Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing Initiatives of eBay India & its first ever TV ad

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
A Message from Rathin Lahiri...

Hi, I’m Rathin Lahiri, Chief Marketing Officer at eBay India. My team & I work towards bringing more buyers to the site, to ensure better sales. We also undertake special initiatives to add new sellers to the eBay India platform to ensure that a variety of products are available for our buyers.

I am here today to give you all an update on the various marketing initiatives aimed at increasing buyers on site and also to share with you very a special news.

Bringing Internet Users to eBay: Over the past one year, we continued to advertise aggressively on all the major portals and search engines. We are also reaching out to an enhanced user base via partnerships with language sites such as webdunia, social networking and blog sites.

Increasing presence in Cyber Café’s: Since 35% of India’s population accesses internet through cyber cafés, our partnership with Reliance World is enabling cybercafé users to buy online using the services of a Web Guide. For many people, this has allowed them to make theirfirst eCommerce transaction in a simple and convenient manner.

Generating trial through eBay gift vouchers: eBay Gift vouchers and integrated marketing programs such as ‘Get Lucky’ has helped us in successfully in converting first time users /visitors to buyers. We plan to continue and have more such programs in future.

Being in News: Did you know that every day, at least 7 articles about eBay India are published in our newspapers? While our team works closely on this, what makes eBay interesting for news folks is you, our community. A Big thank you to all our users who have taken time off to participate in various media initiatives. If you have any interesting story to share, don’t forget to write to us at mediacentre@ebay.com

Developing New Sellers: Over the past year, we have successfully piloted eBay Trading Post, where existing Power Sellers leverage their knowledge to acquire, develop and help new sellers grow their eBay business. We have also got more than 50 active brands selling on site.

We are however, extremely conscious that we have a long way to go to popularize online shopping in India. For long, many of you have highlighted the need to advertise in the mass medium. I am glad to announce that very soon you will see eBay India advertising in the mainline TV medium.

We will be launching a TV campaign soon which will endear eBay to both its users and non users and target 21-35 year olds from major metros. The communication objective is to build awareness of eBay India and position eBay as a vibrant and exciting shopping destination! We want to drive internet users to try out online shopping and do it on eBay! The entire look and feel of the ad is just like eBay - Vibrant , Exciting & Cool.

The ad is based on the consumer insight that each of us at some point has felt badly treated by a shopkeeper at some time or the other. We have all wanted an experience where one didn’t have to put ones self esteem on the line or feel guilty about asking a lower price. The ad addresses this feeling in the consumer’s mind.

We will be advertising in 12 channels for a period of 3 weeks starting November 28th on all major TV channels. We hope to communicate to the audience that online shopping is far more exciting, cooler and a smarter way to shop. We also tried to highlight eBay India’s unique offerings which are great deals & variety!

We hope this will drive in more eyeballs to the site and increase visitors. While you can catch this ad on TV channels, here is a special preview for you at www.ebay/ad. We will love to get your views on the ad. Feel free to discuss your comments on this thread by clicking on the post a reply button.

This campaign will also be supported by an onsite initiative to encourage buyers and Sanjay Varma from the User Engagement team will share more news on it shortly, so stay tuned!

Warm Regards,
Rathin Lahiri
Chief Marketing Officer – eBay India
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Congratulations!

Its a good start. We were waiting for it since a long item. Hope to see more and different themes in near future as suggested by co-sellers.

Regards,

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

ITS SIMPLY GREAT................
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
Atlast! Thanks eBay for advertising on TV. Its SUPERB! ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

akk854
Community Member
Hello eBayers !

It seems eBay is on a verge of getting good space in the Indian market. Its good for the sellers as we would get great amount of buyers coming up on eBay.

The TV Ads as well as the promotions at the Reliance WebWorld outlets would be fruitful for eBay.

Excellent !

But, eBay no longer wishes to allow new sellers to successfully sell on eBay and make good business as well as provide good profits to them.

