Buying thru ebay.com

adarsh2204
Community Member
I interested in buying a watch costing around US $ 120 from ebay.com the seller is based in US can this be imported to india and would there be any custom duty and how will it be paid ?
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Buying thru ebay.com

snrama
Community Member
Dear adarsh2204,

Yes, you can make a purchase from eBay.com by credit card.
I don't know much on custom duty! ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

I don't think such low value item will be subjected to any Customs Duty. I have purchased and received items worth about US$100 from US recently, without any hassles.

When anyone returns from a very short (less than 3-4 days) foreign trip ( excluding a few neighbouring countries), they are allowed to import items worth Rs.12000 (+ some scheduled items) free of any Customs Duty. The limit increases with the duration of the stay. So I think the max. limit for free customs duty in this case should not be less than Rs.12000. .
Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

puneetsmart
Community Member
hello
i bid for a watch
and i won but after sending the payment i recieved the
watch which is not properly working,i mailed the seller about it but didnot recieved his reply. please help me !!
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

kathiesklown1970
Community Member
Our Postal Service has this listed for customs Prohibitions to India:

Coins; banknotes; currency notes; traveler's checks; securities payable to bearer; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.

1. Coins; banknotes; currency notes, including paper money; securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler's checks; platinum, gold, and silver; precious stones; jewelry; watches; and other valuable articles are prohibited in EMS shipments to India.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/immicl/immiclhk_006.html

It cannot be shipped to you, customs will seize the item with the chance of the seller never receiving it back & the item being destroyed. .

Kathie
Kathie
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

The maximum customs charges you will have to pay on this item will be 12% plus state taxes around 2%. Ask your seller to send the item with proper invoices including shipping charges. But the value of the item is so less that 99% of the time customs people would not want to bother with it.

If the item is shipped via USPS, Indian post will receive it and if they think it is a dutiable item,they will calculate the charges after reviewing the invoice by the seller. You can go to your nearest International Clearance office ( usually GPO in your area) and pay for the item and postman will deliver it next day.

If the seller is sending it by courier, usually couriers clear the item at customs and charge you when they deliver it to you.
Unlike some others mentioned here, there is absolutely no problem in importing stuff for your personal use as long as you pay the duties
For further information checkout http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/excise/cx-tariff0506/cxt0506-idx.htm
Onesimpleman
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

snrama
Community Member
Hi onesimpleman_in1,

Well done & Thanks for the clear information. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

adarsh2204
Community Member
Thank you all for the information. It has been a great help.
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

kathiesklown1970
Community Member
What are you going to do when that watch gets seized if the seller lists it as a watch on the customs form? Not really fair for the seller to lose the money for a refund & have the item seized & not returned.

Are you going to tell the seller so they are not losing it? If they send it UPS or Fedex it may get to you but there are Brokerage Fee's that you will have to pay beyond the customs duty & taxes with these shipping companies & the buyer is responsible for them. .

Kathie
Kathie
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Buying thru ebay.com

adarsh2204
Community Member
Well I got my watch today wihout any hassels it took a week for it to reach me it came by USPS
Message 10 of 29
latest reply