Custom Duty and Other tax

tinin1234
Community Member
Hello,
I'm from India i'm looking to get some products through ebay.

I would like to know few detail :

Assumption I : Actual Product cost 10000 INR
Assumption II : Got product for 1000 INR

Question : Custom and tax will be based on Assumption I or Assumption II.

Note : Since seller clearly mentioned :- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer responsibility.

Thanks and Regards,
Tinin
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Assumption III : Whatever the Custom Officer feels like at that moment, could be 100000 INR also. ;-) *************************
Regards.
Raj Electroniks.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

linusstudios
Community Member
Agree with you Raj!! It's like throwing a dice can be anything from 1 to 6.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

tinin1234
Community Member
But how can it depends upon custom officer, there should be some law
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hi,

One Customs officer needs to assess hunders of courier shipments in a day.

He will not have much time for every individual consignment. Normally he will assess his based on his prior knowledge of such products.

Usually it is on market price and not the price which the importer has bought it.

If the officer has some doubt about it, he googles for the price of the product and values accordingly.

But if it is just one peice, he will not waste so much time, maybe a few seconds or a couple of minutes max.

A courier company submits 10-15 parcels containted in one bag on the same sheet and if one is held for further evaluation, the whole bag will be held up. So no courier company is going to dispute the claim of the officer for one consignment and promptly pay the duty and recover the same from you.

-----------

Devesh
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The biggest joke is that always a commerce graduate officer will assess the duty for a some electronic or scientific equipment of which he knows nothing about.
Regards.
Raj Electroniks.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

nri_collection
Community Member
Great Joke Raj Elect.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

sour_42000
Community Member
Why would a courier service pay the customs for a package??
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

zbzfashionmart
Community Member
The Custom duty is depends on the custom officer knowledge and the invoice.So he can assume the duty and take the duty.

But if the sender mentioned the HS Code for the item then there may be a fix custom duty if applicable and custom officer clearly get the exact commodity information so it can give the idea of the duty so he will charge only the proper duty as per Law.

thanks.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply