cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MEMORY PROBLEM IN CHINESE MP4 PLAYERS

pv_itrade
Community Member
Hello fellow buyers!

Many of you like me would have bought these mp4 players and later found out there is inadequate memory and many of you would have got format error. It is nothing but we were not clearly informed about the memory and we all have been cheated. A 2 GB mp4 player is not a 2 gigabyte player but a 2 gigabit player. 8 bits is equal to 1 byte and 1024 byte is equal to 1 megabyte and 1024 megabyte is equal to 1 gigabyte or 1 GB. But 1 gb chinese mp4 player will have 1 gigabit memory which mean 1024 x 1024 bits. If you want to convert 1 gigabit to megabyte 1024 x 1024 divide by 1024 x 8 you will get 128 megabyte or 128 mb which is the real physical memory inside the player. So if you want to know the real memory inside these players go to the "system" menu go to "memory" find out what is given there. Say for example if you have 2 gb mp4 player you will see something like 2015 mb which is not 2015 megabytes but is 2015 megabit, divide 2015 by 8 which comes around 251 megabytes or 251 mb which is the real memory. So the real memory inside the chinese mp4 players will be as follows

1 gb player will have 128 megabyte or 128 mb memory
2 gb player will have 256 megabyte or 256 mb memory
4 gb player will have 512 megabyte or 512 mb memory

So the memory is not inflated or deflated but we are not clearly informed about the memory which means cheating. A friend of mine who is a lawyer is going to initiate legal proceedings in the supreme court against ebay for allowing fraud sellers like these who sell fake products and cheat people. I want to see these people behind bars as soon as possible. Go for the original and branded ones like apple ipod or creative or iriver something like that and avoid the cheap chinese products.

When the mp4 player is initially connected to the computer, the computer will interpret the memory size wrongly. For example if you connect a 2 gb mp4 player the firmware will show the memory size as 2015 m which the computer interprets as 2015 megabyte or 1.96 gb because it will see 2015 m as 2015 megabyte but it is actually 2015 megabit. It will not show 2 gb because some memory will be taken up by the firmware. But once you format the player in the computer, it will show the real memory size. That's the reason why you people get low memory once you format it and the sellers will tell don't format the player.
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

snrama
Community Member
Hi,

This has been discused earlier. I think sellers will stop selling unbranded chinese products. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

straybits
Community Member
Those sellers modified firmware to show false values, and fact that PC recognizes advertise values in "Bytes" because of those change is a good indication of their intentions to deceit.

There are some cases reported that one advertised as 4GB being 1GB in reality. That does not fit "1 byte = 8 bit excuse'. It should be 512MB, if it was 'mistaken'. (Well, there's no 4GB model in S1 MP3 or so called Chinese MP4 player as of Nov 06 that I know of.).

It is a common understanding that lower case 'b' is used in for the bits, and upper case 'B' is used for Bytes.
So, if the seller advertised the memory size as x GB, it is hard to argue that the ad ment Gb.

For case of gb, SI prefix giga is usually noted with uppercase 'G', and interpretations of 'gb' can vary...
It could mean anything, but it does not take too much to see most of the buyers take it as 'GB'.

anyway, for the cases of those advertised as xGB and ended up with something short of it, file a complaint with eBay.
So far, the talk of S1 MP3 player enthusiasts is that eBay don't do s#!t about this, but file that anyway.
PayPal, an eBay Company (LOL), will help you as good as eBay does. Your best bet is to contest it against your credit card, if you have used credit card.

Lesson learned. Paypal does not protect you from frouds that well.
Harsh, but a good lesson.
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

I know some sellers who themselves do not understand that these chinese products are meant for cheating. I think the time is ripe that we should collectively boycott all such chinese products. They are toying with our hard earned money. Such complains have become a regular feature on the board.

I request ebay.in to launch a campaign against such cheating with low quality chinese products. They can at least give the buyers and sellers, intending to bid / list such items, a caution that unless they are careful they will end up losing money. .
Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

lavonnamay
Community Member
I bought 6 of these fake mp4 player for kids for x-mas and i was very disappointed to found out they were fake, I bought them from 2 different ebayers and I have received my money back on one of them and I am sure i will with the other 5, I had to fill with paypal and they did a great job, both the ebayers are still selling this products, their names are:

modelismplus
refunded

powersellerturbo

well get refund I am sure

LavonnaMay
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

roux2003
Community Member
Hello to all of you,

I too got fooled by a Chinese MP4 Player announce as 2GB, and read captial GB witch has always meant Giga Byte" and Byte stands for 7 bits (8b)but finally has only 1GB.

curiously, now, after christmas, the ebay "powerSeller", PremiumWholeSale, has no more items available from his store. Just looks like we've all been totally ripped off.

From now on, no more unbranded items for me. And please to all of you stop encouraging buying those more probable fraudulous chinese products.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

ersan_turk
Community Member
If these guys are still on e-bay and still selling the same products after so many reports, I really cannot count on e-bay anymore. What a pitty!
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

mandibulat
Community Member
Hi.. I just came across your board. I was searching for a fix to my S1MP3 player. I bought it on my trip to Hong Kong on the electronics street market. The woman showed me the menu indicating the 4096MB.. When I arrived home and was ready to use it, I found out it was not 4GB, but 256MB (after formatting) (not even, OS takes 20MB, so I'm left with 230MB). Just so you know, the cheat comes straight from factory.. the sellers are not serious enough to tell the truth.
S1MP3 with MP4 capability.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

renysouto
Community Member
I did buy too. The seller is false :e-britain

CASE 4GB MP4/MP3 MTV player Speaker FREE SHIPPING F54
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=2500...
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

i_win_therefore_i_pay
Community Member
Unfortunately, many items from China are fakes and of poor quality.

If the item you purchased is not as described, you should report it here:

http://pages.ebay.in/help/policies/inr-snad-policy.html
Message 10 of 22
latest reply