How to receive payments from International Buyers

Dear Sellers,

We would like to address some of the open questions from our community on the PayPal remittances & clarifications on Person to Person transfers.

Classification of PayPal Accounts: All PayPal accounts allow you to send and receive payments. Accounts can be classified as under:

- Personal accounts are mostly used for buying.
- Premier accounts are used for buying and selling using your personal name.
- Business accounts are for buying and selling using your business or corporate name. Hence it’s advised to have a Business account for all transactions that take place for exchange of goods and services & to receive money.

What is a Person to Person Transfer?

Any transfer of money between two individuals without any exchange of goods or services would fall under Person to Person Transfers.

What is the right procedure to receive payments from international buyers?

"Creating an invoice" with the details of the eBay transaction will give the necessary information related to the transaction. Such transactions would qualify as non Person to Person transfers.

How do I create a PayPal Invoice?

1.Log in to your PayPal account
2.Select the Request Money tab
3.Click "Create an Invoice"

4.Please avoid using the option Create a money request to receive payments from buyers.
5.Enter the required information

6.Click Continue
7.Review the information and click Send Invoice to send an invoice to the buyer

Do I need to have any specific account to "Create an invoice"

No. All types of PayPal accounts ( Personal, Business & Premier) would allow you to create an invoice. However, for all business transactions involving exchange of goods and services, its advised to upgrade your PayPal account to a business account as Business accounts are for buying and selling using your business or corporate name.

How do I upgrade my Personal account?

Here's how to upgrade to a Premier or Business account:

1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Click Upgrade Account in the Enhance Your Account box.
3.Click Upgrade Now.
4.Choose Business account.
5.Click Continue.
6.For a Business account, fill in your business information and click Continue.

How do I upgrade from a Premier to a Business account?

1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Click My Account.
3.Click Profile at the top of the page.

4.Click Personal/Business Information in the Account Information column.

5.Click Upgrade.

6. Enter your business information and click Submit.

You will be prompted to a message informing you that your account has been successfully upgraded to a Business Account. Click on the "Special features" link to know more about the benefits of having a Business Account.

Selling Best Practices

When you are looking to expand your business internationally and choose to sell items listed on eBay India to international buyers, they might want to make the payment using PayPal. If you are offering PayPal as one of the methods for receiving payments from buyers; it is suggested that you mention in the item description that you will be sending a PayPal invoice and the buyer should make the payment only after receiving your invoice. Use the below banner to message this effectively to your buyers.

We request you to copy this image URL image URL and paste it in your item description which would help international buyers to complete their payment.

Regards,
The eBay Team
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

cosycom
Community Member
Hi Seema/eBay team , Dont you people think you have issued this information only after a lot of damage has already been done to our business . Why ebay cant efford to frequently communicate such educational messages so that such problems does not arrive at all.

I have a business account with paypal since many years & never new that I have to creat a Invoice in that manner . I always seleced a money request & selected it for goods . As soon as a user selects it as goods the paypal should automatically open the invoice page for a business member. If an old member like me can do this mistake there are great chances that a new user will also do the same .

ebay has become so complicated since its conception .Now only experienced well setteled business houses can manage to continue . It needs to be simplified and every care should be taken by your system & customer support department that things are done correctly by all user .

Another example of your system failure is here: Just yesterday one of my listing was brought down with a message that it contained information about other products I am offering on ebay or can manufacture to customised specifications . the information used to be there on all my listings for many years .It was so helpful for my customers . Now all of a sudden it has became a policy violation ......:-(.

Now my dashboard shows that My policy compliance rate is very low ...Why just because my innovative idea promoted my business with ebay for mutual benifit for many years.

I love to do business at eBay , but now I am being forced to seriously look into other possible meanings to promote my business because you never know when you are doing a mistake . There is no human touch in your prevailing system .Your account managers can not do any reversals to comfort the sellers .

I know your customer suport have must some readymade answers for my problem & you are bound with a never ending list of ebay guidelines .

I suggest you to tag your current educational message on the top of this forum otherwise it will be lost in a few hours .
Best regards to all concerned.

Narinder
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Dear Seema ji,
How are you doing?

I will appreciate if you can clarify that even we sellers accept money by your mention method.

Are we sellers protected from unauthorized payment or have any seller protection? (Which being an eBay seller and receiving payment for eBay items should receive)

Please note that earlier there was an option of sending PayPal request for a eBay item and we used to get protection as the fund received was for eBay item.

But now the option of sending money request for eBay item had disappeared.

I hope for a quick response from you.

Best Regards,
Deep Agarwal.
Shree Krishna Gems

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hi Seema,

So if I generate a PayPal invoice and if the customer makes a payment to me via PayPal invoice, then will I be able to withdraw the money deposited into my PayPal account via direct bank transfer?

If not, then this information doesn't help to deal with the current crisis.

I am yet to receive a message from you as how can I withdraw the amount that is lying idle in my PayPal account since last 48 hours after being remitted back by PayPal.

Shall I do it via Check? Or I should still wait for an electronic transfer?

If I request the remittance via check then I anticipate that it would take at least 45 days for the money to be deposited into my bank a/c. (30 days for receiving the check and 15 days for the clearance. Looking to the pathetic service of PayPal, it may take even more)

Kind Regards,
Rashida
real.phoenix
Message 4 of 4
latest reply