International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: International Purchases and Customs.

dear Sir/Madam,

if i purchase i phone from your site for any hong kong seller? then have me to pay any extra amount ? like custome or any other shipping charges?

Regards

Gurvinder Singh

Message 91 of 98
latest reply

okay, so there is no customs office in my city. what will happen?
will it be sent to our local post office and i will have to pay to them?

can you help?

Message 92 of 98
latest reply

MY experience,

1) if U order anyting more than 2K worth then u have to pay customs duties, if the seller shipping through China post or EMS or Hongkong post then some times the parsel may get skipped by the customs officeres for duties, that means ur lucky.

But the danger ur items may get stuck forever if the seller shipped through "normal post " which means if they use their country post office then u receive here by INDIA POST.

Some times they open the package if they see it little big like a phone box, if its smaller packet then they try to sneak into it by making a hole, if its big then they open it and seal it with tape.

REMEMBER only use this "cheap postal service" for cheap items only. There are chances that u never receive the tiem(It happend to me couple of times but those are cheap items like camera battery cables some plugs etc.)

I never paid any duty when i received through india post(again cheap items and couple of times i received from UK and USA trough india post worth of 10K tablets some how they got escaped ).

The danger ur item may get lost or stolen or get damaged , no guarantee can be given.

If they caught ur item and levied some duty, u will be either called or most probebly receive a letter or once the package reaches at ur local post office they will call u or inform u by post man to come to office and pay the duty and get the item.

----------

2) If ur item is worth more than 100$ or if its delicate always select FeDex and DHL, they deliver it with in 10 days most of the time. Ofcourse u have to pay extra money for the shipping .

Once the item reaches INDIA it might land at Mumbai, delhi, banglore or chennai customs. All the parcels from Fedex and DHL will be opened and checked(if its a very small package like letter packet they might not open it). 

ITem worth more than 2k will be liable to duty. Remember there is no "rule of thumb" to say how much they goiong to levy the duty on ur package "Ur at their complete mercy". Some times they charge less or some time high.

But always expect 41% of the total item cost. If they think that the invoice in the packge is legit then they levy the amount baced on the invoice, but if they suspect that the item cost is lesser than the market price then they search the same item on the webist where u purchased and see the price and then they levi the duty.

U can see the tracking of the package where it lands at the customs, once it cleared customs without any problems(i will tell u how to avoid problems at customs with ur package below) then u will receive a call from Fedex or DHL saying how much u have to pay as duty when u get the item.

If ur unable to receve the call just chat with them (fedex has chat system i don't know about DHL), so u can ask for the amount of duty.

Once it reaches ur local Fedex or DHL facility they will inform u about the amount (the courier boy) then u can pay the money and get the package from the fedex van(if the parcel is small then courier boy will come if the package is more than 2 kg u will receive it through VAN)

FEDEX and DHL will deal with the customs on their own so u don't have to talk to the customs, they will clear the package for u, but u have to provide ur ID and address proof along with purchase invoice and ebya order (or where u purchased it from). If u see anything like "certains froms required for clearing customs on the tracking" then immediately contact and download the import form attatch ur phone and id and address prooof(the address proof should be on the address where u receiving the package or u might get in to trouble) and scan them and send to their email ids( they will tell the IDs). 

MOst of the time the customs take about 3 days so u will receive the with in 6 days once the item is shipped from the seller(fedex and DHL are fact), i mostly receve the items from fedex and get them with in 6 days. Remember to chek the traking every day for progress.

-

WARNINGS: 

1) Never ask the seller to say it as GIFT or try to display the invoice MRP lower than what u paid for. U will get into serious trouble if they find out that the package worth more than what mentioned. 

For example if they find out that ur invoice is a cheat then they will hold ur package and send u a notice saying that to send all the details of the purchase proofs and credit card bills id and address proofs. Here u might get caught and u can booked under cheating offence . So avoid this nonscense, just be honest and get ready to pay the duties.

I recommed u to not receive any GIFT from overseas, this is very unpredictable. Even if its GIFT its liable to duty.

If u imporing some tools or busineed or industrial items, make sure they are legal. I imported some heavvy electrical items like power tools from china, but if that is more than thousand dollers then u should not purchase personally , get a Important agent or aquire a Import licence.

Used items are not permitted to import so make sure the seller list them as "REFURBISHED" before u purchase them. remember the duty will be on the real item price not the invoice if they see whats inside, if ur lucky they only lay duty on the invoice.

FOR any reason if ur item is stuck ( most probebly it won't happen with Fedex and DHL unless ur cheating the customs) then approack an agent in that area where ur item is got stuck or visit personally.

Guys customes department is not someting "ALEN" its just a normal govt office with is heavvly "currupte" just like any other govt department, so u can bribe them to get ur package cleared, well thats the way things in india works right. ANd don't try to argue or fight with customs coz this is falls under Central govt and directly under finance minister, unless u have some one who is in the ministry u should not mess with these guys ( U can't file a case againest them thats the irony). Just find an agent, just like any other govt office u will see lot of "middle men shops " at the office just approach one and get ur package released. I know its hard to get to there sometimes if ur from different state , but if the item is worth going then go for it.

My personal openinon is u can purchase from overseas but don't purchase too often and don't purchase too high valued item not more than once a month, becoz all ur purchases will be monitered using ur pan number( u have to provide it to the customs as id proof) so be carefull, if ur an ocational buyer then nothing to worry.

CHEERS.

Hope it helps.

Message 93 of 98
latest reply

I ordered some stuffed toys for Christmas from Japan. They have arrived in India but are at the Mumbai FPO, on tracking page it says "In Customs Mumbai FPO". They have been there for three days now. Will they send me those items or do I need to do something?

Message 94 of 98
latest reply

shyjk8
Community Member
The ultimate judgement for a value is ultimately in the hands of customs officer.even if your seller gives an attached invoice value.
Message 95 of 98
latest reply

shyjk8
Community Member
You might contact the parcel agencies. They may clear the customs.
Message 96 of 98
latest reply

Hi Sandyjpatil,

I purchased a electronic test instrument from ebay which was shipped to india through USPS. I paid $450 including shipping. But today our locality postman came to my home and handed over a letter and said u have to pay Rs.28,000/- as a custom duty to receive the instrument. What should i do now?? cause custom charge is more than the instrument price. could you please help me out
Message 97 of 98
latest reply

yasin-7978
Community Member
Sir what was import fee and custom fee for purchasing a laptop from usa to india the model number is DELL INSPIRON i5579-7746GRY-PUS 15.6'' FHD TOUCH LAPTOP
Message 98 of 98
latest reply