cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FAQs for International Selling - Clarification to all your questions

Dear all Sellers,

Recently, we had lot of problems associated with the withdrawal of the funds and fortunately, it is now resolved. On 9th March 2010, we had a Seller Meeting at
Ahmedabad which covered all the important aspects of selling internationally on eBay.

The meeting was conducted by Mr. Sainath Pai and Mr. Jinesh Joshi. They clarified everything that we need to know regarding international selling on eBay. I would
like to thank both of them for a great presentation and clearing all the doubts related to cross border selling.

Here are the clarifications of our long awaited questions:

How to ship the item?
From now onwards, in order to ship an item, it is advisable that we include an invoice along with the shipment. It should be a commercial shipment and not a
"gift" or a "free sample for promotion".

What if we still label it as gift or sample?
In that case, there may be an inquiry and at that time it would be difficult for us to prove that we are doing a legal business. So there should be a judicious use of "gift" or "samples". The government has restricted the use to INR15000.00 per year.

The item should be accompanied by a commercial invoice in which the true value of the shipment should be declared.

Is this export?
Yes, as per RBI, the single item cross border sale is a legal export if it is sold via proper channel. For this the seller must ship the item as a commercial item and not as a sample and they should include an invoice.

Is this legal?
Yes. RBI has accepted the single item export as a legal business and it is encouraging it. Like every new thing has some teething problems, we all (sellers, RBI and eBay) are passing through this stage and eventually this will evolve.

What to mention in the Custom Declaration Form?
Invoice Value. Commercial shipment.

What all records are required to be maintained by the seller now?
1. Purchase invoice
2. eBay Invoice copy given to the buyer
3. PayPal transaction details pertaining to the sale.
4. Proof of shipment.
Therefore, we need to keep a filed record of the above 4 things for each and every transaction that we do on eBay.

Is IEC mandatory for International Sellers?
Yes. Without IEC, our sales cannot be considered as a legal export.

Do we require separate FICRs?
No. We need 1 FICR per remittance from PayPal and not as per the transaction. For example, if I sell 100 items worth 2 Dollars and withdraw an amount of 200 from my PayPal account, then I will required 1 FICR for USD 200.00 and not 100 FICRs for $2.00 each.

Can we sell old coins, stamps, documents on eBay that are more than 100 year old to international buyers?
No. It is illegal to sell any collectible older than 100 years. This is punishable by law.

Wis you good luck for the new innings.

Kind Regards,
Mustufa
problems are opportunities
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

runalaila_in1
Community Member
Practical scenario
A seller ships an item putting full value.
The customs duty is almost same as the item price....
thereby the Buyer gets a huge surprise and refuses to take delivery.

Results :
(1) Courier destroys the parcel
(2)Buyer claims money with filing INR
(3)Buyer leaves a negative .

How will ebay help in such a scenario ????????????

B O D Y - - J E W E L S!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Hello Dear Real.Phoenix,
Thank you for being an active member of discussions & helping us out in export policies,but let me tell you one thing,that after all that you have mentioned,there are still certain important things to be cleared for
Especially for GEMSTONES & JEWELRY SELLERS:
1) If we put an invoice with the shipment & mention silver,gold,diamond or any gemstone name on the invoice,we will be prohibited to send it without getting a custom appraisal done through the custom department,which is actually not feasible for single lower value items lets say less than Rs.1000,because our custom clearing agent will charge min. Rs.500-Rs.800 for getting it appraised & making the required documents.

2) Secondly,if we mantain accounts for single items,how will our C.A or Accountants manage our transactions in different currencies,he will require conversion rates for every transaction,Secondly what about the USD 0.99 auctions in which our actual purchase amount will be more than the selling price,& the shipping cost will be more than the actual paid shipping.

3) Thirdly if we mention precious gemstones,loose gemstones,or diamonds & send through regd. post,it can be stolen right away.

I REQUEST ALL THE JEWELRY SELLERS OR EBAY PINK TO SEARCH FOR ANSWERS TO THESE QUERIES & REPLY US BACK SOON.

Thanks
Kisnajewels.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

if we will declare real value for UK / Canada / Europe parcels duty will be triple the amount declared ON INVOICE only a fool buyer will purchase items in this case ever from eBay or from India.

BUSINESS WILL BECOME ZERO AND ALL SELLERS WILL SEARCH FOR NEW JOBS.

is this solution ?

if in case buyers will refuse to pay duty

courier company will destroy the parcel or return the parcel back to seller at seller expense and seller will have to pay the duty amount that is triple the item cost to get the items back from courier company else they will either destroy the parcel or will detain the goods.

who will be responsible in this case ?

"Lord, I have done many things wrong. I am guilty, but to show your goodness, forgive me for everything I did. When people choose to follow the Lord, he shows them the best way to live.โ€
ยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Godยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Blessยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Usยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.Allยท:*ยจยจ*:ยท.
"Lord, I have done many things wrong. I am guilty, but to show your goodness, forgive me for everything I did. When people choose to follow the Lord, he shows them the best way to live.โ€
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

i hope we should stop using paypal now and look for other payment solution.

paisapay has no such issues while paypal is now like a nightmare.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi,
I tried that.Listed same type of items at eBay india.Same group of buyers took them.But they want PayPal invoice.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I am using both now - PaisaPay as well as PayPal.

For every 1 customer with PaisaPay, there are 25 customers with PayPal.

Foreign buyers don't understand PaisaPay. We have no choice but to use PayPal.
Message 16 of 16
latest reply