Airmail Parcel Post or Small Packet Post??

nitindb_india
Community Member
Hi,

Recently I visted the Foreign Post office (FPO) in Mumbai, and asked for the postal rates for various international services and was handed rates for Speed Post (SP) & Air Parcel (AP). I was shocked to find out that Air parcel rates were not much cheaper than Speed Post. I have since checked the India Post website (Maharashtra Postal Circle) and noticed other international services which I hadn't known about. One of these includes the Sample & Small Packet service for foreign post, which were much cheaper than SP or AP even with the Air surchage added on. The only restriction is that only a maximum of 2kg can be sent as a Small packet.

For example if I were to send a 2kg parcel to USA, here are the rates for the various services:-

Speed Post = Rs 1175

Air Parcel = Rs 1005

Small packet Airmail = Rs 555 (Rs 155 + Rs 400 Air Surcharge)

Why is it when I ask the FPO in Mumbai about 'Small Packet Airmail rates', they don't seem to know what I'm talking about? What are the typical dimentions of a parcel which can be sent as a 'small packet'? Does anyone use this service or know anything more about it?

Many thanks,

Nitin
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Airmail Parcel Post or Small Packet Post??

Track it at this link: http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ipswebtracking/IPSWeb_item_events.asp?itemid=RR407441122IN&Submit=Submit
StopandShop
Message 41 of 46
latest reply

superorgone
Community Member
recently all shipments sent through registered air mail through India post to United States america is untrackable in their website,do any one knows how to track them,please help
Message 42 of 46
latest reply

usdadevelopment13
Community Member
Thank You So much Great information. But i am shocked. There are too much Difference between both.

Usda Housing Loans
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

yes...Indian Postal service staff normally do not explain options properly.
Message 44 of 46
latest reply

I am planning to ship an iPhone from US to India, I am not worried about the times it takes to reach but it should reach safely but at best rates so please suggest and guide me to proceed further....

Message 45 of 46
latest reply

hi I wanted to know how you pack the material , so that they take it as a letter.

Message 46 of 46
latest reply