Airmail Parcel Post or Small Packet Post??

nitindb_india
Community Member
Hi,

Recently I visted the Foreign Post office (FPO) in Mumbai, and asked for the postal rates for various international services and was handed rates for Speed Post (SP) & Air Parcel (AP). I was shocked to find out that Air parcel rates were not much cheaper than Speed Post. I have since checked the India Post website (Maharashtra Postal Circle) and noticed other international services which I hadn't known about. One of these includes the Sample & Small Packet service for foreign post, which were much cheaper than SP or AP even with the Air surchage added on. The only restriction is that only a maximum of 2kg can be sent as a Small packet.

For example if I were to send a 2kg parcel to USA, here are the rates for the various services:-

Speed Post = Rs 1175

Air Parcel = Rs 1005

Small packet Airmail = Rs 555 (Rs 155 + Rs 400 Air Surcharge)

Why is it when I ask the FPO in Mumbai about 'Small Packet Airmail rates', they don't seem to know what I'm talking about? What are the typical dimentions of a parcel which can be sent as a 'small packet'? Does anyone use this service or know anything more about it?

Many thanks,

Nitin
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

nitindb_india
Community Member
Hi Again,

Here are the links to the Small Packet rates and the Speed Post and Parcels rates that I was mentioning:-

http://maharashtrapost.gov.in/htmldocs/internationalchart.htm

http://maharashtrapost.gov.in/htmldocs/annexe.htm

Looking forward to some discussion about this!
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
Hi Nitin,

Oops! I recently sent an register air parcel to Germany and for 670 Gms, It costs Rs.405/-

Thanks for the information. I will check it out with my regular post office. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

coolbrasco
Community Member
Hi

Small Pockets Air is very risky to send. You cannot seal and close the pack completely. If you send like subscription books, printed matters or simple thing which PostMan cannot steal can be sent by small pocket air.

Another cheapest option is SAL (called Economy Air or Surface Air) is 40% cheaper than Airmail, but you can close your parcel completely. Only problem is, from example if you are sening from Bombay to California by SAL, and if your airmail goes to NewYork first, next from NewYork it will go to California by surface, not by air. So, the customer receives late by 3-4 days compare to AirMail. If your Indian Postal service registraion is barcoded, You can also track the shipment from US Postal services website after arrival in NewYork.

Indian Postal service staff normally do not explain options properly. You have study yourself. Or use "Rights Information Act" if possible.

Regards,
CoolBrasCo
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

coolbrasco
Community Member
Hello,

I have been using Postal Airmail extensively. You have six category in that.

1. Airmail Letter --> You can close and seal the pocket, tou have to pay full Airmail charges + registration charges if apply.Incase case of suspected goods found in the customs, your letter will come back to you. Upto 2 KGS limit per pack. Each unit counts when every 10 grams in addition. Dimension i dont know.

2. Small Pocket Air --> You cannot close the parcel. You can use cotton threads to tie the pack or parcel. But 40% cheaper than Airmail. Max weight is upto 2kgs. They count every 20 grams. Separate charges for the registration. It is unsafe and if the post man is not honest, you will miss items.

3. Printed materials -> This is very special category and lowest among the airmail. This is for magazines and books, or other printed journals. You cannot close this aswell. 75 % cheaper than Airmail.

4. SAL (Surface Air) --> From one country to another country first it goes by air, for example from Delhi to NewYork it goes by Air, after reaching NewYork, it will travel via road to the destination. It may take 4-5 days extra time than Airmail. But you save 50% Airmail charges, but you can completely seal your pocket and safe. Limit upto 2 kgs.

5. Parcel Air.--> If 2 kgs and above you can use this option. First kg one rate and each 1/2 KG added further. Cheaper to send bulk items more than 2 KG. Can close the parcel and always get registered for free. If you need aknoledgment from addresee, you have pay extra for the card.

6. SAL (Surface Air) Air Parcel.--> From one country to another country first it goes by air, for example from Delhi to NewYork it goes by Air, after reaching NewYork, it will travel via road to the destination. If 2 kgs and above you can use this option. First kg one rate and each 1/2 KG added further 30% cheaper than Airmail. Cheaper to send bulk items more than 2 KG. Can close the parcel and always get registered for free. If you need aknoledgment from addresee, you have pay extra for the card. In India this service is not available. But many europian countries offers this facility.

With my 10 months experience in ebay, i have used Postal services, i can say 99.99% safer when you register a shipment. If you dont register the shipment 0.0009% safe i can say, it almost never reaches destination. Also dont use small pocket air(open parcel), if you send 2 T-Shirts, the customer will receive only one. Better to use SAL Air or Airmail and registration is must.

Regards,
CoolBrasCo.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Hi,

Many a times we send orders through Speed Post to areas not covered by our Courier Company.

Recently we noticed on the IndiaPost Website an additional service for Speed Post called Proof of Delivery (POD) for Rs. 10

Now our courier company usually supplies us the POD free as part of our contract.

What we would like to know is for Speed Post what is the process for sending a parcel with POD and also is it much safer or does not make that much of a difference?

-Regards,
pc_gaming_store
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

havenindia
Community Member
I ship worldwide daily and use Registered Airmail letter post for items less than 2kg and Airmail Parcel post for items over 2kg.
Registered Airmail basically means you are given a receipt so you can make a claim with Indiapost after 30 days if parcel does not reach destination..It costs about Rs30 more than Airmail stamp post.

No major problems with Airmail letter post, it is based on weight only and is not country specific, so you can offer a fixed price for worldwide in your listings. It usually takes about 8-10 days to arrive at destination, sometimes faster.

I only use SpeedPost within India because it is trackable and is cheaper than registered or normal slow post.
It is not worth using Speedpost for International because it costs about Rs700 to send a letter!
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Try this website.
http://indiapost.gov.in/

There is a postage calculator on the website and you can see different options how you can send parcels and find out.
You can even send a sample small packet to America for Rs220 ( 2kg) if you use surface to mail service.

Regards
Onesimpleman
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

The Postage calculator on the Indiapost website is a piece of scrap! The rates are totally misleading & different from those at the Post-office ?:|

Better ask you Postman what the rates are! 😉

I cant understand why they have a site like that running! Cant they keep dedicated engineers or support-staff to keep it updated with latest rates and cutting-edge tech? You dont even have to go to the USPS site, just look at the IRCTC.co.in to understand what a public-sector enterprise can achieve!

When will that day at last arrive (sigh)....may Santa bless them all this Winter!! :^O

Wish you a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!!
BYE!!
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

stylish_goods_co
Community Member
My local post office clerk doesn't want to accept small parcels as Registered Airmail Letter.....they want me top send it as an Airmail Parcel. At Mumbai GPO, however, they confirmed that I could send small parcels as Registered Airmail Letter, but I am not clear on the packaging required, documentation etc. Is cloth stitching required? What about sealing with wax?
Message 10 of 46
latest reply