GST registration as individual

Hi, has anyone tried registering as an individual on the GST site? The first form asks for "Legal name of business (as on PAN card)". Obviously as an individual selling a couple of used items a month I don't have a business! So do individuals have to withdraw from ebay? Are there any other platforms that can serve the purpose?  My buyers have been overseas so far. Many thanks!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: GST registration as individual

Unfortunately there is no such thing as just sellers in govt dictonary. For government we are SME and all the rules will apply on us as well. The e-commerce portals will not ask you for Shop Licence but by asking VAT, they are indirectly forcing you to get yourself the licence.

A sole proprietor business which we all will claim to be, must have some proof of sole proprietor business in order to get VAT. And that proof is Shop and Establishment Act Licence. Therefore by just demanding VAT, online portals are indirectly forcing you to get the licence. Same situation will arise for GST registration. 

As far as I know, there is no need to have a physical store to get the licence. You can get it even if selling from your house. At least this is what a CA told me while expressing shock that I am doing online sale for last 3 months but still haven't considered applying for Shop and Establishment Act.

I spoke to several experts, every single one of the presumed that since I am individual/self proprietor business, I must have the Shop and Establishment Act licence. 

The reason why sellers mostly on EBay are struggling is because Ebay never asked for VAT number to be provided. On other platforms, VAT is required to sell anything except books. I see that several sellers on Ebay are doing business with savings account for years, which in itself is wrong. They must have Current Account, and to get that, once again, Shop Licence is required. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

What is HSN CODE for mobile accessories?
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

same issue here too,How did you apply for the GST

What are the things needed ,Please help

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Dear latestgadgets4all here are the details that you seek.

GST Rate

Mobile Phones

HSN code 8517

GST rate 12%

Charger

HSN code 8504

GST 28%

Earphone

HSN code 8518

GST 18%

Batteries

HSN code 8506

GST 28%

Power Bank

HSN code 8504

GST 28%

Phone Case & Back Cover

HSN code 4202

GST 28%

Memory Card

HSN code 8523

GST 18%

USB Cable

HSN code 8504

GST 28%

Speakers

HSN code 8518

GST 18%

Headphones

HSN code 8518

GST 18%

Plastic Screen Protector

HSN code 3919

GST 18%

Tempered Glass Screen Protector

HSN code 3923

GST 18%
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

roosing_74
Community Member
10 rupees ka note
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

I don't have GST number. But I want to sell notes on line. What to do.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

jerlrob
Community Member
How to apply as individual. Kindly send me link
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Simply go to http://gst.gov.in and register. When applying, register yourself as Sole Proprietor. The documents you will require include:-

1. Pan Card

2. Aadhar Card

3. Proof of place of business (electricity bill, property tax, rent agreement etc).

4. Bank Account (Savings or Current) any will do.

5. Passbook

That's all you are going to need.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

aaliykha-3
Community Member

I have correct details for GST still its been few months and my documents have still not been verified.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply