A possible scam on eBay

tomer.nitin
Community Member
Hi,

I am quite an old user on eBay and have bought more than 40 items till date, worth more than INR 2 lakh.

Recently I bought a NetBook from eBay, the seller sent it promptly, with a bill. On a whim I checked the serial number on bill, matched it with the NetBook, and found them different.

I reported to the seller, he offered to send a scanned copy of the bill to me. I politely told him that it won't do, and he sent me a physical copy of the corrected bill.

Thus everything was settled nicely.

Last week, I bought another NetBook for my wife, this time from another seller. Again the bill was sent with wrong serial number, and what's more this bill didn't have seller's TIN and had no seal/signatures.

I reported this to the seller and guess what, he too offered to send me an electronic copy of the bill.

This is too much of a co-incidence. I suspect that some sellers are cheating customers this way. By giving fake bills they are saving on sales tax and VAT etc. A customer won't know until he needs top claim warranty; and sellers are taking their chances on it.

I request eBay to look into it; and deal with such sellers strictly.

Regards

Nitin
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

A possible scam on eBay

parsavnathenterprises
Community Member
@tomar.nitin,
As rajelectroniks has put it very correctly. If your serial is not registered with the manufacture, you will not be entitled to warranty.
However, you can still try to register the product on the manufacturer's website. if your serial number is accepted, bingo!! you'll get the warranty.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

A possible scam on eBay

tomer.nitin
Community Member
@parsavnathenterprises

Thanks for your response.

But I do not even have a valid bill. The seller just won't send it...
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

A possible scam on eBay

tomer.nitin
Community Member
Now this has turned beyond ridiculous. I filed a refund claim under eBay guarantee scheme (claim Id: 59896). An eBay representative, after 10 days of filing the claim, arranged a con-call between me and the seller. In which the seller said he will sent the correct bill, and I said that if he does so I will take my claim back.

I did receive another bill, with wrong serial number. And no VAT no. and CST no. mentioned for the seller.

I am at my wits' end now. And eBay isn't helping matters at all by not intervening. I don't know what to do. Will approaching consumer court help?

Regards

Nitin
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

A possible scam on eBay

@ tomer.nitin

Vat/Tin No is required for firm having turnover more than 10 lacs. But yes i agree the serial number should be provided correct.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

A possible scam on eBay

many.more.shoppe
Community Member
Dear sir

We are sincerely sorry for Error in serial number.

We work with Humans. We have discussed with you on this timely manner and we respect you as one of great buyers.

Also note warranty is from HP manufactuers warranty. We have posted you corrected invoice.

As well as for warranty these days works on serial numbers even if you do not carry invoice its valid all over world.

We will do our best to resolve any issue you face.

Thank you and warm regards
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

A possible scam on eBay

tomer.nitin
Community Member
@many.more.shoppe

Hi,

I didn't name you here because I felt that it wouldn't be right. But now that you yourself had posted he, I would like to respond here in an open forum.

"We work with Humans. We have discussed with you on this timely manner and we respect you as one of great buyers."

Error is admissible once, but if it happens thrice it looks deliberate. You sent me bill with a wrong serial number the first time. After complaining you sent me another bill after a week, and this time bill was for another item. When I complained again you didn't respond for 15 days, and when I filed a refund claim, you promised to send the corrected bill, but again sent the bill with wrong serial number. I can't fathom that this is human error.

I had bought another Netbook from another seller. He too sent me a bill with wrong serial number, I told him and he sent me the correct bill the next day. No hard feelings. And I bought 2 more Netbooks from him. Check my purchase history to verify this.

"Also note warranty is from HP manufactuers warranty. We have posted you corrected invoice."

No sir, you have NEVER sent me the correct invoice. If you want, I can scan and post all three invoices you have sent me till date.

"As well as for warranty these days works on serial numbers even if you do not carry invoice its valid all over world."

I have checked it's warranty status on HP web site. It's warranty is valid only until Fe-2012, unless I show a valid bill.

"We will do our best to resolve any issue you face."

Please do. I have been waiting for it to resolved for long and it doesn't seem to go anywhere. And for the record, I haven't even opened the Netbook yet, lest I have to return it to you.

Regards

Nitin
Message 16 of 16
latest reply