cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chinese Mobiles, Fake IMEI Numbers, Genuine IMEI Implantation

pareshwins
Community Member
Hi,

Many Chinese Mobile phones have fake IMEI number and as per directive of DOT, these will stop working after Nov. 30th.

Refer:

>http://www.dot.gov.in/as/2008/Requirements%20for%20Natilonal%20Security_10.10.08.pdf

So the BAD NEWS is many chinese phones will stop working after Nov.30.

However the good news is that GSM Association (GSMA) have found a way around the fake IMEI number problem. Users can get a genuine IMEI number implanted on their Chinese mobile phone including the i9 phone for a low fee of Rs.199/-

For more information on IMEI number implantation, please visit the following link:

http://www.msai.in/gii.html

You can get a list of GII (Genuine IMEI Implant)center click here:

http://www.msai.in/listofcentre.php

Paresh
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

All mobiles coming in india as told by sachin has a unique imei no.

i agree with sachin
Message 11 of 37
latest reply

pareshwins
Community Member
Dear Yogen and Sachin,

Instead of burring your head in the sand. Please post IMEI numbers of the i9 phones you have in stock on this thread.

Let a third party try can check these IMEI numbers.

Yes, I know you both and some other sellers claim from rooftops we have genuine IMEI numbers and double money back, etc.

However this thread is not about this. This thread is about the fact there is a problem, otherwise GII centers would not have been formed. The problem is near. And yes the solution is available for as less as Rs.199/-

Lets work together in giving buyers a good shopping experience.

---------------

Pareshwins
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Unique IMEI nos and IMEI nos are two different things. Unique IMEI nos is that nos which has not been used by any manufacturer ever, anywhere in the world, however old the handset is.

I completely disagree that all handsets in India have unique IMEI nos. Paresh's example is correct that the IMEI nos is invalid, even sometimes you will get a Nokia or Motorola identification for a Chinese handset that does not mean that it is correct.

As far as updation of new handset IMEI nos is concerned that is also incorrect because no manufacturer can release the set in market without first getting the IMEI allocated to that particular brand and series of handset.

Only and only if your hand set make and model is being correctly identified then only the IMEI nos is valid otherwise it is not. The same stands true for CDMA handsets.

****************************** Regards.
Raj Electronics.
Message 13 of 37
latest reply

mobilesstores
Community Member
Paresh Bhai,

I would love to agree with you but economics dont work like that... Lets just wait till 30th november to see what happens. All sellers are keen to know what will happen, lets wait and watch.

The problem is more from nokias and samsung.. There sales have gone down the drain and they are creating more hype than the government agencies as well.

We have distributors in mumbai who have invested crores. Do you think they are stupid to invest in some trash which will not have imei.

I am telling you what is happening now.

The database of airtel and reliance is not updated. Any new imei they find which is not there in the database they are flagging as invalid.

When small companies like alfatel, sigmatel can have imei which you agreed upon.. imagine companies who are manufacturing sciphones and n19s and n21s...

Mobilesstores
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

pareshwins
Community Member
Hi Mobile store,

Why don't you just give a couple of IMEI numbers of the i9 phones you have in stock.

As I have said earlier the i9 phones are made by small factories which do not even have a brand name.

-----------

Pareshwins.
Message 15 of 37
latest reply

alright, to be frank, most of this discussion is too technical for the average buyer like myself who was freaked out when *#06# showed me a 17-digit IMEI number instead of 15-digits. So maybe this will help:

http://www.systemdisc.com/imei

Also, if you trust vodafone, then the cutoff date for invalid IMEI numbers is already past (30th June):

http://www.vodafone.in/existingusers/products/moreproducts/pages/gsmmobile_imei.aspx -- Signature: I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
-- Signature: I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

pareshwins
Community Member
Hi,

I started on this journey after one of my customers asked me the following question :

