

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 53 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear jayanta4u,

Thank you for bringing it to our notice regarding the error in Pincode. Our concerned team has taken note of the same and we would rectify the same at the earliest

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 54 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

houseofmgretail
Community Member
Dear Sir,

How to put product on sell less than 24 hours or two days

Manish
Message 55 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear houseofmgretail,

You may list your item for a 1 day Duration or a 3 day Duration.

However, to list your item under 1 Day period you need to have a minimum feedback of 5 Positive ratings. Until you achieve the same, you may list your item for a minimum of 3 days.

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 56 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

garments_zone
Community Member
Hi
i think the post shall be very helpfull
and i will try to follow more of the above instructions
Garments_zone
Message 57 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

deepak2008
Community Member
Please Tell me how to sell my products online and how to make a bid ? also i would like to ask you how to sell my product at a given price and place on bid ?

keenly waiting for your reply..

thanks,
deepak
Message 58 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear deepak2008,

It's great that you are interested in selling on eBay. Selling on eBay is simple and fast.

To list an item :

a) Click On Sell located on top of all eBay Pages.
b) Select your Category under which you would like to list your item
c) Insert clear and crisp images of your product to attract buyers
d) Write a detailed description explaining the features of your product
e) Select Your Format- Fixed Price or Auction ( bidding)
f) Put in other details such as Payment Methods accepted and Shipping Charges if any
g) Thats it ! Review your listing, check fees applicable and Submit !! Your Listing is live on the site for buyers to view!

a)In order to Sell your Product Under Bidding, You select Auction as a Listing Format.
b)You then need to give it a Starting Price. This is the Price at which the first buyer will place his bid. At the end of the auction the bidder with the highest bidding amount wins the item.
c) You can also choose to put in a Reserve Priceincase you are not sure about what price your auction will close. THe reserve price is that price below which you will not sell your item. If your auction does not cross the reserve price, your auction would not have any winner and hence you do not have to complete the deal

Reserve Price are subject to certain fees. TO know more about the fees, click here http://pages.ebay.in/help/account/fees.html

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 59 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear deepak2008,

Also to add to my previous posts, we conduct Free Training Sessions over the phone whereby our eBay Trainers guide you on how to make a listing. We would be glad to assist you in the same.

If you would be interested, please write in to training.india@ebay.com with your contact details and we would contact you.

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 60 of 235
latest reply