Selling Overseas Products in India

englishteacafe
Community Member
Hi all,

My first impression of eBay India was not very impressing. I have been a big fan of eBay USA, UK, etc. But the items sold on eBay india did put me off.

I wish to sell quality items to India from abroad. I tried putting few listing but so far havn't got very good response. I must admit i am just new on eBay india, so i am going to try different ventures on eBay. I know this will take time, but meanwhile thought of seeking help from the community.

Can anyone suggest what items will sell more on eBay india from overseas. One has to bear in mind that the price will be usually high due to the currency. Also the shipping will be by air thus it will be high too.

I do feel eBay india lacks quality of products, for that i thought of selling perfume brands, technological stuff such as CDRs, Wireless mouse/keyboards, mobiles, branded cosmetics such as maybelline, rimmel, calvin klein, etc.

What do you lot think? Any suggestions are most welcome. Or if you are hunting for an item from abroad please do let me know i will be happy to put it on eBay India. The shipping will be from UK.

Thank You
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

hi2k_soho
Community Member
Hi ... Welcome to ebay india !! but am rally surprised at your evaluation regarding products lacking appeal ?? i invite you for a second browse of the site with a bit of leisure .....
an honest advise for you regarding you trying to sell here is THAT IT WOULD BE HARD FOR YOU ... simply because of the curency disadvantage ....
however if you have something of a special nature to offer ... i would suggest you to join hands with a seasoned local seller and shipping in bulk to this person who resells .... as atleast to lower the postage rates !

again a honest suggestion you would be much better off i you instead chose to source products from here and sell in your country .... believe me india is becoming huge in global perceptions and our attire / our customs / our thougts are increasingly gaining polularity !
regards / hittesh
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

englishteacafe
Community Member
Hi hittesh

Good to see your reply, some of your suggested points are quite good, but i doubt it if i can implement it.

as per your suggestion i should sell to the wholesalers of India, which is a very good point. but unfortunately there is no category on eBay india where wholesalers can sell or buy items, unlike UK eBay where there is a different category option for wholesale items/listings.

yes i do think quality lacks on indian ebay. my first experience on ebay started with UK's ebay, i loved the site and the goods available on it. there is so much variety and loads to choose from. prices are very competitive as loads of foreign companies/people trade there unlike on ebay india where only indian residents are the sellers.

yes i am aware that indian market is getting bigger and bigger everyday and many people want to get their hands on indian commodities. well i do sell some stuff from india on overseas ebay such as uk and usa. so that's something sorted, i wanted to create market for abroad traders to sell it on ebay india so more and more indians can get quality stuff at may be little expensive price but atleast they will have options to choose from.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

danta2016
Community Member
Hello Englishteacafe,

I am an Indian based in United Kingdom and has been trading on ebay since 1999 (when i was in India in different ID). I am thinking in the same lines as you to find products to sell in ebay India.

I tried to sell an item on ebay India. First thing i noticed was the reduced fee. It is grossly unfair. There is no listing fee or gallery fee or picture fee upto 3 pictures. Then item was sold and it was a nigerian. relisted two more times and every time nigerian bought it. Because ebay india does not have a proper buyer verification, lot of these fraudsters have slipped through and ruin the auctions. Then i got a message from ebay saying you have put your email id and contact phone number on auction, so it is cicumventing ebay fee. I have never had this problem before on any other ebay websites. This experience makes me feel that ebay.in is an entity on its own with different rules which gives them unfair advantage over others.

Yes, I would like to say there is no depth in items in ebay india where as in other international sites you can type in anything you want and you will find someone offering it. But this is a new website and things will improve.
But without a level play field ebay india's integration with ebay international will not be possible.

If you are trying to find new products, we can move together. I was in India till last July and kinda know the Indian market. Just send a personal message on my ebay messages if you are intrested.
Thank you,
kind regards,
Dan
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

englishteacafe
Community Member
oh tell me more about it - circumventing fees, policies, etc, etc etc........and on on on.........

eBay UK has rather more flexibility than ebay india. yea you can easily insert item on uk ebay and they are not fussy about it.

since i am based in UK as well, opening acc with indian ebay was very difficult. also paisapay is very inefficient, it won't let me register if i put my uk address on it.

with all these mess they even suspended my account, thinking that i am some fake person who has two locations. well fair enough that they are taking measures that no fraudsters trade on ebay but while registration they should check all these things. they checked my identity with email, mobile etc and still suspended my acc!!!!

i tried selling brand nail polishes from here and it had two polishes in a pic while the description said that you are bidding on only one item. and there again - got email about circumventing the fees. well it is too much hassle and fuss when you list item on ebay. at one point i was dead scared to log on to ebay India : -| !!!

It was good to see your reply Dan on ebay india, i have sent you an email few days ago. hope you got it.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

englishteacafe
Community Member
Hello there all

?:|

Suggest few items which are cheaper abroad and expensive in india.

Also what items of abroad have demand in india.

Your suggestions to these two que will be gr8.
thx
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

yand9331
Community Member
There is a great new website that may be of interest to you, called "The Casual Courier": www.casualcourier.com

Senders of packages use TCC to find independent travelers to deliver their package anywhere in the world, especially to/from India, for a fee that they determine on their own.

Travelers use TCC to earn a fee for delivering senders' packages during their EXISTING trip to offset travel expenses. Unlike traditional "formal" couriers, TCC does not restrict travel plans, or itinerary, and does NOT require membership fees.

There are currently packages awaiting delivery to/from India ... and all over the world

Their philosophy is: "You're going anyway -- so, why not take a package with you and make some extra money!"

So, whether you need a package sent worldwide for a fraction of the traditional delivery costs, or you are taking a trip and want to earn money for carrying a package with you, login to TCC!

Registration is free and easy.

www.casualcourier.com
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

revasheetal
Community Member
hi all,

I need to know the food products which are expensive abroad while it is cheaper in india.

Also the items which are more in demand in UK from India.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

sammyiyer
Community Member
Hello EnglishTeacafe!
You should know that Customs barrier in to India is a big negative concept for most Indians (non business types).Average guy wont even accept goods from abroad for free if you tell him to go to Customs dept to collect!!
Selling to commercial types (importers/whole salers) is the only option.But they will be very savvy& will know International rock bottom prices.
Just a thought.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

harshus_latins
Community Member
hello sir,
i have been trying to search for " New Glass Lens Screen for Sony Ericsson J10 ELM Black " , have seen it on ebay.com and ebay.uk but have been breaking my head as to how to order it from overseas, it will be off immense help to me and people of my condition who spend days searching for the original mobile accessory and finally end up paying an unreasonably high priced and much inferior quality LOCAL ( OR CHINESE MADE ) mobile accessories.. thank you very much in advance sir ..hoping to hear from u sir..
Message 10 of 10
latest reply