My few colleagues had registered few weeks back and their accounts were permanently suspended with no reason mentioned. Hope, i would not be one of them. I am an importer of cellular mobile phones and can make good business and even provide good business to eBay.

I would appreciate if the eBay Customer Support as well the powersellers and the forefathers of eBay Selling community would help me with their experiences and guidelines.

Thanks,
Imran Ahmed
AlBasha Communications
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

runalaila_in1
Community Member
Toooooo Late ...
Forced by many competitors gaining enormous leverage ,
while the giant slept is the case 🙂 .

anyways i hope this helps.

the baazee theme if anyone remembers
was great and complemented the essence of Ebay
but i guess now the ecommerce scene has changed.

i just Dont see why auctions the FORTE of ebay has been ignored alltogether

Nevertheless something is better than nothing !!
of course yes ,,, i am increasing my listings 3 times :)
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

A good move ! Thanks & congratulations ! 🙂

Cheers
Meenu

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Dear Rathinda,
You are doing great job.
I have a request.Please use restraint when you unregister a buyer.We sellers take great pains to develop a good buyer.If they get unregistered ,it hurts you know.
One buyer took my 28 items.Then his brother met with an accident.He took a full month to pay for items.I did not file UPI.But he most unfortunately got unregistered.If I as a seller can wait,then you should also show patience.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

hema_mathi76
Community Member
Dear Rathin,

We are very sorry to inform you that thro' e-bay we entered into a sale of a playstation the bid got thro' and material was couried to Nigeria and finally the buyer absconded, no reply on payment. Now, she/he seems to have unregistered with e-bay.

This is ridiculous. Basically, when a buyer or seller entry into a deal, as long as the deal is completed in full i.e. until the payment is received nor the buyer or seller should be allowed to unregister. In case they try to do so they should be sued.

However, for your ready reference we are furnishing the case history. Pls try to help us.

Regards,

Mathi
mathivanan.s@prodapt.com
--------------------------------------

Roshan (e-bay),

Thank you for your response.

This is first time we have come across such an instance where the cheating has taken place royally and that too thro’ Bank of England. We have attached relevant mails to enable you to understand the case history.

Pls try and help us. Awaiting a positive reply.

Regards,

Mathi
+91-44-2857 7006 / 7100 / 6650 2222
+91-98408 84112

Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:04 AM
To: 'Vedant Jhaver'; 'reshma kanne'
Cc: 'Mathivanan.S'
Subject: RE: Congrats! eBay item ordered: Playstation 2 Used with 4 Paddles and 14 Games(Item #110176214964)

I just cleaned up and packed the stuff. Your friend got lucky – I found another 10 very good PS2 games… have included them in free….

Mathi – I am sending the box to you. Weight it and get the cost for fedexing to Nigeria, then coordinate and receive payment of Rs 18k+(cost of fedex) from Reshma and fedex it to her.

Vedant
-------------------------------------------------
Vedant Jhaver
Jhaver Group of Companies
Email: vedantj@jhavergroup.com
Voice: +91 44 2498 6622

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:56 PM
To: reshma kanne
Cc: Mathivanan.S
Subject: RE: Congrats! eBay item ordered: Playstation 2 Used with 4 Paddles and 14 Games(Item #110176214964)

OK.

I will ask Mathivanan from my office to coordinate. He will find out the cost of fedex-ing it to Nigeria (although I think it will be quite expensive given the weight)…

He will also coordinate with you to receive the money and send you the bank details.

