Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am Tanya. I work in eBay with the seller programs team to help new sellers build their business on eBay. I thought I would share some selling tips which may help you sell more everyday!

LISTING TIPS

• Product: Try uploading unique/hard to find products, that will excite buyers into instant online purchase.

Picture : A good clear picture says more than a detailed description. This is especially true for categories like apparels, jewellery, toys, etc where impulse buying is high. Imagine, you have a nice pair of earring with good description; however picture is such that one can hardly make out the design. I am sure, it will be difficult to find buyers, even at an attractive price. I would also suggest always put your picture on top of the page to attract attention rather than below the description. Show the product from every angle so that the buyer has a clear picture of the product that he would wish to buy.

• Your title must be packed with appropriate keywords relevant to the product so that if any buyer is searching for a product that you have, your listing comes up during search results. Put yourself in the buyers’ shoes and see whether your title has those keywords that you would use for a product while searching for a product similar to what you are selling.

Description once again must be detailed and very transparent. If the product is second hand, mention the same. Do not portray anything that is not true. Once again check whether your description has all the information a buyer would want to know about your product.

Warranty/guarantee Since buyers are making payment in advance for a product they have not physically seen, it would a great idea if you could boost their confidence by providing some sort of warranty/guarantee so that they are rest assured of their purchases.

• Offer as many Payment methods as possible since it allows the buyer to choose a payment method that he is comfortable with. As an advice, you must offer online payment option PaisaPay as most buyers prefer this payment method. It is safe and at the same time the quickest way of closing a transaction successfully.

Some tips Post Sales

• Once you receive a sale, act upon it immediately and get in touch with your buyer either through phone or email. Remember that the buyer at the time of purchase does not have your contact details and does not even know to whom he is sending his money. Therefore always keep in touch with your buyers at every stage so that he has confidence & trust that his money is safe and he will get his product in the specified time period.

• Always be customer service orientated. If possible, go out of his way to help and solve his doubts/clarifications as effectively as possible. Always be prompt in replying to your buyers. Incase the buyers complains about product being faulty or not as per their expectation, try offering replacement.

• Always try to rate your buyers positively which in return fetch you positive points. This helps build your business online as most buyers look at your feedback received by you as a seller for any purchases from you.

Incase a transaction fails due to non payment from your buyer, do report the buyer by following the Unpaid Item Process in time so that you do not end up getting billed for a transaction that was not complete.

General Tips

• Increasing your Portfolio: Try browsing ebay as much as possible and study what is selling at what price points. Try sourcing these products if you can. There are many features on the site that help you understand what is in demand, to name some we have the
o Completed Listing Only feature (InAdvanced Search Section)
o Want it Now Feature
o ebay Pulse
o Market Place Research
These tools give a fair indication of what products buyers are generally searching, buying and want to buy.

• Try to offer competitive price to the extent possible, however at the same time maintaining quality standards.

• Do visit the community boards often and interact with other ebay sellers on their selling experience and pick up some selling tips from them. Also share your experiences or any selling tips that you might have worked well with you.

• Do use some feature listings as this definitely helps get your products under the buyers view and chances of sales increase.

• Do keep yourself updated with the themes/promotions running at all times and if possible upload products accordingly. Do not loose the opportunity of free promotions that ebay provides. All promotions are announced on Announcement Boards Post

Selling on Ebay is easy and at the same time its fun!!! The idea of getting a positive feedback after every successful sale is very exciting for me. Another exciting part is the ability to interact with people from various parts of country, people whom I would have never known otherwise.

The above are my viewpoints. If you agree, disagree or want to offer your viewpoint, or have more questions please feel free to post here.

I hope you will find the above useful!

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 1 of 235
latest reply
234 REPLIES 234

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
dear chettymanoharshrinivas,

Paisapay ( Online Bank Transfer & Credit Card):

This method of payment basically gives an option to your buyer to pay you using his credit card or then do an online bank transfer.

Under this method, once the buyer makes payment online through paisapay, eBay receives this payment on your behalf. After the payment is cleared, ebay would notify you of receipt of payment via email. Once you receive this email, you need to ship the product to your buyer.
eBay will then send you the paisapay payment via DD on a weekly basis.

Registration for Paisapay is absolutely Free.. However there are some processing fees involved in every transaction through Paisapay.

For Credit Card Payment: 3.5 % is charged on the item price if the payment is through cc
FOR OBT: 2 % is charged is charged on the item price if the payment is through OBT.

