SMS process and Do not disturb

I tried to bu an item and it tells me, "This seller has set buyer requirements for this item and only sells to buyers who meet those requirements.

You are unable to buy this item because:
You haven't gone through the SMS process. To buy the item you selected, please complete the SMS process"

I read some other posts here and understand that this may be because i am a zero feedback buyer and seller wants me to be verified by SMS.

But i want to understand more about what is SMS process and how does it exactly work?? I don't want to be spammed on my mobile with promos and offers and have my mobile number sold to marketing agencies.

I am sure ebay itself has some DND mechanism, but once seller gets my mobile, it is out of ebay's hands to control what he'll do with the information.

Maybe i am making a lot of wrong assumptions here, that is why i want to know more about this SMS process thing.

Thanks.
-- Signature: I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

spl_ind
Community Member
eBay will never sell your personal details to anyone. SMS verification is done to restrict fake buyers with multiple accounts.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

When I give my cell number, it says the number is used by some other account. I dont have another account on eBay and I am not sure if someone else has updated his profile with my number. I want to be able to the phone number. How can this be done.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

linusstudios
Community Member
Hi, Just need to put forward a Seller's views to this topic.

Till a few days back I was selling a lot of items in Auction Format. The format is wonderful but as all good things it has some negatives which come along. Buyers do not pay after winning auctions. And when you try to contact them Either they dont provide a mobile number or they provide a wrong/Non working number. I had a non paying buyer , I tried calling him/her and I rang up Rotary club, Bangalore. Another fellow had given mobile number of a lady, courtesy which I had to take in a lot of S#!| .

I had suggested it long Back that this SMS verification thing should be implemented. Thank god it is now...

To Buyers who are facing problem with it. It's just a small formality you will have to undergo. It hardly takes a minute. And you need not worry at all about Your mobile being spammed. E-Bay respects privacy and will certainly not do it. About seller spamming, Seller will call/message you a couple of time if you wont pay for the item. Thats it, Its just a mode of communication. Anyways you will have to provide your mobile number once you purchase any item for courier service so why not provide it early.

And If your number is not being accepted it may be because of some technical glitch(unless you are registering multiple accounts) and I will advise you to contact E-Bay customer support.

Seller making his/her number available 24 Hours to customers sacrifices a big chunk of his personal life. No doubt it is necessity of the business. But Buyers if also provide their working numbers will definitely add a lot value to the community.

Regards,
Linus Studios
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

manoj2332
Community Member
Please clarify the process of sms verification.....
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

spl_ind
Community Member
SMS Verification is a very simple process. You enter your mobile number on ebay. eBay sends you an SMS containing a 4 digit code. Look at the code and type the same on ebay. That's it. Done. You are now verified.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi.where will i enter my mobile number...i cant find any options in my ebay page
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Where I enter my mobile number???
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Same issue...You have not gone through SMS process...What are they expecting really bad
Message 9 of 9
latest reply