"Q: My wife has a i9+++ and she has got an SMS from AIRTEL that her IMEI no. is not valid and asked her to get a new IMEI no. from their customer centre for Rs. 199/- as her mobile will stop working from 30th Nov. I have contacted the seller about it. Now I am interested in buying this low cost but extremely useful mobile but I am worried about this IMEI no. problem. Can you guarantee a valid IMEI and stand by it when the problem arises?"

and I replied with the following:

A: Sir, If IMEI number is invalid, all it will cost you is rs.200/-. all mobile service operation are offering imei number implantation for a low cost of rs.200/- as per out knowledge, none of the i9 phones ever made have a valid imei number. All those claiming their phones have valid imei number are either ignorant fools or massive fraudsters.

This q & a is present on our listing -
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110456334616

I would love to be proven wrong.

-------------

Paresh
Message 17 of 37
latest reply

anwarazad
Community Member
I'm a telecom engineer by profession.

IMEI of cell phones from authentic authorized manufacturers has to be unique, internationally, hence the name 'International Mobile Equipment Identity' number.

With regards to IMEI, the term cell phone, is technology dependant. Meaning, a CDMA cell phone and a GSM cell phone may have the same IMEI. But never will two GSM cell phones or two CDMA cellphones have the same IMEI. Multiband cell phones, will share the same IMEI.

IMEI's of every cellphone brought into or manufactured in India by authentic manufacturers like Nokia, Motorola, and even chinese companies like Huawei has to be submitted to TRAI before they go into market. TRAI shares this database with the rest of the operators.

Every operator has a black(Unsafe), gray(Unknown) and white(Safe) list of IMEIs, which basically tells them which ones listed with them, which one isn't and which ones known to be invalid or stolen.

Usually, white and gray listed IMEI's work fine. But with increase in terrorist threats to India, TRAI has been asked\ordered to bar gray list IMEIs too.

This is good since authentic manufacturers won't be able to sell cellphones before the IMEI list is submitted to TRAI. Also this would be great, since IMEI can be used to track stolen cellphones.

The IMEI number is basically embedded in a chip within the cellphone. The service done for Rs.199 would be either to re-write the chip or replace it with a new IMEI.

The IMEI structure is basically simple:

come in a 17 digit or 15 digit sequences of numbers. The IMEI format currently utilized is AA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-D:

* AA: These two digits are for the Reporting Body Identifier, indicating the GSMA approved group that allocated the TAC (Type Allocation Code).
* BBBBBB: The remainder of the TAC
* CCCCCC: Serial sequence of the Model
* ๐Ÿ˜ง Luhn check digit of the entire model or 0 (This is an algorithm that validates the ID number)

Either way, it would be better for the chinese mobile sellers on ebay or offline to get the IMEI patching done themselves, and recover the fee from the buyers.

As for the ones who already own a chinese phone, they could wait until the deadline and see what happens. If the IMEI isn't genuine, they could just get it changed for Rs.199.

Just my 2 Pi.
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

mansoorkhan1
Community Member
Finally phones with and INVALID IMEI number is blocked.
So what the sellers has to say in this case where they keep advertising that they are selling phone only with valid IMEI number and if it is found to be invalid then 100% refund will be done by seller.
How many seller have done any kind of refund.
My phone is blocked because of invalid IMEI number and seller is also not responding in this case.
Yes i can implant a valid IMEI number just by paying few hundred rupees, but this is not the matter of paying few hundred extra for valid IMEI,this is where a seller cheat thousands of buyer by giving them false promise.
I purchased phone from game_mastr, based in chennai.
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

mobilesstores
Community Member
Sir,

Even we are surprised on this blocking of numbers. Some brand of mobiles are working and some are not.

However we are very much sticking to our promise of paying the amount for gettting the imei implanted.

I have already refunded more than 10 buyers and in the process also paying up for imei implant of some who like and want to keep the phone.

So accusing poor sellers is unjustified.

Thanks,
Mobilesstores
Message 20 of 37
latest reply