Buying thru ebay.com

adarsh2204
Community Member
I interested in buying a watch costing around US $ 120 from ebay.com the seller is based in US can this be imported to india and would there be any custom duty and how will it be paid ?
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Buying thru ebay.com

Well done.. I always find it simple and easy to buy from international sellers!!
Regards
Self trading
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

homchaudhuri
Community Member
Hello adarsh,
How would you be sending the money though? This is because I wish to own a Texas Instruments TI-89 graphing calculator that's also available at ebay.com.The utility costs $200.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

adarsh2204
Community Member
Hi
I used paypal to pay thru my credit card
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

helensamabhishek
Community Member
I have paid for my product, after seeing a listing and now the seller says he does not have it how do I get my money back

Thanks
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi helensamabhishek,

In order to get your money back, you may contact the seller and ask him to send you money back.

If you paid via PaisaPay, you can ask PaisaPay to initiate a refund. Contact Us > PaisaPay > Buying with PaisaPay > I need a refund

If you had not paid via PaisaPay, open a Item Not received dispute agasint the seller, close the dispute and escalate the case for Buyer Protection claim.

Do keep us updated on your experience.

Warm Regards,
Sapana
Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

bleedingedgetech
Community Member
Hi all,
I have been trying to import items from EBAY.COM for a long time now. I have explored every possible way of doing it USPS, couriers people coming to INDIA from US.

Let me tell you one thing .... IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT. More that 60% of the time the items got stuck in the FORIEGN POST OFFICE when imported though USPS.

Govt. of INDIA does not allow dutiable goods to be imported through POST -"Import of dutiable goods by letter, packet or parcel posts is prohibited under Notification No. 78-Cus., dated 2.4.1938 (as amended), read with section 11 of the Customs Act, 1962"

So if your item gets stuck at the FORIEGN POST OFFICE - you're doomed - you'll have to visit to the nearest FOREIGN POST OFFICE in Delhi or Mumbai personally to get your item released. And since its not legal to import dutiable goods through post or by mis-respresentation you might have to pay SUPER HIGH DUTIES as listed in CHAPTER 90 of the Customs Tariff Act along with upto 300% penalty.

If you import throuh Courier you will get the item delivered to you but you'll have to bear huge shipping costs along with very high duty rates.

Also using your INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARD for purchases will attract you do declare the same under section the INCOME TAX ACT as per section 62 or 92 / not sure.

I even got a notice from RBI which ICICI Bank communicated to me regarding some violations of FEMA (Foriegn Exchange Management)Act I had committed.

My life has been doomed due to thinking of making a profit and buying from EBAY.COM

Once or twice I esacaped customs duty initially and thus I thought I could get away with all this very easily.

2 of my 20+ feedback ebay ids have already been suspended.

Let me tell you I have been fighting a case with Indian Postal Services and another one of FEMA for past one year now.

IMPORTING in INDIA sucks big big time !!!
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

posting.id.in
Community Member
Well the post of bleedingedgetech is half the truth, the complete section reads like this -

"Importability of items through Post:

4. Import of dutiable goods by letter, packet or parcel posts is prohibited under Notification No. 78-Cus., dated 2.4.1938 (as amended), read with section 11 of the Customs Act, 1962, except where such letter or packet bears a declaration stating the nature, weight and value of the contents or if such a declaration is attached alongside indicating that the letter/packet may be opened for Customs examination. Dutiable goods may also not be imported by Post in case the Customs is not satisfied that the details as above are incorrectly stated in the declaration.

5. Items intended for personal use, which are exempt from the prohibitions under the Exim Policy, 1997-2002 or the Customs Act, 1962, can be imported by postal channel on the payment of appropriate duties under Chapter Heading No. 98.04 of the Customs Tariff. This, however, does not apply to items viz. Motor Vehicles, Alcoholic Drinks and goods imported through Courier Service which are to be assessed at merit rates of duty. In case the customs duty payable is not more than Rs. 100/-, the same is exempt vide Notification No. 17/2001-Cus. dtd. 1.3.2001, as amended."

1) Hence you can import dutiable goods via post as long as a declartion of the goods regarding weight, nature and value of goods is attached.

2) Any goods intended for personal use can be imported by Post as long as one pays the appropriate customs duty.
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

e-shopz
Community Member
Well ....

I wuld recommend selers who shipin USPS with declaration . As its for personal use its not usualy a problem.. dont be surprised if ur boxs copany seal is opeed , its the customs .

i bought the phone from phastphones06 , but he is no longer in ebay , see , cofirm an buy . -srikanth
e-shopz
-srikanth
e-shopz
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

superstores_tech
Community Member
I have found getting stuff from HoNG KONG very easy. But the ones comign from US are a little troublesome.

Although i dont know the technicalities as well as my friend "Posting.id.in" does. but it will help if you ask the seller to attach the packet details with valuation and markit as a gift/samples.

Regards Superstores_Tech

Ankur Agarwal
Superstores_Tech

Ankur Agarwal
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

Dear you can ask your seller if he could declare the parcel as gift AND ONLY GIFT worth USD 10 not more than that you will not face any custums problems but in case if he declared value above 50 USD you can be in trouble trust me there won't be any way left for you except leaving the parcel to custums.

What custum do and how it works :

The courier company has nothing in their hands once the parcel stucks in custums
They send you a letter stating this is the way bill number and the contact number come and take the required documents from our office and go to the custums and get the parcel cleared for yourself.
For documents they charge less to less Rs. 800

Now Once you have taken the documents don't in any way feel like you'll get your parcel in hand easily NO WAY

You'll keep on going to custums pay car parking fee every time there is no way out that you could get your parcel in the very first time.

Once you reach the custums office no person will be willing to help you everybody would suggest hire an agent only an agent can help you get your parcel out of custums.

Agent HIRING CHARGES Rs. 2500/-

If you'll not pay these charges consider your parcel detained by the custums.
Even if you pay these charges there is no way out till you pay the custums fee declared and also pay the airport fee where your parcel is (It's the rent the charge to keep the parcel).

So much of worries and so much of problems arises so keep in mind

DON'T BUY HIGH AMOUNT ITEMS IF YOU BUY MAKE SURE YOUR SELLER DECLARE THE GOODS LESS THAN 50 USD BETTER IS 10 USD.

IF HE DOESNOT AGREE'S DON'T BUY FROM HIM

CONTACT ANOTHER SELLER WHO IS READY TO CO-OPERATE "Lord, I have done many things wrong. I am guilty, but to show your goodness, forgive me for everything I did. When people choose to follow the Lord, he shows them the best way to live.โ€
ยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Godยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Blessยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Usยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Allยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.
"Lord, I have done many things wrong. I am guilty, but to show your goodness, forgive me for everything I did. When people choose to follow the Lord, he shows them the best way to live.โ€
ยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Godยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Blessยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Usยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Allยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply