Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am Tanya. I work in eBay with the seller programs team to help new sellers build their business on eBay. I thought I would share some selling tips which may help you sell more everyday!

LISTING TIPS

• Product: Try uploading unique/hard to find products, that will excite buyers into instant online purchase.

Picture : A good clear picture says more than a detailed description. This is especially true for categories like apparels, jewellery, toys, etc where impulse buying is high. Imagine, you have a nice pair of earring with good description; however picture is such that one can hardly make out the design. I am sure, it will be difficult to find buyers, even at an attractive price. I would also suggest always put your picture on top of the page to attract attention rather than below the description. Show the product from every angle so that the buyer has a clear picture of the product that he would wish to buy.

• Your title must be packed with appropriate keywords relevant to the product so that if any buyer is searching for a product that you have, your listing comes up during search results. Put yourself in the buyers’ shoes and see whether your title has those keywords that you would use for a product while searching for a product similar to what you are selling.

Description once again must be detailed and very transparent. If the product is second hand, mention the same. Do not portray anything that is not true. Once again check whether your description has all the information a buyer would want to know about your product.

Warranty/guarantee Since buyers are making payment in advance for a product they have not physically seen, it would a great idea if you could boost their confidence by providing some sort of warranty/guarantee so that they are rest assured of their purchases.

• Offer as many Payment methods as possible since it allows the buyer to choose a payment method that he is comfortable with. As an advice, you must offer online payment option PaisaPay as most buyers prefer this payment method. It is safe and at the same time the quickest way of closing a transaction successfully.

Some tips Post Sales

• Once you receive a sale, act upon it immediately and get in touch with your buyer either through phone or email. Remember that the buyer at the time of purchase does not have your contact details and does not even know to whom he is sending his money. Therefore always keep in touch with your buyers at every stage so that he has confidence & trust that his money is safe and he will get his product in the specified time period.

• Always be customer service orientated. If possible, go out of his way to help and solve his doubts/clarifications as effectively as possible. Always be prompt in replying to your buyers. Incase the buyers complains about product being faulty or not as per their expectation, try offering replacement.

• Always try to rate your buyers positively which in return fetch you positive points. This helps build your business online as most buyers look at your feedback received by you as a seller for any purchases from you.

Incase a transaction fails due to non payment from your buyer, do report the buyer by following the Unpaid Item Process in time so that you do not end up getting billed for a transaction that was not complete.

General Tips

• Increasing your Portfolio: Try browsing ebay as much as possible and study what is selling at what price points. Try sourcing these products if you can. There are many features on the site that help you understand what is in demand, to name some we have the
o Completed Listing Only feature (InAdvanced Search Section)
o Want it Now Feature
o ebay Pulse
o Market Place Research
These tools give a fair indication of what products buyers are generally searching, buying and want to buy.

• Try to offer competitive price to the extent possible, however at the same time maintaining quality standards.

• Do visit the community boards often and interact with other ebay sellers on their selling experience and pick up some selling tips from them. Also share your experiences or any selling tips that you might have worked well with you.

• Do use some feature listings as this definitely helps get your products under the buyers view and chances of sales increase.

• Do keep yourself updated with the themes/promotions running at all times and if possible upload products accordingly. Do not loose the opportunity of free promotions that ebay provides. All promotions are announced on Announcement Boards Post

Selling on Ebay is easy and at the same time its fun!!! The idea of getting a positive feedback after every successful sale is very exciting for me. Another exciting part is the ability to interact with people from various parts of country, people whom I would have never known otherwise.

The above are my viewpoints. If you agree, disagree or want to offer your viewpoint, or have more questions please feel free to post here.

I hope you will find the above useful!

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 1 of 235
latest reply
234 REPLIES 234

Re: Tips for New Sellers!

mirzaakberalikhan
Community Member
Hi there, about your query about the gift card, unfortunately gift cards are only for store purchases and I understand why you are so carefully about revealing you credit card number online because identity thefts are very common these days especially online but today's markets live on credit cards (humour me for explaining it to you) but it is true, unless we actually believe in sites that have a brilliant reputation like ebay, we can never get anywhere with trading internationally and thats the truth and just to add when you enter your credit card details on paisa pay, the buyer doesn't get to know aboout it, all he knows is that the payment is made to him/her.
Message 231 of 235
latest reply

Hi,
If your seller has PayPal,ask him to send a PayPal invoice to your email ID.
Indian sellers mostly use both.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 232 of 235
latest reply

msujoy007
Community Member
I started doing ebay from Australia and started to get comfy with Paypal. But Paisa Pay really sucks because there are lot of risks attached to it, as we all know when dealing with Paisa Pay Transactions upon the buyer receiving the item the money gets credited to your bank (sellers bank account) but what if the buyer requests for a refund and does not even ship your item back...that is what I call a DOUBLE WHAMMY ... YOU LOSE EVERYTHING !!

Seriously, Ebay India should stop this Paisa Pay and start using Paypal, according to my knowledge a seller doing business on other ebay sites using Paypal will not ship the item till the time the money has been registered in his paypal account.

Its time for change Ebay India 🙂
Message 233 of 235
latest reply

sysgoods_india
Community Member
Dear Ebay sellers,

Great to see you all here. I'm an experienced(!) eBay and ecommerce consultant helping many ebay sellers in US, UK and Australia. Also I have 4 of my own ebay stores in US and selling different product lines. Have recently started in ebay.in

I can help you all new sellers to setup stores and add their product listings and also give you tips on better selling. eBay has it's own Pros and Cons. ebay India is far better than eBay US in terms of fees and commissions. If you can find the right products and learn the art of selling in ebay, you can really make good money. Ebay India lets you to keep most of the profit while eBay US takes more than 50% of the profit, so you do the math.

Since volume of listings are less in each category in ebay India, your listing will show up anyway. But give much importance to your product title, you have to first make the customer to come into your listing and check your product. So title plays a major role next to price.

Use Turbo Lister tool to list your products, it's free and easy. Just pay Rs.1000 or so to a web designer and get a nice ebay template designed for your listings. It will look professional and will win buyer confidence. There are lots of FREE templates available in the net, google it.

As per ebay India's report last year, 70% of ebay buyers are between ages 25 and 35. So try something for this group.

Google accounts for 70% of Internet search and in India it's even more. So dont just expect your customers from ebay only. Customers can find your listing in google search and come to ebay. So you have to have your listing search engine friendly too. In my ebay US stores, over 60% of my Visitors / customers come from Google. This may be little bit too much if you are a Non-Techie seller. Sellers from IT background can understand this easily.

Like this I can help you in many ways for new sellers, but my time is also limited, you can email me with your questions, I will respond to you ASAP and whenever time permits.

Ebay India operates slightly different, I'm still learning it. So dont mistake me if my answers are not perfect.

Good Luck with your venture. You are already winners as you have decided to do something on your own. Ebay is a great place to start with.

See you around.
Message 234 of 235
latest reply

mynaz
Community Member

Thanks Tanya.I am a new seller and your article has given me great help .

Message 235 of 235
latest reply