cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Option to Provide choice to Buyer to Select Shipping Company in Listing

lotmany
Community Member
eBay can earn money by charging fee for this option.

It would benefit a lot to provide choice to buyer to select the shipping company he like to have.

At the time of listing, Seller should be given ability to provide an option for providing different Shipping company names that can be selected by Buyer at the time of his purchase.

ex: We list an item, tell that we can ship only through Aramex, DTDC, Sunami Couriers and respective shipping prices. Then when Buyer comes to this listing and at the time of checkout, he can select from a drop down menu or listmenu that shows only these 3 couriers, he can select any one or more and then pay.

Here, benefit is:
Buyer knows better than Seller about Buyers area and courier service to their area.
Buyer may have DTDC office near to him and so select that one.
Seller is safe that he no need to go to far away courier company to ship the item. Say, if a Buyer location is not served by Maruthi couriers (Sellers regular couriers which is near to him and charges little less), Seller should spend money to goto India Post (unknown courier company to him or never dealt) or will not ship the item at all. Then refund happens, Seller gets paisapay penality.

Manymore benefits of introducing this option, this system is already being implemented by other online ecommerce portals.

Regards
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

spl_ind
Community Member
Yes, when a Buyer pays he should be able to select a courier of his choice from a drop down menu. My Items
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

also option of insurance should be included
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

arihant_enterprises
Community Member
dear sir it is really a great idea

previous month i have been penalized because more than 4% refund has been happen

but truth is most of the refund happens because buyer area is not servicable by firstflight or bluedart

and i have specified in my listing ill ship only through firstflight

one more thing if i ship by other courier company mostly professional i would lose my packet and money both

then why i am been penalized

your option would really gave us a freedom

thanks for wonderful idea
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

lotmany
Community Member
@arihant_enterprises It has many benefits for both Buyers and Sellers. eBay should understand the change and immediately apply this option in the application.

@om_estore insurance option is also a good option for Seller but Buyer won't be opting for this as he is already having eBay guarantee claim. And few may opt who pay through other means.

@spl_ind glad for the bounce.

Regards
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@lotmany...

I don't see any point in having a selection of the courier company by the buyer, what purpose will it serve and to whom will it be helpful ?. Just by raising any topic it does not make it sensible and worthwhile to be implemented, just think with a open mind and read what I have written below.

Take the case of @arihant_enterprises where he has clearly said that he ships only by First Flight or Bluedart, so what happens in this case, what drop down list will he give the buyers to choose from and what happens if the buyer area is not serviced by either of the two couriers as he has has mentioned. He is as it is mentioning that he will ship only by First Flight or Bluedart and even after that notice provided by him the customers purchases the products and he gets penalised for no fault.

I have made a 2 inch by 5 inch notice block that I will ship only by DTDC couriers and by no other means, please do not buy if you do not have DTDC couriers in your area, but still every month I get 10 buyers purchasing products and I have to do refund. now tell me what solution will you give to such buyers who do not read the listing.

Finally if you are anyhow going to ship to the buyer by any means then again why is the selection required, ship it by any couriers who services the buyers area. *****************
StopandShop
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

ataur.rahman1
Community Member
These options are already available on Ebay.com, like seller can offer various options to the buyers such as shipping Company and speed, e.g. USPS, UPS and 2nd Day shipping or Normal speed, but there service providers are quite organized and they have simple and flat rates unlike Indian Courier companies(cumbersome and unclear pricing slabs). Due to these features this option is feasible in US but hard to implement in India, because of this ebay may not start this type of option in India as they don't have any tie up with any Indian courier company. But i highly appreciate if Ebay starts this. In my opinion ebay can start this system with collaboration of few companies like DTDC, Bluedart or Speed Post(Yes speed post as they provide services in almost everywhere in India but bit unreliable as USPS).
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

technocrats.solutions
Community Member
good suggestion. it will be helpful for dealing with customers who are from remote area and has services with very rare courior service (courior boy delivers only twice a week in that area). ebay could have ask sellers who are ready to provide multi option for selecting courior and so as the courior charges. insurance option should also be introduced but i am not sure about that that how will it be accepted by buyers because they have been protected by ebay for delivery. sellers sometimes lost boh their money and product due to this.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

lotmany
Community Member
@technocrats.solutions, perfectly said, by seeing your reply, we see that there is need to help with the sales related to such remotely located Buyers; by increasing the delivery time limit. Say, if Seller ships the item through IndiaPost Registered service, automatically the delivery time limit will increase. We are still analyzing selling to the remotely located Buyers.

@ataur.rahman1, you are correct. May be, eBay will not touch the slabbing. They just update the application to have the Selection of Courier Feature at the time of checkout keeping the shipping charges same for all companies. Also, they may allow Seller to provide various prices based on courier selection just like what the existing application provides for 'outside sellers city' 'within sellers city' option.

@arihant_enterprises You should be mailing the CS/AC listing all such transactions requesting to avoid charges or penalties. eBay will/should surely help with it.

@rajelectroniks, glad to see your open minded reply and attention. Your perception would be correct and you are cent % correct that this feature will not fully helpful.
We thought this feature will serve manythings (as listed in the first post) and also helps minimize such sales what you were mentioning.

Brief for the failure, specific to your case or manyother S:
1. Wrong Bs with wrong emotions will buy even if S has 100 x 100 board.
2. Newbies or busy Bs will buy the items by just seeing the picture, title and the price.
3. Experienced B searches for title Sony Cybershot C100 will buy just by going through feedback, price, warranty, type etc; and checkout.
4. Purposeful Bs will buy from S just to make S inconvenient.
5. B doesn't know or believes that his area is serviceable by your mentioned couriers.
6. Reread the arihant's reply.
7. Hopeful B will buy from you hoping that you will anyway ship it to make him happy.

By introducing this feature, atleast the B will surely understand that S will ship only through the listed couriers and he can't move ahead to complete the purchase unless he selects the courier company. Also, a small line saying that 'Select the courier company, if your area is not serviced by listed couriers, please contact Seller'. If you are not happy with the feature, may be just this line will help minimize such sales.

Hope this helps. We welcome your further analysis so that we all can make eBay.in also a good portal for business.

We truly appreciate your participation. We are positive and you can start a new thread for pointing us if something is making you inconvenient, we will correct ourselves in any of our posts.

FYI: B == Buyers; S == Sellers; CS == eBay Customer Support; AC == Account Manager.

Regards
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I try to avoid sellers who ship through DTDC.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply