cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreasonable Shipping Charges for a small item

Hi ,

This is regarding - SATA Data Cable For SATA DVD Writer & HDD .Even though the item cost is Rs 9 per unit ,  the shipping charge is Rs 40 ( you can't complaint about that..can you..no right ? ).

My issue is that I bought two of these items costing me Rs 18 ( reasonable pricing ) but the unreasonable part is when I had to pay individual shipping charges for these items meaning I paid Rs 80 + Rs 18 = Rs 98 when actually the cost should have been Rs 40 + 18= Rs 58. Smiley Surprised

Both the cables came in a single package ( not separately ) so why are you charging me individual shipping charges for each cable when you are delivering them in a single package.

On asking the seller , I was told that its ebay who is responsible for this issue. I would like ebay's explanation in this matter at the earliest.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Unreasonable Shipping Charges for a small item

ufo_big
Community Member

"My issue is that I bought two of these items costing me Rs 18 ( reasonable pricing )" . It is really strange that you are calling a price of Rs 9 for SATA Data Cable For SATA DVD Writer & HDD as reasonable . You got two cables (with shipping) at a price Rs 98 at eBay. Still you are complaining ?????  Very Strange!!!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I think you should not be in a hurry to increase your posts.Please understand the issue first otherwise it sounds and looks very STRANGE !!

Two individual cables have been packed and shipped in a SINGLE box.So shipping charges should be for a SINGLE item than for two items.Its the logic behind applying the shipping charges which is absurd.The amount is of little importance but the WAY the shipping charges have been applied makes you feel concerned.

As a member with 123 posts , more judgement and reasoning would be expected from your replies and posts.The issue cannot be explained in better detail than this and maybe closed as nothing useful has been gained out of this discussion.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Some sellers price their product less and charge more for shipping. This has many advantages for the seller but is AGAINST the ebay policy.

During checkout Ebay clearly shows the final amount that has to be paid by the customer. Customers should not buy the product if they feel that shipping charges are too high.

When you saw the price as Rs 9 for the cable you should have realised that seller is making money in the shipping as I dont think any sata cable can be available for Rs 9.

Therefore you should only buy when the total price (Product + shipping) seems genuine.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Your logic is correct. A cable is not a heavy item, so for 2 shipping should not be charged twice. While listing an item, there is an option, where the seller can specify the shipping chares for additional quantity of a product. Ideally he should have charged zero for each additional quantity purchased together or may be a nominal charge.

Having said the above, I want to tell you that the above logic does not always apply while pricing the items. Sometimes sellers price it in such a way that they do not earn anything from sale of a single unit. This may be to gain visibility or to liquidate excess inventory. They make some nominal profit by saving in shipping charges when a customer buys more than one quanity together. Had he priced each cable at Rs. 48 with free shipping, you might not have complained.

And finally, a customer buys an item through his own free will. No once forces him to buy. You probably bought the item from this seller becasue even after paying double shipping, you got the best deal. So please do not complain. If you think its unfair, do not buy. However once you buy even after knowing the charges, there is no maturity in complaining or leaving negative feedback as sometimes buyers do for this reason. Hope you got answer to your concern. Thank You.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I am not in a hurry to increase posts. There is no prize or awards on that, announced by eBay. While seeing my count you must have understood that I am much senior than you in eBay and trying to make you understand the ground realities. While buying any item you should clearly see the terms and conditions of sale, and I am sure you must have done that. Nowhere seller has mentioned that if two items purchased, you have to pay shipping charge for one item only. You should understand the price of an item is item cost + shipping charges. That is Rs 49 for each item. You must have verified that the market price of your item is above Rs 49 and in no way it is Rs 9. So on your part after buying two items after agreeing the terms and conditions of sale and then complaining is ridiculas. By now you must have understood that sellers many times make the item cost lower than actual cost and the difference they load in shipping cost. So while buying you should check the item cost + shipping chages and if it still sounds a good deal then you should  buy.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I am sorry, my last post is in reply to vyomgrisham (who has commented against my earlier post)  but unfortunately it was reflected against your post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Ebay cant help you.

One of my buyers had the same query. She wanted to buy 2 items from me but their shipping charge was combined 40+40

I could not make any change here, even though i wanted to do so. Dont know how many buyers ahve not bought from me because of this glitch.

Only Solution is, buy from a mobile app. Click Commit to buy and ask seller to send you an invoice wi the updated discount or adjusted shipping charge. then pay it off.

Sadly this does not work on website

Message 8 of 8
latest reply