cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Maximum Shipping & handling charges to improve buyer experience

Dear Sellers,

Shipping and handling charges is one of the important aspects that a buyer considers while buying on eBay. Data has shown that Free / standardized shipping charges help improve buyer confidence and seller’s sales. However, when buyers see unreasonable shipping charges, they spend less overall. To help right-price and bring about increased standardization in the shipping and handling charges, a limit on maximum shipping and handling charges are being introduced in the following categories:http://pages.ebay.in/aboutebay/Final_Shipping_Caps.html

These changes will be applicable from 11th October 2010

These limits are applicable to all domestic shipping methods:
• Flat Rate Courier – Delivery anywhere in India
• Local Courier – Delivery within a seller’s city
• National courier – Delivery Outside a seller’s city
• PaisaPay Cash on Delivery

These limits are not applicable to International Shipping options.

For most sellers, these changes do not affect how you currently list on eBay as most listings are already within these postage limits. The remaining small percentage of sellers who currently charge more than the above mentioned shipping charges, should review their listings to ensure they are in line with these changes.

Listings that have shipping charges more than the above limits post 11th October 2010 will not go live on eBay.in.

To know more about these changes, please read our FAQ section, http://pages.ebay.in/aboutebay/Shipping_Caps_FAQs.htmlcontact our Customer Support Team or post your questions on this thread.

Please join an Online Workshop on this topic between 4 PM - 5 PM on 21st September for any clarifications on this topic.

Regards,
The eBay Team
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

anil@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi Handicrafts_store,

I think you are referring to your items listed in Wall Clocks & Time pieces category under Watches Meta. kindly understand that currently there are no max S&H charges applicable for this category.

Regards
Anil Shenoy
Message 11 of 69
latest reply

anil@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi Bigoffer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

As I have mentioned earlier as well, We have arrived at these value after going through various data points, to name a few (past data on transactions done on our site, current & past listings on our site, buyer response to purchases which had higher shipment & handling charges).

Basis the existing limits on S&H charges, we have seen that vast majority of our sellers & their listings (big & small) fall well within the limits specified.

Also understand that when buyers search for a the product on eBay, based on different sellers on our site, the buyer will find differential S& H charges being charged by Seller for the same product & comparisons between sellers are bound to be made by buyers. Data has suggested that buyers have responded negatively to listings which have comparatively higher shipment charges than others, either through feedback system post sale or through lower conversion rates for seller, in both cases which is not good for anybody (eBay included).

With the implementation of limits on S&H charges, we will see standardization in the buyer shopping experience & increased level of Buyer confidence for their sellers, resulting improved sales for both the Sellers & eBay.

Regards
Anil Shenoy
Message 12 of 69
latest reply

What a Worst thing is this. I Demand ebay to tell me which Courier company will ship for 50Rs Nation wide.Please review all the changes And at least make to 75 from 50.Ebay is getting un flexible
Message 13 of 69
latest reply

mobile-phones-etc
Community Member
I found prices quite realistic. However, eBay is forgetting insurance part. buy genuine mobiles at unbeatable price.
http://stores.shop.ebay.in/Mobile-Phones-ETC

Change is state of mind..but inevitable.
buy genuine mobiles at unbeatable price.
http://stores.shop.ebay.in/Mobile-Phones-ETC

Change is state of mind..but inevitable.
Message 14 of 69
latest reply

Hi,
Max cap for my main items: stamps and share is 75. I dont charge that much also for P&P.
But how an elaborately bound antique book can be shipped for 50 bucks?
Bad vindictive attitude towards an intellectual item. How does ebay propose to compete with amazon?
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 15 of 69
latest reply

Hello mobile-phones-etc,
How about shipping a heavy antique hard cover book by speedpost for max cap of INR50?
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 16 of 69
latest reply

linusstudios
Community Member
Amitava Jee, thats exactly I mean when I say sellers with expertise on each category should have been consulted.

Anil Jee with all due respect I am welcoming this move with open arms. I am only concerned with the fact that the cap which has been implemented should have been backed by a deeper research. To prove my point here are some data from mine own records-

1- T-Shirt - weighs 150- 250 gms on avg
2- Jeans- Weighs- 800 gms
3- Woolen Jackets- 2-4 Kgs

What we notice is inside Apparel in just these 3 sub categories there is such a big variation.

Now courier charges( by air) can be right from Rs 20
Minimum to Rs 500 for the above products.

Add to it the variation in rates which seller gets from the courier agencies, depending on his level of business.

How can a single slab of Rs 100 inside apparels Justify these all variations?
Message 17 of 69
latest reply

teslamachine1856
Community Member
Most of the replies from ebay tell us that they have come to this conclusion based on past data. But ebay is forgetting one thing. This entire world runs only on one commodity - "Crude Oil". The prices are changing almost every month and all courier companies are charging Fuel Surcharge.

Previously the courier charges were Rs.60/-(up to 250g) Nation wide through DTDC but now it is Rs.85/-(up to 250g) Nation Wide. And God knows what the prices will be tomorrow and the prices given above are only for a weight of 250 grams. The extra Rs.25/- is because of the fuel surcharge(Visit www.DTDC.in) I never had any problem with these people(No problem encountered for 200+ shipments from my side). Their service is very reliable.

And if you use cheap services you have the risk of you products not being delivered or lost or not being accepted by the courier company as is the case with SpeedPost.

And eBay suggests sellers that all items cant be shipped at eBay mentioned charges and suggests sellers to put the difference money into the item price which obviously increases the FVF charge and so more $MONEY$ for eBay and so this is another strategy to increase ebay's profit!!

Ebay also tells that it is because of seller's feedback that it has come to this conclusion (FAQ 6) which I don't believe.

Ebay tells that their research has found that people are more attracted to free shipping and I bet that INDIANS are not idiots to believe such a thing and they are even more careful about this. Before they buy anything, they would have searched and inquired about the items well in advance through many other sources. And people may be tricked once or twice, not every time.

And finally....

This entire online business depends on IT industry(currently) and Crude Oil(Ultimately). If there is any change to either of these, you will feel the heat immediately. And the best thing is that Neither of these Is Stable!!

Final Conclusion- This is a strategy to increase profits through FVF because most of the items can't be shipped at the shipping prices mentioned by Ebay and obviously the seller will increase the item sale price which increases FVF

Feedback to eBay- Please reconsider the prices and be more practical.
Message 18 of 69
latest reply

Dear Anil Shenoy,

Thanks for your prompt response. But I don't think so that any seller on eBay is taking high charges for shipping. eBay is trying to say that if product cost is 500 & sellers are taking 400 as a shipping then I am also agree that its wrong. Whereas sellers are selling mobile accessories suppose Bluetooth dongle worth Rs. 1000 & do you agree it will reach in good condition by paying 50Rs. to courier company. ?? Its very easy to say to mention this much shipping cost but truth is that seller has to see everything means insurance, timely delivery and etc.. Whereas eBay is only thinking about charges are not looking about other issues which sellers have.

Really this is very bad step eBay is taking & I am very sure it will affect. You know its like our Indian Government what they do that is right and what people will do that is wrong. Here eBay is Indian Government & we are people who are suffering from there unfair rules.

Regards
Vilas
Message 19 of 69
latest reply

Prince,

What happen do you agree with these rates?

regards
rhtdm.6624
Message 20 of 69
latest reply