cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling Jewelry to International Market through Ebay

karmajewels
Community Member
It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to sell any jewelry item - Silver/Gold or gemstone studded from any part of Gujarat through Ebay to International Market.

If I want to sell and item of Rs 50 to USA, these are the problems:

We assume that the seller has a Import Export code number and can receive payment easily from the overseas buyer!

One cannot LEGALY ship Silver/Gold/Gemstone from any post office of Gujarat, it is banned as per Navrangpura,Ahmedabad Post Office staff, The International Post office at Shahibaug Ahmedabad inturn says to confirm with other post office.

So we need to send it through courier, All Silver and Gold articles are compulsory to be Custom Cleared from India by law.

Only UPS/ Fedex couriers are authorised to carry Silver, for Gold Fedex/ or Air Cargo or Brinks Arya could carry it, their rates are even higher.

If we ship through UPS or Fededx (forget Air cargo) this are the charges:

Minimum Rs 800 for Custom Clearance to the clearing Agent for a single parcel (Immaterial of the amount of the item is)

Minimum Rs 1200 or more for 500 grams. (By UPS couriers)
Compulsory Insuarance let us consider Rs 0.50 for an peice of Rs 50 of silver jewelry.

A Valuation report is compulsory to attach for custom clearance : Minimum Rs 250

This comes out to Rs 2250.50 for custom clearance, valuation report , Insuarance and Courier Charge.

So If someone sells an item of Silver worth Rs 50 (approx US$ 1.13) he has to mention the shipping cost of Rs 2250.50 (US$ 51.2) !!!!

How many takers for a silver peice of $ 1.13 but pay $ 51.2 for shipping?!?

The same peice is easily shipped by Jaipur or Mumbai International Post Office. The Post office Charges Rs 425 for 500 grams, you need to appoint a clearing agent who would charge Rs 800, add Valuation Report Charge: Rs 250
Total shipping cost for a piece of silver: Rs 1475 (US$ 33.5)
Still more though quite less than shipped from Gujarat.

Does it make sense to sell inexpensive Silver Jewelry from India through ebay where sellers on Ebay USA already sell peices at $ 2, $ 3 and so on? with shipping costs $ 4, $ 5 so on!!!!????
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

essech
Community Member
Sounds pretty discoraging. Would other friends please join in and dispell our fears. I thought SpeedPost shipped silver jewellery pieces of small value at much lower fee and no hassles.
Essech
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

karmajewels
Community Member
Still there is no reply from Ebay!!! Please solve our problem of shipping Jewelry through Post

Thanks
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

anmol_kreations
Community Member
Dear Co-Merchant,

Well it's SAD to HEAR that you are GETTING MISSGUIDED by the Postal Offices. The BEST IS TO GO IN THE GPO of your CITY and check that they should be having a Foreign Postal service office as well.

Or you can also speak to the BDO ( Business Develepment Officer ) of the GPO....

Coming to the POint of the EXPORTING GEMS and JEWELRY, INDIAN FOREIGN POSTAL SERVICES ( SPEED POST in the FOREIGN POST DEPARTMENT ) is the ONLY and the BEST WAY TO EXPORT. MAXIMUM EXPORTS FROM INDIA are routed thru this CHANNEL.

Moreover, for Shipping SILVER JEWELRY NO Purity certificate is needed, as in GOLD. The certificate cost is definitelt 200 - 250, for the GOLD PURITY TEST, but then this is VALID for any Number of Jewelry in one Particular INVOICE. Meaning, if you are selling 5 GOLD ITEMS : RINGS, Pendants, Earrings etc...therefore you will make 1 INVOICE to EXPORT, then the charges for thetesting certificate to be produced under the custom clearance, is charged ONLY ONCE Rs.200 - 250.

You can yourself get the Procedures done, to save the additional cost of the AGENT, to begin with, This should take you 1 - 2 hours depending upon the Infrastructuire of the GPO > FOREIGN POSTAL SERVICES OFFICE, but once you are accustomed, then it shall ONLY TAKE you around 30 MIN. as it takes US / AGENT. Agenst anyways TAKE Rs.400 - 500 here in JAIPUR.

Hope that we have contributed a bit. Do, visit the Offices in this WAY and you shall soon be confortable shipping INTERNATIONAL.

Do revert incase of any further assistances..

The CYBERWIZ

TARUN KHANDELWAL

ANMOL KREATIONS

ANMOL SPARKYS
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

tishasiler
Community Member
As I am from Memphis, TN (the FedEx hub)and used to work for them, I am aware of a few things regarding FedEx most aren't. 1) you can avoid most of these shipping problems getting a business account directly with FedEx. Here is a direct link http://www.fedex.com/us/ Keep in mind though it may take more effort to get your account in the USA instead of in India, that the problems it will solve for you may be worth it. 2) International FedEx sites (though owned by FedEx technically)are governed by the countries laws. Getting your account directly from fedEx USA over rides some of the issues that are put forth by these government policies. 3) Depending on the country, FedEx offers shipping packages that not only included the shipping supplies, but also fact sheets for international shipping and customs sheets for the USA (upon request) 4) When you open a business account with FedEx you have an account rep who will help you with some of the shipping issues you are facing, and can often help to overcome them.

I hope this points you in the right direction to solving your problem. As I am currently trying to enter into the international realm on eBay myself, I am willing to help you further if I can... and would appreciate any knowledge of your markets needs. reliable & honest international "friends" can be profitable for everyone.
-Tisha
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

sudip_94rkc
Community Member
I want sell something in the international market through ebay. What are the processes Ihave to follow ?
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

ashokalgude
Community Member
recently I enquired with GPO bangalore, and other courier none are deal with gold. ups will only if you are member of GJEPC.and legal exporter.

let me know how to deal in global jewellery market.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

designer*ave
Community Member
I am in the USA and will store your merchandise and ship your ebay orders within the USA. Here is my classified ad about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360376964552&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

designer*ave
Community Member
I am in the USA and will store your merchandise and ship your ebay orders within the USA. Here is my classified ad about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360376964552&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Message 9 of 9
latest reply