cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BUYER'S ROLL IN INDIAN CUSTOMS DEPT IN GLOBAL PURCHASE

tukai1
Community Member
i've won a non electronic toy item (a 3d view master set, 20USD + 15USD shipping charge) from ebay.com USA. the seller will complete all formalities in US customs dept. pl tell me whether i've any role in Indian customs dept. or i'll simply pay the amount thru' paypal and receive the product? what's the procedure of delivery?
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

venukan
Community Member
Generally if the packet is thin cover it gets delivered very easily without any customs duty. But if the packet is big they may open and assess for a value and charge a app. max of 30% duty on the value. You donot hav to got any where or file anywhere. The Customs have separate department to deal and will deliver the packet to you and collect the duty payable at your doorstep thru their personnel. If you wish you need not accept the parcel and contest the computed duty by visiting the necessary office. I have purchased many items and things have been deliverd smoothly and I paid once Rs 300 for a 20 euros valued item as duty. Hence dont worry and relax it will arrive within 2 weeks. If ur located in a metro good chances that fair delivery will be made by postal dept. Your purchase is perfectly leagal one can buy any amount and get it delivered at doorstep as long as the duty has been paid if any. This is the only way resident Indian Individuals can import legally. All others firms and companies need to register with customs dept.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

tukai1
Community Member
To Venukan....Thank you Sir for your very very friendly attitude and informations.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Hello,

I have been importing some samples so I have a bit of experience in the matter.

If the product is shipped through EMS (Post), there are chances it will pass through without paying any duty. However sometimes, they do assess the parcel and you have to pay the duty which is 38% maximum and not 30%. If postal customs dept. does choose to assess your article, than it may take between 10 to 15 days for them to access the same depending on your cit.

If the parcel comes throuth a courier company, than it becomes more dicey. More often than not the customs official will make a fair assessment and the courier company will pay any amount on your behalf.

I have paid customs duty of Rs.3500/- on products costing Rs.2500/-. Since the duty has already been paid by the courier company you have no option but to pay the duty. Your only option is to refuse to take the item. In which case the courier company will ask the seller if he is willing to pay the duty, than it will ship it back to the seller otherwise it will dispose of the article in any way it thinks fit.

Sometimes you pay no duty, no matter whether your parcel comes from post or courier. Its all a game or a gamble.

So be prepared. Also warranties on products bought in such manner are very diffcult to obtain. Most companies in India do not honour international warranties, even if you product carries one.

It is always better to buy from an Indian seller, if the product is available. If it is a hard to find product and can only be bought from abroad, go for it. Otherwise it is not worth paying the exhorbitant shipping charges and the uncertain duty plus warranty headaches.

Cameras N Such
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I too have bought several items from US & hong kong turst me they are great !!

Dear you won't face any custums problems in case the item value is upto INR. 10,000

If in case its above INR. 10,000 you can ask your seller to declare gift inside and parcel value not more than 10 or 20 USD in any case.

BE SURE TO CHECK THIS WITH YOUR INTERNATIONAL SELLER BEFORE BIDDING OR BUYING IF HE IS READY TO DECLARE THE ITEM AS GIFT AND VALUE NOT MORE THAN 20 USD in any case.

Even if the item weights over 10 KG you still do not have to pay any taxes for the same.

I even bought items in wholesale my seller was very responsible and quick ๐Ÿ™‚
All parcels take 7 to 15 days for delivery in India depending on the method choosed by the seller.

So, Start Bidding & Do Not Worry At All !!

You'll love your purchases :-x "Lord, I have done many things wrong. I am guilty, but to show your goodness, forgive me for everything I did. When people choose to follow the Lord, he shows them the best way to live.โ€
ยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Godยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Blessยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Usยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Allยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.
"Lord, I have done many things wrong. I am guilty, but to show your goodness, forgive me for everything I did. When people choose to follow the Lord, he shows them the best way to live.โ€
ยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Godยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Blessยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Usยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Allยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

venukan
Community Member
http://personalimport.blogspot.com/
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

venukan
Community Member
๐Ÿ™‚ http://personalimport.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

deepachikan
Community Member
Ok Now I am telling you a very valuable secret. Get an IEC no. and then ask your seller abroad to send the item as trade sample and that is that ! No hassles no fear!
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

mnkks360
Community Member
I have some experiences which are of different types. I purchased one used mobile P800 of Sony Ericsson from UK for 60 pounds including shipping. I received it in Delhi through our local postman. It was a great excitement for me to receive that and that too in excellent condition with all original accessories. Second I won one used discman of Sony for $45 from USA that also delivered by the same man at my doorstep. But third I won one used digital camera Sony 3.2 mega pixol for $135 from USA and that same postman came to deliver that camera but with a customs slip of Rs.8,035 which was a great shock to me. I contacted Foreign Deptt. of Post Office situated at Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, there I got another big shock when I met Assistant Commissioner, (Customs) Foreign Deptt. Post office that our forein policy do not permit to import used electronics items. If you buy any used item you will be panelised with 120% of the cost of the item. They calculate the cost at their own taking the help of internet. They are not going to listen to you. I told them that a digital camera with 3.2 mega pixol is available for Rs.6000 (new) but they are not going to listen my problem. Next shocking thing was they inform me that if you will not take delivery of that item, our department will charge the custom duty with the help of law. We are not going to escape anywhere. I was planning to purchase some more items of my interest but now I cannot dare to buy anything from outside India. If any one can help me in this please come forward. I will feel obliged.
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

artsmartindia
Community Member
Hi everyone,
I want to sell large wooden boxes like jewellery boxes with carvings. Do I get some rebate or concession from customs deptt as these are purely handicraft products and will It help if i make a co-operative society to export. anyone plz help
Message 10 of 24
latest reply