cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should Sellers be comeplled to sell below cost in the case of Auctions

srjsms
Community Member
this is an interesting topic... even though we know that a seller is bound to honour the winning bid...there are several opinions as to whether he should give the item for a price much below the cost..in my earlier post..my good friend..stated that i wud be a fool if i expected a seller to give a product below his cost..even though i am a winning bidder.... say a seller listed a Mobile costing 45000 on Rupee auction... the winning bid was Rs. 28000/- is the seller bound to sell at this price... if he doesnt..what are the remedies avaiable.... as a buyer if a seller can default on his commitment....why is a defaulting buyer treated differently...??? Members...the floor is open!
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

I don't think any seller will bear such huge loss. Forget about remedies as frauds like Shakawat Hossain are cheating in lacs in this process, every week, unhindered. So it will be a good gesture by a seller if he honestly mention that being new he failed to understand the bidding / selling process hence don't want to proceed with the deal.

I know you are aware of frauds by Shakawat Hossain but I would like to mention about him here for other new comers, after all your threads seem to be very popular. Actually, to me the listing by this new 0 rated seller cheap...... is looking very similar to that of Shakawat Hossain's.

Caution for all new Bidders:

On this board there are several postings regarding the fraud cases by one Shakawat Hossain. This person is cheating in lacs every week thru false IDs.

He lists Electronics items and Gold items ending within a narrow bid closing time of 2-3 days.

On bid closing, he asks every body for payment or transfer to an ICICI account (no. 628001029477) at Howrah, WB, in the name of Shakawat Hossain

He does not accept Paisapay in spite of such high valued listings.

His mobile remains on for about 4-5 days after the date of closing for the items. Once he gets several lacs in his booty , the mobile goes off permanently. Currently the person is using Life long incoming free connections of various phone companies. You can recognize that from the mobile nos.

For those who have already been cheated by one of his several new IDs, they must report that to eBay immediately. But it won't yield much result as the max. refund from eBay can be Rs.9950. In my opinion , those who have been defrauded must report that directly to the CID - WB, thru the following link , with all details. Some officials handling the cases of this link are very active and may be of some help.

http://www.cidwestbengal.gov.in/crime/report-cirme.asp

Do not expect eBay to lodge any complain on your behalf, they have a lacklustre policy in this regard. However, they promise to support the case.

I am sure that very soon somebody will file a good case in this regard and the legal department of eBay will get a big jolt for such inert, passive, mute and miniscule action against multiple frauds. Hope the court will not bar all eBay transactions in India till the case is solved.
. Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup Dutta
Kolkata
Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

atulnc1
Community Member
once i brought a item from buy it now for 15,000/- and when i call the seller he says that he will sell it for 20,000/-,now,but i could not do anything except then forget the deal.Why shOuld we buyers waste our time is seller is not ready to sell the product at the price he had quoted.
EBAY had no answer to my problem.
ebay people said that you may get a upi and if u get more upi my account will be suspended. INSTEAD OF CATCHING THE SELLER WHO IS NOT READY TO SELL THE PRODUCT,EBAY WAS THREATNING ME.
ATUL
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
By the way Atul, Did you tried the method for cancellation of order and avoiding negitives for the purchase you made. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

posting.id.in
Community Member
Hello srjms,

I had decided not to post on any thread started by you after the vicious posts by you in the last thread.

However since you have mentioned me as your "good friend" in this post, I felt compelled to reply.

I, as a seller, have sold several products at a loss on eBay auctions. I have taken a loss of Rs.2000/- on a product which was bid upto Rs.6000/-.

However, all sellers will not be like me. Infact you will find very few sellers will honour loss making auctions.

IN the current scenarios where only about 40% of the buyers pay up after winning the auctions, I will not really blame the sellers for not selling at a loss. If routinely 2 out of 3 buyers back out of their winning bids, you can hardly blame a seller if want to back out of a loss making auction.

