cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powerseller sold used/fake/refurb drive with virus on it.

haxpak
Community Member
I bought a 4GB PNY micro pen drive from originalgoods

The drive had a virus which kaspersky detected and deleted on insertion. I later formatted the drive and it is working fine. Even the packing is different from the listing ( and he claims the packing to be the determining factor for fake drives in the listing )
The blister pack is NOT OF THE SEALED TYPE. It can be opened/closed at will without any visible signs.
I mentioned this in the feedback, and now he has replied that I am a fake buyer and it is fake feedback. What can one -ve feedback do to his score that I will go out of the way to give him a negative feedback ?
I request ebay to do justice. If this kind of action is allowed the power sellers will get away with selling fake items and buyers will not return after such bad experience

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180344786770
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

akaggrwl
Community Member
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd242/theclank/P1000473.jpg

This is what a genuine PNY pen drive's packaging looks like nowadays. If you've received a similar packaging and if it's got the label with the name and address of the distributor on it, then you've probably got a genuine drive.

Also unfortunately, PNY packages their drives in a type of packaging that can be opened and closed without any visible signs i.e. it's not sealed - there's nothing the seller can do about it.

As for the virus, I don't know how that can get on there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Unfortunately, I've seen that even long time sellers on eBay get very defensive and would rather try to discredit the buyer's genuine feedback by saying things like "fake buyer" etc. instead of actually listening and that it exactly what happened in your case.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@haxpak...
Why do you people go in for these products. Buy known brands like Sandisk/Kingston or Corsair.

Take the service center/Indian disty number and website details and check with service center/Indian disty or website and see if drive is genuine or not. Most website have facility for serial number checking of drives.

Has he provided genuine invoice with drive part and serial number mentioned which you will need to claim warranty.

Antivirus software's are not 100% foolproof and can show files which are not virus as virus.

Packaging can vary from country to country. check if importers label is present on the drive or not.
====================== Regards.
Raj Electronics.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

haxpak
Community Member
This is the same packaging I got ( different from the listing, hence I was confused ) except that the drive is placed vertically and not horizontally.
Also, There were two files on the drive, autorun.inf and cih.xml ( cih.xml was detected by kaspersky )
I just want to know that if it is BRAND NEW then how can there be any files on it ?
I bought this drive because it is very slim and can be attached to my keyring.
Also, shouldn't the seller actually try to solve/ask me before posting rubbish like he has. He is just abusing the fact that he has a very high feedback score. In this case, a high feedback score has become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Also, there was no invoice in the package. Maybe he forgot to include it ?

Thanks a lot to everyone for their replies. I appreciate it.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

haxpak
Community Member
I have tested the drive today using h2testw and it seems that the drive is not hacked and is actually 4GB. No errors were found in the test.
I hope it was just a used drive and not a fake/refurb etc.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

orignalgoods
Community Member
hi ,
i want to say some words in my favour

pny usb packing date - march 2009
2. importer - fortune marketting pvt. ltd.
3.warranty - 5year pny warranty not dealer warranty

4. buyer not call me or try to contact before leaving feedback
5. i never say no to the buyer for replacement

6. virus may be already in the pc or some manufacture problem
7. buyer not go to service center for replacement
8. i ship the item very fast within a day
9. tell me where i m wrong
10. how can u say that pendrive is fake
11. 50 satisfy buyers can write their that they got original pny usb from me
12. its just to hurt my reputation on ebay , its not a issue
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@haxpak...
cih.xml could be W95.CIH (Chernobyl) virus but this is active under win 95/98. In all probability the virus is come from your system to the pendrive.
All pendrives usually contain some extra software for the users which you can delete if you do not find useful.
I have included a Norton Removal Tool here to help you remove the CIH virus. Hope it is useful to you.
Write back.
PS: Ask the dealer for a proper invoice with part no and serial no. If he gives it to you I recommend you remove the negative rating. He should surely not have replied in this manner.
==================== Regards.
Raj Electronics.
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

orignalgoods
Community Member
hi ,
i want to say some words in my favour

pny usb packing date - march 2009
2. importer - fortune marketting pvt. ltd.
3.warranty - 5year pny warranty not dealer warranty

4. buyer not call me or try to contact before leaving feedback
5. i never say no to the buyer for replacement

6. virus may be already in the pc or some manufacture problem
7. buyer not go to service center for replacement
8. i ship the item very fast within a day
9. tell me where i m wrong
10. how can u say that pendrive is fake
11. 50 satisfy buyers can write their that they got original pny usb from me
12. its just to hurt my reputation on ebay , its not a issue
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

hemanth00007
Community Member
Hi every one

I don't know what mr hakpak received material......

even I brought the pen drive from the user ..it is not sealed... but when I brought from another customer it is same un sealed in condition...... pny is one of the reputed manufacturer.
see if others have time u can see the website of pny trust worth product .... u cannot suspect a pen drive bcoz of virus.. it can be deleted...

till now i have purchased 3 pen drives of 4gb 2no's and one 8gb pen drive.. all are working fine (can say best working)

Show it to your friends make them surprised......njoy
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

haxpak
Community Member
I want to say a few things, before my crucification is complete

Seller shipped very fast, no doubt. It is reflected in the rating I left for shipping.
I didn't call, but he is incorrect that I didn't contact him. I sent him a message through ebay and he didn't reply.
I am using Vista x64. I know what the CIH virus does ( tries to overwrite the first few blocks of bios using direct hardware calls in win9x architecture. This implementation was changed with WinNT architecture so the virus is useless )
My system can never be infected. I am one of the most paranoid/knowledgable users you may encounter. It is my job to keep systems secure.
It is not my intent to get refund/replacement etc. Life is too short for these things. Even from my earlier messages it is clear that I am happy as long as drive is functionally fine.
The drive is complete 4GB ( not hacked ) as mentioned by me earlier.
I have no reason to lie when I say that there were 2 files ( autorun and cih ) on the drive.
Antivirus may have given false alarm, but how were there 2 files on the pen drive ?

My apologies for the incorrect filename mentioned in above posts. The correct filename is xih9.cmdThe mistake happened as I posted what I could recall from my memory and didn't have access to my system. Now I have posted what I see in the reports.

The issue, if anyone is willing to understand, is my concern that the drive shipped to me was used/fake( not likely as the packaging has been verified to be genuine now -> Thanks AK )

Also, as mentioned by the seller earlier, I never blatantly said it is fake. I have mentioned fake/used which is different than just claiming fake.

Thanks
Message 10 of 27
latest reply