Why can't sellers post their phone numbers?

kattasri
Community Member
If the sellers are advertising that they are so reliable, Why can't sellers post their phone numbers with their bids? This eliminates lot of confusion.

I had a horrible experience recently. I won a bid and when I was about to pay, I noticed that there was a shipping descrepancy. I tried my best to contact the seller trough eBay. The phone number I got from eBay was not working. Since this was a big ticket item, and I needed it very badly, I had to retract from the bid. I choose not to buy the item not only just because of the shipping descrepancy but also because of the possibility of future problems.

I understand, eBay discourages giving phone numbers because sellers and buyers may enter into a contract outside eBay. My argument is, users can do this anyway even now if they want to. I think they will be taking huge risks if they do so.

Bottom line, I want to see some counter arguments probably from experienced sellers on why they are not showing their phone numbers. I believe it will only increase their reliability.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

runalaila_in1
Community Member
1) posting contact info is not allowed on ebay
2) there are privacy issues but once you won , and still if the seller is hesitant in providing contact info , then the better option is to retract from the bid , all right and you probably did the right thing !
3)so in the end , displaying contact info for one and all to see is not feasible , but once you enter into a transaction with somebody and still the buyer is unable to find all the necessary details , then the seller should not be accepted !
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

atulnc1
Community Member
A RESPONSIBLE SELLER WILL ALWAYS GIVE THE BUYER HIS CONTACT DETAILS(TEL NO,EMAIL ID) WHEN THE BUYERS BUYS HIS ITEM,THIS IS OFFICIALLY HOW THE DEAL WORKS OUT AT EBAY.
BUT IF THE SELLER IS RELUCTANT TO GIVE HIS CONTACT DETAILS AFTER THE BUYING OF THE ITEM I REALLY DOUBT ON THE GENUINITY OF THE SELLER.

GIVING PERONAL DETAILS WITHOUT THE PROPER COMPLETION OF THE DEAL ON EBAY IS NOT ALLOWED AT ALL.IF EBAY ENTERTAINS THIS HOW WILL EBAY EARN MONEY,THERE WOULD BE DIRECT DEAL WITH BUYERS AND SELLERS
ALSO MAJOR DIADVANTAGE WOULD BE CHANCES OF CHEATING WOULD INCREASE AS THERE WOULD BE NO "PROTECTION FOR BUYERS" IF THE SELLERS REFUSES TO PAY AFTER RECEIVING THE PAYMENT.

ATUL
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

rohit@ebay.com
Community Member
Hello runalaila_in1, atulnc1 and kattasri,

All of you have posted some very insightful comments. As atulnc1 has pointed out, one of our main concerns with what we call 'off eBay' sales is that the buyers will not be protected under eBay's Standard Purchase Protection Program, in case the transaction does not go off smoothly.

But the other side of the argument is what user kattasri has mentioned. Which is, in some categories, especially of high value items, it might actually help complete the transaction faster if buyers and sellers can talk to each other over the phone, for example. But at the same time, if it does turn out be an 'off eBay' sale, and the buyer does not receive the item, or receives an item significantly not as described, the buyers loss will be much higher.
Regards,
Rohit,
Community Development Team

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Buyer Engagement Team
Message 4 of 4
latest reply