In the US eBay site where most of the sales happen on auctions, there most sellers loose money on average 1 out of 4 auctions but since the UPI rate is neglible like 2-3%, the sellers usually honour their loss making sales.

AS for your recourse:

1)You can rate the seller negative.

2) You are report him to eBay as a non selling seller.

If the seller gets too many negatives and / or is reported repeatedly as a non selling seller, eBay will suspend him on ground of Non Performance.

srjsms
Community Member
mr. Posting..first of all sorry if u felt i made a personal attack on u.. i just felt that u wanted to project me as a crying baby.... :_| or a fraud...... i have nuthing personal against u...what i have is against that ebay policy.... agree that there are more than 90% unpaid items in ebay India.... sellers including me have suffered losses on listing fees etc on account of that.. i even remember one person using the site to buy my ford car for 1 crore!! how i wish he had paid me for that!!:^O but anyways.....like i mentioned elsewhere..we need a policy change...as regards the limits, as regards verification of members..as regards feedback systems etc.... ppl like u should take this matter up..coz for me...being in a small city, and ebaying being just a pass time it wudnt be possible...
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

srjsms
Community Member
As regards the problem with Mr. Hussain.... something should be done....a friend of mine from Delhi had mentioned that this guy has about 300 i'ds created between 2001 - 2005... . so we know that Mr., Hussain had a long range plan of committing fraud... inspite of having his bank details....its a pity that no one can trace him...... Just file a Complaint in the Police Station against Mr. X, having this particular bank account....coz he cannot open fake bank accounts....and he has to give his address and ID proof there. since ebay is just a mediator between two people.....or more like our real life broker.i dont think complaining to ebay will help in any way.....
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

indconcepts
Community Member
Dear srjsms ,

ebay is an ecommerce site and most of the Buyers are looking for lucarative Auction deals.

The Seller must complete the deal even if he has to sell a Rs.45,000 mobile at Rs.28,000.

If he cannot then he would be chucked out.

He should have thought of it before and placed a reserve price to be on the safer side.

The Buyer ....if he doesn't get the Item at Rs.28,000 would feel cheated and over all image of ebay gets a hitting.

So, the net outcome of this discussion is that any XYZ Seller shouldn't be allowed to Auction high value Items. .

IndConcepts logo7

http://stores.ebay.in/IndConcepts

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

srjsms
Community Member
hi.. Ind Concepts... your opinion is valued.. the reason why i started this discussion was because a few of my friends had purchased mobiles on Auction.. so for the benfit of my friends as well as the buying and selling community at large this discussion was posted. very often even if the winning bid is much lower than the sellers expectation, the sellers say that they are incurring a loss and go on making additions to the final bid price... e.g a friend got a Nokia N 70 for 18500/- The Vat Inclusive Market price was 23500/- Seller said please send 5000/- towards shipping charges.... my friend argued that being in the same state, he would come and personally pick up the item... after all he would spend 400 Rs. up and 400 Down on Travel by AC bus. for this the seller got rough and gave my friend a negative....
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

ppjewellers
Community Member
Hello All

I liked the topic raised by srjsms. I fell weather you are at loss or gain you should keep up to your commitment. It is on the seller to decide if he has the capability of taking the risk. If the seller thinks that he cannot afford the loss in case he gets a lower bid, he can opt for a reserve price auction. But if you are putting up a no reserve auction you should honor it. Be it off line business or online business every one faces losses and profits, so take it as a part of your business respect you commitments.

I myself have sold many items at loss just to keep my commitments, the highest bid I got for one of my item was 1 USD ( started at 0.01 USD ) and my cost price for the product was approx Rs.6500.

So all I can say is profit and loss are part of any business, but if you donโ€™t keep your commitments you are hindering you business, who knows that selling the one product at loss give you ample business form that buyer which recover lot more than your lost in your transaction.

Best Regards

Surjeet Kakkar
Message 10 of 15
latest reply