International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

ritukucheria
Community Member
Whats the duty for importing a mobile phone worth 250$ from China ?

I live in chennai btw
Message 71 of 98
latest reply

sv_koduru
Community Member
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ORDER LAPTOPS FROM US AND HOW SAFE IS THAT IT WILL REACH US.
SUBBU
Message 72 of 98
latest reply

truthful.liar
Community Member
Dear All,
If you are buying from global easy buy, all the prices mentioned are inclusive of customs duty as well as other applicable taxes. Also since all Global easy buy transaction are covered by paisa pay, if the shipment is held in customs department for some reason, you are eligible to claim refund for the same
Message 73 of 98
latest reply

present2011
Community Member
GEB is safe I admit BUT there is NO guarantee that you get the item.
One thing is certain that your money will be with Ebay for 10+15+5=30 days and you may get a message "Refund Approved"
in place of item.
So,take dealing with GEB as hit or miss deal with 30day money blocked.
ICC world phone number remains engaged most of the time and you will get paisa pay number as tracking number.
So,you can not pin point trace your transaction.
Message 74 of 98
latest reply

chintanm87
Community Member
I want to buy TvTuner card from ebay.com and seller is from Tiwan, Can you tell me will it cost me custom..?
Message 75 of 98
latest reply

blazer_buttons
Community Member
Hi. I have been checking out a few things on eBay.com . Got some doubts and would be glad if someone could clear them.
Firstly, if you buy from ebay of ay other country then arent you protected by eBay's policy?
Second, is the USPS Expressmail Service reliable?
And lastly, do you have to pay Custom Duty even if the seller sends the item to you as a gift?
A quick reply to this would be highly appreciated.
Message 76 of 98
latest reply

naik.sooraj
Community Member
You are protected by eBay's policy.
Yes, USPS is reliable. I received an item today which was shipped on november 2nd. The delay was because of customs processing.
Item below Rs 5000 will be usally exempted. However, customs officers are smart enough to recognize it.

If you want to know how the process works check this article:
http://www.mockingweb.com/how-does-customs-clearance-work-in-india/
Message 77 of 98
latest reply

naik.sooraj
Community Member
What time are you planning to buy? It depends on the product. Bought a cell phone worth 300$ and customs was charged at 2300 ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 78 of 98
latest reply

raven7920
Community Member
Hi

This is for all those people who don't have idea about the custom duty.

1st when you buy something from ebay or some where else convert the Total value incl shipping chrgs into Rs and see is the value less then Rs. 2000/- or Rs. 2500/- then you won't have to pay any custom duty.

2nd USPS Priority Mail International will take 6 to 10 days + 2 days for your local post man to delivery the package to your home if the total value is less then Rs. 2000/-

3rd USPS Express Mail will also take 6 to 10 days but my experience with express mail the package should land in india in 4 to 5 days then if the total value is less then Rs. 2000/- add 2 more days for the local post office man to delivery it to your home.

Remember if the Total Value including shipping after converting the dollars to Rupees is less then Rs. 2000/- then you won't have to pay any kind of Tax.
Message 79 of 98
latest reply

snagrawal
Community Member
I want a little help friends, I am going to buy a foot massager from ebay.co.usa. The seller is showing total cost including shipping through USPS $79.99. Ok, I pay the amount through paypal. Now when it lands in India, how is customs duty paid and who pays it, does the courier pays it & collects from me? As I live away from Mumbai, it is not possible for me to go there & pay the duty. Please reply urgently!
Thanks
SN Agrawal, Ichalkaranji, India
Message 80 of 98
latest reply