So you will send in Rs 18k + cost of fedex, once he receives the money he will fedex it to your friend.
-------------------------------------------------
Vedant Jhaver
Jhaver Group of Companies
Email: vedantj@jhavergroup.com
Voice: +91 44 2498 6622

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:29 PM
To: vjhaver@prodapt.com
Subject: Congrats! eBay item ordered: Playstation 2 Used with 4 Paddles and 14 Games(Item #110176214964)

Hello,
I am the winner buyer of this item,i am not in india i am now in London I want to send the item to my friend in Nigeria as a gift.what I need from you,I want you to send me the total cost of everything both the shipping cost to Nigeria through fedex or dhl and i also want you to send me your banking detail in other for me to transfer the money into your account at once.this are the recivers address below.

urieto A Junior
No 21b Lawani Street,
New Benin Benin City,
Edo State Nigeria 23452
Phone:+2348058768039
Banking Detail

Account Name:.............
Account Number:............
Bank Name:...............
Bank Adress:............

Best regards
Mr Reshma. John

endofitem@ebay.in wrote:

eBay sent this message to reshma kanne ( reshma.kanne22 ).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Congratulations! You have successfully ordered an item!

Dear reshma.kanne22,

You have ordered an item from vedant.jhaver. Please review your order details below.

Your next step: Send a Demand Draft payment to the seller's address

Vedant Jhaver
46 Kasturi Rangan Road
Chennai - 600018
TN

Seller Contact Details - Tel : 9840040510 email : vjhaver@prodapt.com

Order details for Item #110176214964
Item Title:
Playstation 2 Used with 4 Paddles and 14 Games

Seller:
vedant.jhaver( 0)
Quantity Ordered Item Price Sub-Total
1 Rs.18,000.00 Rs. 18,000.00

Shipping Cost Rs. 200.00
Shipping Insurance (Not Offered)
---
Selected payment method: Demand Draft
Total Rs. 18,200.00

Selected shipping method: Flat Rate Courier - Delivery anywhere in India

The seller will deliver the item to the following address

reshma kanne
231-456/1A
medha nager
warangal-500876
AP
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

creative_pursuits
Community Member
Hey The ADS are COOL!!!

But surely it lacks the different plus points of shopping on ebay like EMI,1 Rupee auctions etc...These things need to be highlighted so that the ads are a Real success.

Also i agree with the opinion of Krishnaindia who has rightly pointed the disjoint between the two events..laughing and then entering the ebay shop...And ofcourse the reason for the laugh!!! The viewer will understand the ad only after viewing it 2 to 3 times which means the effect of the ad on the audience wud also be delayed!

I can visualize an effective ad which wud be sumthing like this.....The ad starts with a person who is really gloomy and sort of very dull and dissapointed. ...when his friend(carrying a Laptop)comes to him and asks him the reason.The sad guy tells him how he was the victim of embarassment at a local shop when he politely asked for sum discount..The friend says he has a solution and there he opens his laptop and explains what ebay has to offer...one ruppe auctions,EMI schemes,Best offer Bargains...etc etc...And thats not all...He also higlights that where a Local shop can offer limited variety of specified items,Ebay has everything ...U can buy anything u want here...because there are Innumerable variety of items and the best part is if u dont find a product here,u can also post a Want it now and will get replies and options from all across the world"

And the punch line...Duniya kahaan se kahaan nikal gayi hai...and hum aaj bhi wahi ke wahin???Jaago..yeh e-commerce ki duniya hai....sumthing like that u know....I know it might sound very heavy and also Funny to a few ppl!!! But thats a Framework for an ideal ad which i visualize and given the framework i am sure admakers can do a wonderful job taking into considerations the various other constraints like ad time,cost etc etc...

But I am sure the Present ads wud also work...and am happy about the TV ads.

Congratulations Ebay and Thanx a ton

Cheers
Mala
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

stylish_goods_co
Community Member
Its wonderful that there is now an eBay TV AD which is surely going to draw (hopefully) many more buyers to the platform. I found the Ads to be amusing....and I appreciate your efforts. However, I feel that eBay is trying to compete with bog-standard ecommerce sites and not working with its strengths. The television adverts don't mention anything about Auctions. Once landing on the ebay website.....there is no mention that when paying through PaisaPay, buyers are guaranteed to receive their goods within 7 days or their money back etc......that would be a huge draw and confidence builder.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply