Beware of buyers from "NIGERIA"

rgupta3
Community Member
Folks, there is a real scam out there on eBay India. Any item, especially high value electronics like laptops, are bought by buyers with email addresses listed in UK, US or even Singapore.

Then they send you a fake email, possibly from Western Union, with details saying that the buyer has sent the payment using Western Union money order, which will be released only when the seller, that is you, ship the items and provide the tracking number to Western Union.

PLEASE DO NOT ENTERTAIN ANY REQUESTS TO SHIP THE ITEMS BEFORE GETTING THE MONEY IN YOUR HAND.

Some of the ways you can verify if the buyer is fake and criminal -

(1) Buyer buys the item using 'Buy-it now' feature.

(2) Buyer agrees to pay more money than listed in your item, including exhorbitant amount for shipping.

(3) Buyer communicates to pay using Western Union - THIS IS THE LAST NAIL.

(4) Buyer's shipping address is some where in Nigeria or any other African country.

(5) Buyer is no more a registered member of eBay.

Please be careful else you risk losing your item, without getting paid even a single paise. And eBay would not help you in any way.

I am writing all this as I experienced it all first hand, but saved myself from the agony.

Take it easy and happy selling.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

posting.id.in
Community Member
Hey sastaitshop,

Since you have a direct line to Avnish Bajaj, I fail to understand why you id is still suspended.

You must have done something really bad that even Avnish cannot help.

Can you tell us what kinds of bad acts did you do?
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

roshan4015
Community Member
Yes this is here and happening, every one should take care and make your self a little cleaver
About this, try to search why he is offering money more then we listed? This is the first thing to think, second tell him to send money via cheque or draft, and third tell him to go online.
I am sure he will refuse all above thing and if he is real he will accept your proposal.

He will insist you to receive a mail from “bid pay” that will make him no one fraud.

Over all the first thing he or she will tell you they are from u.k. or u.s.a and having a store in Africa thay want to ship item there .

Take care
roshan
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

kjeswal
Community Member
I am also trying to sell my laptop on ebay since last 3 months and quite frustrated with the process on ebay.

Every item my item bided and sold to fake buyers. Max. time these Nigerian buyers.

I clearly indicated in my listing multiple times, I will not ship this item to anywhere do not bid for shipping. This is just pick and pay. But despite all every time buyer want to ship it to Nigeria etc.

The major problem I am losing money on laptop due to being highly depreciated item and ebay charging every time for featured listing.

eBay has already billed me for all (not the selling value charges) featured listing charges. This way ebay is getting some money and we are getting frustration and losing money on item value.

So this indication for me or other high value item sellers stop selling on eBay.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

prashantsane_sane
Community Member
Hi This is Prashant. I also register on Ebay to sell my Mobile on 15th October, 2005. And on the same day I caught one seller, and his registered address is of Bangalore on Ebay and he is informing me to send the item to Nigeria directly to his friend. If those buyers are not registered on Ebay then how Ebay is showing into our a/c that the product is sold and awaiting for payment. 😞 If it is online service then Ebay must come to know that the item on real condition not sold and they should continue to display those items on their site till listing period not end. Now I don't know what to do in this regards. Hope Ebay will find out the way to tackle with this issue.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

sanjay-k
Community Member
Stop worrying about Nigerian Frauds. There is nothing you can do about it because it is actually a fraud by Ebay to cheat sellers out of listing fees
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

sastaitshop
Community Member
Dear Posting ..

Referring to your earlier post here ...

I was referring to the Open House Discussion in whcih the Country Manager had assured some new method to tackle nigerian bidders which is not active.

Hope you would be workign more towards the community values instead of your rubbish as always ...

Regards :) Sunny 🙂

Age and knowledge don't always come together. Sometimes you just get the age...
!!sAsTaITsHop!!

:) Sunny 🙂
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

sastaitshop
Community Member
And just for the records .. SASTAITSHOp is and was never suspended ... regards :) Sunny 🙂

Age and knowledge don't always come together. Sometimes you just get the age...
!!sAsTaITsHop!!

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

truedealindia
Community Member
Hi Friends,
Thanks a lot for saving my mobile as i put on Buy it Now and i got this buyer and sent me an email i should this to nigeria and he send me money via moneyorder.now i'll not be sending the item and will contact to ebay about relisting my mobile.

Thanks a lot...happy selling
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

sastaitshop
Community Member
Nice to know that.

Hope all new sellers refer to community boards for such a good experience. !!sAsTaITsHop!!

!!sAsTaITsHop!!

Message 19 of 19
latest reply