New Feature which can help reduce UPI

rohit@ebay.com
Community Member
Dear Members,

We have just released a new feature within Buyer Requirements. As all of you would know, 'Buyer Requirements' is a feature which allows you to block buyers from bidding on or purchasing your items based on criteria. The new feature is extremely powerful and can be used effectively by sellers which allow you to block:

Buyers who have not gone through SMS Verification + Feedback Score

By selecting this combination, sellers will be able to restrict buyers from bidding on their items. To go through with the transactions, the buyers need to go through SMS Verification to continue with the transaction. We feel that this will help address, to some extent, the discussion around Buyer Verification and blocking fraud users.

While this may reduce your exposure to buyers who might make transactions difficult to get completed, it might also reduce the overall number of potential buyers you'll have for your items. For this reason, we suggest that you exercise judgment before using buyer requirements to block buyers.

To check this feature, please follow the below steps:
1. In My eBay, under the My Account column, click the "Preferences" link.
2. In the Seller Preferences section, click the "Edit" link. The Buyer Requirements page opens
3. Last Buyer Requirement option is the latest option

This thread is for our sellers to discuss this new feature, and provide us with your feedback.
Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Community Development Team

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Buyer Engagement Team
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hello,

I feel the sms verification is not enough.

Verification should be by credit card / obt.

Regards,

Devesh
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Hello,

This option should have been available for listing to listing and not the for the id as a whole.

Buyer requirements cannot be set for individual listings.

I may need to set the requirements for auctions where I spend money on ehanchement but not for BIN listing where I do no spend for enhanched features.

Devesh
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
Yes, This will certainly reduce the UPI Process, But this is not up to the mark. Buyers can verify from other's mobile phones. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

rishabh_iitk2001
Community Member
hi all,
It is good step in right direction.
It will certainly stop the nigerian buyers getting registered on indian address.
One cannot satisfy everybody but still it is a positive step by Ebay, india.
Cheers :-),

Rishabh
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Not a good step at all!

First of all, ebay doesnt have compulsory buyer verification process like sellers. It is 85% likely that buyers on ebay are not sellers themselves. Hence it is absolutely possible that they haven't gone through SMS/CC verification.

Ebay intentionally doesn't keep buyer verification compulsory since they know this will scare off 70% of users.

Now, most ebay buyers are new and have less that +5 feedback (i believe most power-sellers will agree with me). Moreover they aren't interested in selling, and havent gone thru verification. You will also find guys who have 30+ ratings & engage only in buying on ebay.

In this situation if someone puts this clause in his/her preferences, it is hard to say whether the item will sell.

Hence I am in doubt about the usefulness of this new feature. If someone has used this and got good selling results, please let me know!
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

sastaitshop
Community Member
Dear,

Here the if a buyer is genuinely interested in buying the product he or she will undergo a sms verification which is instant - there and there itself.

Secondly this verification dose not demand them to become a seller but just get themselves verified to be able buy a particular product. (Ability to sell thereafter is just an addition)

Regards !!sAsTaITsHop!!

:) Sunny 🙂
!!sAsTaITsHop!!

:) Sunny 🙂
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Dear friends,

In reply to the post by sastaitshop, I would like to know that if this is so simple and straight, why doesn't eBay include compulsory verification for all users, whoever registers on ebay.in.

Keeping this in mind, isn't it a bad approach that the buyer has to give a 'test of genuineness' before purchasing an item. Many might even feel insulted at this approach.

I have often come across buyers who make an on-spot decision of buying while searching on ebay. Some of them pay through DD and some by Bank Transfer the same day.
Just think of the situation when u dont have a Mobile or Credit-Card, and you are ready to pay, but you aren't verified!

I dont think many will go through this verification but instead will purchase same item from some other seller.
Net result : Loss in your business!

Thanks!
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

chixaov
Community Member
The thinking is right. Unpaid items is a serious issue and thus has to be tackled. This feature will be an important weapon in the hands of the seller. All of us sellers know how frustating it is not to receive payment after making so much effort in selling it. And many a times, VPP returns back due to wrong address. I support this idea and will make full use of this feature.
I am sure more innovative steps will be introduced in the coming days.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

velgean39
Community Member
While the idea is theoritically good, it may frustrate new users. In my experience with Ebay as a seller of stamps and philatelic items, I get positive deals from new buyers with ZERO ratings. Only about 5 to 10% of the new buyers do not pay or just pranksters.
Further as long as there is a provision to blacklist an user's ID SMS verification may not be necessary. The theory of averages may be followed here. If on the average there is no misuse there is no need for additional protection. Trains accidents happen sometimes any many people die. That does not mean that train service should be cancelled !
Message 10 of 11
latest reply