cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Care agents ask (& probably mine) for Sensitive data like DoB

hsundar
Community Member

I had logged a claim 332475 to get refund for a product that arrived broken (i didnt get the refund which is anyway another issue).

But in one of my phone calls to the ebay customer care. The voice agent wanted to verify my phone number email and also my my date of birth 🙂  Whats surprising is when i signed up for ebay in 2009 i have never provided my date of birth. And i am very particular that i never provide my date of birth / mothers maiden name on any site other than banking site. 

When asked by the agent for my DOB i gave a fictitious date of birth .... and the verification went through 🙂 ha ha ha

Later i asked him why do you need DoB which is a sensitive data and he didnt have any answer 🙂 And you should have heard his voice going cold on the other side...

Over all the customer care people are so very rude and i was a long time ebay customer for 6+ years but after my experience with ebay wrt claim 332475 i decided that its best to shift loyalties and never give ebay a single paisa of business in future

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Customer Care agents ask (& probably mine) for Sensitive data like DoB

you r absolutely spot on sundar. I too have been buying from ebay for a few years. This is the first time I faced a problem n asked for help from ebay CS. But they failed me miserably.

Long story short-  Its foolish to expect the ebay CS / Guarentee team to help you out if anything goes wrong during a transaction. N also their feedback scores r manipulated n hence not very reliable.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply