International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi dsparklezz Aramex would not deliver you the product if it has customs charges associated.We will have to go to their office pay the charges and get it.

What i do in such cases is,my local DTDC courier manager is a good friend of mine and i pay him the Customs charges.He clears it from Aramex and delivers the product to me safely:-)

If you have good association with your local courier then you too can try it:-)
Message 31 of 98
latest reply

dsparklezz
Community Member
I did contacted some CHAs in Mumbai ,but the commodity being imitation jewellery ,they are not ready for clearance.Moreover customs have given last date also and Aramex cant clear it without CHA as per them.Please give your valuable suggestions in this regard.

Regards
D'sparklez
Message 32 of 98
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi dsparklezz if the CHA's are not ready to take the delivery then no other go you must go directly to the customs office with the specified documents.If any of your friends relative is a customs officer then you might contact them asap and ask advice.
Message 33 of 98
latest reply

hightechdealsever
Community Member
I had a bitter experience. I shipped an item from china to a customer in mysore. In the invoice it was valued only $52, but it was custom dutied of Rs3000. I dont know how do they calculate, I have already shipped items which are more costly with out any custom duty. I called the UPS customer care, they were helpless, and asked me to pay and take the product. I had no other option, or other wise, they would dispose it. If i return the item to the shipper in china, then i will have to pay them the import tax too. Does any one knows any notes keeping in invoice to avoid custom duty?On next shipping i will keep a birthday note and try.
Message 34 of 98
latest reply

aprilman65
Community Member
Hallo,

I wnated to ask if anybody here knows about the typical time taken by Foreign Customs at Mumbai to clear a small value item purchased from eBay and sent to India through USPS. This is to be delivered to me by IndiaPost.

An item that I recently purchased (value ~$100) was sent by USPS and the last status update indicates delivery to Foreign Customs in Mumbai on 30th October 2009. The status has not changed as of today, 5th November 2009.

I will appreciate any pointer that would help tracking the package at Foreign Customs Mumbai.

Thank you.
Message 35 of 98
latest reply

iraniyohanbz
Community Member
Hi,
Im from India and have purchased a mobile phone on ebay.com from a US seller located in LA. The item was shipped on 3rd Nov 09 (IST) and the mode of shipping displayed for the auction is "International - Standard Shipped on: 03-Nov-2009". The shipping doesn't have a tracking no. I asked the seller why he hasn't provided a tracking no. and he said that although he charged me $30 for the shipping, when he reached the post office, they told him that the full charge would come up-to $70 if he also wanted a tracking no. Hence to avoid the additional charges, he shipped the item using the non-tracking no. method. Now after reading all the replies in this thread about Custom Charges and CHA, and although today is only the 6th day after the item was shipped, I am a little worried whether the package will arrive safely or not. Also, how do i now know which courier was used by the seller and which courier in India will be used to deliver it to me. Im located in Mumbai. Can someone please help? Thanks, in advance.
Message 36 of 98
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi iraniyohanbz do not worry.If the description and declared values are correct customs would not hold the package.Since he has said you he visited Post Office you will receive your item through our Indian Postal Service only.
Message 37 of 98
latest reply

hijack_adi
Community Member
Hi Pareshwins & Thegenuinecolletions ... need your help please. Will there be any customs duty on a mobile phone imported from the US. Approx rate will be between 4500 and 5800 Rs. I am making this purchase through Global Easy Buy. Thanks in advance.
Message 38 of 98
latest reply

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi hijack_adi,

If you are buying via Global EasyBuy, then the price you pay will be an all inclusive price including customs, clearance and shipping charges. No worries about paying additional charges.

Hope this helps!
Sapana
Message 39 of 98
latest reply

hijack_adi
Community Member
@ Sapana --> thank a lot. Appreciate your timely feedback.
Message 40 of 98
latest reply