Note: The processing fees would be deducted before sending you the Paisapay Cheque/DD

Paisapay is fast, secure and an easy way to accept payments. It also eliminates delay and follow up for payment.

Demand Draft/Cheque: Demand Draft and Cheque are offline methods of payment whereby you need to tell your buyer in whose favour you want the cheque/DD. The buyer would then courier the same to the address you have specified in your registration form. On receiving the same, you would clear the payment with your bank and then courier the product to the buyer hence completing the transaction.

Cash on Delivery (COD):Under this payment method you are giving an option to your buyer that you would first courier the product to your buyer and the person delivering the person would pick up cash at the time of delivery. Most courier companies offer this service for a small charge which you can ask your buyer to pay the same.

Buyer Picks and Pays:: This method works just the opposite to COD. Here a buyer selecting this method, will have to come down to your shop/home and pick up the product and pay cash at the time of delivery. However this method is limited to your local city only and hence selecting only this method would not be advisable.

Tip: Try giving buyers as many payment options as you can as you may then be able to cater to all sorts of buyers since you are allowing buyers to pay you through a method they are comfortable using.

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 101 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

deepchan_in1
Community Member
The item number I've listed is Item number: 270025447351

I have chosen Buy it now as well as auction sale. Usually two prices will be indicated along with the item. But now only one price is being displayed i.e. the current bid amount. The Buy It Now option is not at all seen on the screen. But I have been charged for the same in my Seller Account.
Message 102 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear deepchan_in1,

When you select an Auction with a Buy it Now Listing, the buy it now price is displayed on the listing page only until there is a bid on your item.

As soon as you receive a bid on your item, the Buy it Now Price disappears and the listing continues like any normal auction.

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 103 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

zanajaan
Community Member
Dear Tanya Goel,

Your tips for new users are very really very helpful.

I want to start selling through ebay.in. I want to sell 'burqa' (also spelled as burka, burqua, also called as 'purdah' which is worn by Muslim women - for more on burqa please refer wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa). Please advise under which Categories shall I post 'burqa' so that it attracts maximum people!

Regards,
Shameel
Message 104 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Shameel (zanajaan),

I am glad you found my tips helpful :-.

My opinion would be to list your product "burqa" under

Apparels & Accessories--> Womens Apparel-->Ethnic Wear-->Regional Wear

This should get you good visibility for your products.

Do get back to me for any further assistance!

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 105 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

jason_chiu888
Community Member
hello tanya,
i have a problem. I was out of town for a while. but the question i need to ask is, how do i give a refund back to the buyer through paisa pay? Actually the problem is I ask customer care and it was not much of a help.
I need to refund the money to buyer in a way that Ebay knows the money has been refunded.

jase
Message 106 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear jason_chiu888,

Since the payment is made through the Paisapay, you can write to the Paisapay Team through the Contact Us Link with details such as Item Id, Paisapay Id and buyer Id.

Alternatively, you can send in a DD/Cheque to the buyer directly. You can provide the refund details to eBay incase they require it

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 107 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

beadazzled.india
Community Member
hi tanya
i just listed an item for sale on ebay for the first time.i see it as listed when i check in "my ebay"
However qwhen i try 2 search for it in the category i lisdted it..its not visible.can you help me out as 2 y this is happening?
It is listed in jewellery>costume>bead
and the item no. is 130030175150

thx
Amishi
Message 108 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear beadazzled.india,

After you submit your listing, it may take few hours for it to reflect on the site although it may show in your My eBay page under Selling.

Incase after a couple of hours you are still not able to view your listing under the listed category, please report the same through the " Contact Us" link located under the Help Section

Warm Regards,
Tanya Goel
Message 109 of 235
latest reply

Tips for New Sellers!

kool-n-classi
Community Member
Hi Tanya
how are you, I have a prob. I sell my product to my buyer he paid for the product. I send the product to the buyer's address and some how it come back to me with the reason "NSP" means "not search person." in other words the person was not available at the given address.( this mess is either due to shipping co. or on buyer part ) I was in constant touch with the person, telling him about the details of the courier. but the buyer is abusive. now I don't want to deal with him any more. I want to send his money back. now the question is how do I get the paisa pay and final fee credit to my account. can you help me pls. I am new to this kind of deal.
thanks
kool-n-classi
Message 110 of 235
latest reply