Ebay planning to become Indian AliExpress?

Every single article recently about eBay highlights the company's intention to become cross border platform in India like AliExpress. I don't think this is such a great strategy considering that most sellers here won't be able to compete with AliExpress because.

A) Chinese goods are inexpensive plus a large number of Indian sellers practically sells Chinese imported products.

B) Chinese govt subsidize international shipping for their sellers to promote export, we have no such system. While we will end up paying Rs 400+ to ship an item, AliExpress sellers can offer it with free shipping or with minimal delivery charge of Rs 70.

C) A lot of sellers on AliExpress are actually wholesalers and manufacturers which means that we can't compete with them on price.

I think ebay should forget about cross border trade and focus on domestic sales but it seems that they have given up on that segment.
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Ebay planning to become Indian AliExpress?

If ebay starts Aliexpress like portal then it will be for India centric goods and not electronics, we have lots of Indian goods where China does not stand a chance to compete with India.

That is if at all ebay begins operation in India once again but I do not think ebay will start anything in India anymore and as you said about sellers facing export issues there is no chance at all of ebay starting anything anymore ever, ebay is gone for good.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Ebay planning to become Indian AliExpress?

Please read this post, It's very important for all sellers who are concerned about their remittances as much as I am.....

All-sellers-must-read-this-post-VERY-IMPORTANT/m-p/159581#M19307

Message 3 of 3
latest reply