International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

amolw
Community Member
hello, does anyone here bought Apple iPhone from ebay.com USA? If Yes, then how much custom duties you paid?
Message 51 of 98
latest reply

amolw
Community Member
If I buy a used iphone from ebay.com USA for $250 , then how much would be the custom duty for it?
Message 52 of 98
latest reply

madmahesh2009
Community Member
Hi dhani2u have you received your item?I have still not received mine.If you have received it kindly share the info.

Regarding customs if you are lucky you do not need to pay any customs.But if they impose duties it may vary from 20 - 40% for watches iphones etc.,

I have received so many watches without paying customs and for some i have paid from 12% - 40%.

And regarding the iphone i paid 40$(FedEx) towards customs taxes but marked the value as only 100$.

If you have mentioned the value of iphone to be 250$ you have chances of being levied 0 - 100$ as tax and definitely not more than that i hope.
Message 53 of 98
latest reply

shaurya.1987
Community Member
I have just purchased a mobile from HONGKONG.N*).
Will it reach india Hassle free.
I am pretty worried as i have purchased it for the first time through ebay.
Message 54 of 98
latest reply

madmahesh2009
Community Member
Hi my Blackberry Storm2 sent on Dec 6th has not arrived yet.After doing some research i found some useful as well as horror stories from various users who have bought mobile phone from the foreign using USPS or EMS.

Normally if the phone is declared true value and marked as gift or for personal use it must reach you with the option of paying the customs duties(13.73% - 40%) to the post man and you will receive it.

In case you do not receive it for a long time say 1 or 2 months even then there are two possibilities.

1.Hamara hindustaani postal department or customs dept workers have looted your parcel.

2.It is seized by the customs in which case you must receive a letter (no wonder some letters would reach a quarter century later making your name appear in newspaper and making you famous ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).In that case you will have provide proof that you have imported it for your personal use only and you must provide them a valid invoice regarding the true value.Some say you can appoint a customs house agent to grease the hands of the customs officials to release the parcel without much formalities like writing letters.The parcel will be released with added duties and penalties for mis-representation of the value and you will have to pay the money to the post man and receive the parcel.

If you are lucky enough to get through the second step (in the case if your parcel is seized by customs) go ahead and contact a customs house agent to release the parcel.They levy you a small fees.

I hope this information has been useful.
Message 55 of 98
latest reply

vipsuprime2009
Community Member
HELLO FRIEND PLEASE GIVE ME ANSWER.

I PURCHASED ONE WEB CAMERA THROUGH EBAY CHINA SALER.

I AM FROM INDIA AND THAT SALER TELL ME THAT I MUST PAY CUSTOM CHARGE. THEN WHAT IS CUSTOM ARE WILL APPLICABLE IN THIS PRODUCT.

THAT PRODUCT PRICE IS $5.88 SO WHAT IS REAL CUSTOM CHARGE OR ITS FREE?

PLEASE GIVE ME ANSWER
Message 56 of 98
latest reply

devdjana3
Community Member
HI all,
Well i live in mumbai an new to Ebay buying, have liked a few goods and wondering about Custom duty stuff,FINALLY AFTER ALL DISCUSSIONS HERE AND YOUR BUYERS EXPERIENCE CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT CUSTOM DUTY ON GOODS BROUGHT FROM OTHER CONTRIES, OR ITS JUST OUR LUCK? Thanks
Message 57 of 98
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear All,

This is Sushant here and I manage the Global EasyBuy service from eBay India.

Noticed quite some queries around ordering items from other countries (through eBay.com and other eBay sites).

While one if able to find items on other eBay sites (especially eBay.com) that are shipped to India, concerns around time taken to receive the item, custom clearances and other bottlenecks have meant that you have not been able to get your hands on that attractive deal or hard-to-find item.

And it was exactly to alleviate this pain-point of our buyers that we launched the Global EasyBuy service. When you buy on Global EasyBuy, you

a. Pay one single price that includes the cost of the item, cost of shipping, customs, and all other processing fees you might have to otherwise deal with individually,
b. Pay in Indian Rupees using PaisaPay and not be bothered about using your credit card to make payment in foreign currencies,
c. Get assured delivery at your door-step
d. Are protected by the eBay Buyer Protection program

What's more, there are close to 18 million items available for your purchase right away on www.globaleasybuy.com!

Hope that helps. For any queries on GEB, feel free to reach out to me at sushant@ebay.com

Cheers!
Sushant
Message 58 of 98
latest reply

shreyansh0290
Community Member
i am planning on buying a ps3 game from ebay.com and i dont know if its under the global easy buy thing..the seller ships it worldwide and is under the ebay buyer protection scheme also..so i want to know if i will have to pay customs for the game in india or not...it will be shipped from UK...
Message 59 of 98
latest reply

ravikant2009
Community Member
if today I purchase 100 doller goods from ebay.com usa how i calculate this in indian rupees
Message 60 of 98
latest reply