cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Nigerian Buyers -- eBay's intervention needed

rj_baazee
Community Member
Can't eBay do something about these fake Nigerian buyers who are here just to cheat ? If they buy a seller's item, then the item disappears from the seller's list & he has to relist it again. Not only that, the seller has to bear the listing charges, whatever it is, for that item sold ( ...read not sold ) to those fake people.

eBay should also do something to not allow people who have their address outside of the seller's shipping areas to purchase the item. This will to a great extent prevent fraudulent buyers. I request the eBay staff to seriuosly look into this and put an end to this menace as early as possible or it may become a very serious issue in future. BEWARE !!!!!!

Thanks & Regards
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

rj_baazee
Community Member
Hi all,

I also have 2 items that have been brought by fraud Nigerian Buyers. I have not gone ahead with the trading in anyway, but I want to know if I should leave a negative rating or should I just leave it like that. Also, should I file some report or something about the cancellation of this trading. Will I be charged for the transaction if I dont file any report ? If so, please let me know how to file a report about this with eBay. Please advice me what to do on this.
Thanks & Regards
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

near_the_pits
Community Member
Can you set your auctions to require immediate payment on Buy It Now items?

I read on another ebay site where the seller did this and that reduced the number of fraudulent buyers. She also included in her auction that she would not ship to Africa.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

rj_baazee
Community Member
Hi all,
Two of my items sold on eBay, but I found the buyers to be fake Nigerians. So, I have stopped proceeding any further by not giving them any details about payment or my account number or any other details.

But on the My Account page it's showing that I need to pay eBay around Rs. 1400 for those items sold. How do I rectify this ? Can anyone please help me ?

Thanks & Regards.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

near_the_pits
Community Member
This bidders target new sellers with items such as mobile phones.

You may want to add to your auction that you will not send to Nigeria as one seller has indicated. She said she also set her Buy It Now with immediate payment required. According to her, she does get these Nigerian bidders.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

near_the_pits
Community Member
Leave the negative and report them as an unwelcome buyer at the link below:

http://pages.ebay.in/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

I believe you would have to wait 7 days from the end of the auction to file the Unpaid item report to get your final value fees returned.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

addiecoolbz
Community Member
this is it. I give up. If ebay cannot manage to avoid these nigerians I am stopping to sell high value items on ebay.
I have tried all mentioned methods to avoid this but this is beyond my control. I posted my card for sale and in 10 days 3 nigerians have bought it and I have been billed above Rs. 20000 as fees. I am not going to pay it and I am not going to sell anything good value. EBAY HAS FAILED TO MANAGE THIS. IT IS EASY TO SAY THAT WE FILE A NEGATIVE REMARK AND UNPAID DISPUTE BUT MOST OF THE TIMES THE BUYER JUST UNREGISTERS AND COMES UNDER A NEW NAME. THIS HAS NO END. THIS IS SAD. I ADVICE ALL SELLERS TO REDUCE HIGH VALUE ITEMS ON EBAY AS IT IS NOT SAFE. THESE NIGERIANS GET ALL OUR CONTACT DETAILS WHICH IS A SECURITY ISSUE. I HOPE EBAY LISTENS TO GENUINE BUYERS THAN HELPING OUT FRAUDS.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

touch_and_shine
Community Member

Thank God I have not
met any Nigerian Buyer on Ebay. And if I will then I will be very much careful
now.

touch_and_shine

http://search.ebay.in/_W0QQsassZtouchQ5fandQ5fshine

Seller on Ebay.in

user posted image

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

sastaitshop
Community Member
I completely agree with addiecoolbz !!

Its a serious issue !!
!!sAsTaITsHop!!

:) Sunny 🙂
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

indiaartpalace
Community Member
Hi everyone,
I have been going through all the problems with Nigerian Buyers, but coincidently, mine is a strange case (+ve or -ve; I do not know)
One Nigerian buyer bought an item from me with an ID created same day, purchased my low value item, immediately over-paid than the actual bill, and deregistered next day. Though I informed him, shipped the item, refunded his extra amount through paisapay, but till today, I cannot figure out his erratic behaviour.
Any clues or advice!!
indiaartpalace
Message 10 of 18
latest reply