cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powerseller sold used/fake/refurb drive with virus on it.

haxpak
Community Member
I bought a 4GB PNY micro pen drive from originalgoods

The drive had a virus which kaspersky detected and deleted on insertion. I later formatted the drive and it is working fine. Even the packing is different from the listing ( and he claims the packing to be the determining factor for fake drives in the listing )
The blister pack is NOT OF THE SEALED TYPE. It can be opened/closed at will without any visible signs.
I mentioned this in the feedback, and now he has replied that I am a fake buyer and it is fake feedback. What can one -ve feedback do to his score that I will go out of the way to give him a negative feedback ?
I request ebay to do justice. If this kind of action is allowed the power sellers will get away with selling fake items and buyers will not return after such bad experience

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180344786770
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

haxpak
Community Member
This is great. No one cares a bit what I am really trying to say.

SELLER MENTIONS IN LISTING TO CHECK PACKAGING. He mentions it himself. Then why won't I when it is mentioned explicitly.

I mentioned fake/used/refurb because these are the possibilities. I didn't want to say fake outright without proof.

Seller is lying when he said I didn't contact him. Now he says that I did contact him. He is confused on what to say. I contacted him approx 36 hours before leaving feedback.

My fight was, is, and shall remain against the inappropriate way that the seller has replied. He has called me fake buyer/fake feedback. It is against ebay rules to leave personal comments not backed by facts. My comments were factual while his reply didn't have any fact to back him up.

I now understand the fact that the community is pro seller irrespective of the merit of a case/complaint. What I have posted was factual, and derived from the seller's own listing in many ways to strengthen the argument. I have been able to establish a clear causal chain which is yet to be refuted while the veracity of the seller's claims is doubtful considering his shifting position.

For people who don't know me, I am not someone who ever posts anything without verifying the facts. I posted my doubts in this thread and also posted that the memory is ok and is not hacked. I also mentioned that my concern is that the seller may be sending fake/refurb/used drives and that he is posting false replies to genuine feedback. Had I complained to ebay about his reply and sent my proof to them his account would definitely have been suspended because of ebay TOS. I didn't do that because I thought it might have been a genuine mistake.

@UFO : Suppose I say that you are a fake id created by the seller without any proof or reason. Is it not unprovoked attack. Is it not a false claim which is not verifiable ?

@ others : People who think that I am someone with lots of free time and nothing to do, I would like everyone to know that I am doing my PGP from IIMK and won't do this for no rhyme nor reason.
I only brought my concern to public notice to help others and even the seller know that the drives may be used and are infected. Even the seller might not genuinely know about this and should take it up with the distributor in case the drive sent to me was absolutely unused.
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

haxpak
Community Member
I would like to mention, that I have already clarified that it's ok as long as my pen drive is not hacked. I only wanted the seller to remove the inappropriate remarks. As that is not going to happen and it's useless trying to present any facts here, I won't bother replying anymore. It is clear to me that in this fight of unequals, the bigger wins.

@ OG : It was never against you personally, just about your remarks which are totally false. Had I been a false buyer then I won't have wasted so much time of my life trying to get justice done. I hope you will realise what I mean and remove the inappropriate remarks yourself. If not, even then it is fine as it is your call and your conscience. None will remember this thread and my feedback/your remark except maybe you and I.

@ AK Aggarwal : Special thanks to you for posting a picture of the packaging. Helped me as I know that the drive is atleast genuine. Your replies were non critical and helpful in nature, exactly what is expected from good forums.

@ Raj Electronics : My gratitude for your constructive reply and trying to help me out with the possible infection.

--------------------Peace---------------
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

spl_ind
Community Member
Hi Everyone,

I want to share my experience with my pen drive.

When I bought my first Sandisk 2GB USB pen drive from Futurebazaar, I did not had a PC at home. I was a cyber cafe user at that time.

When I received the pen drive it was different from what they displayed on their site.

When I used it I too found two hidden files. One was autorun.ini and the other one I don't remember but was a media file with logo.

I scanned it with Quick Heal Anti Virus and it confirmed virus and healed it. But it always came back whenever I use it.

When I tried to create a folder for example, a folder 'Car', it successfully creates it but when I enter into that folder it automatically creates a New Folder in every folder I create. So, I got suspicious and did not click that new folder. I right clicked it to see the properties which showed it as a file 'newfolder.exe'. I then scanned it and it was indeed a virus. I formatted the pen drive but it still came back. The OS was win 98.

Now I have my own laptop loaded with Windows XP SP2 and AVG. I did'nt find any files on the pen drive when I used on it. I formatted it and now it is working fine. The hidden files are gone for ever.

Recently, I installed a pen drive software which acts like an OS on the pen drive. It created an autorun.ini file on its root. But I don't have any problem with that.

I have learned that those files are not virus at all. Those are small programs which are installed in every pen drive so that it may work better and faster. That 'New Folder' virus was indeed a virus and I may have got it from an infected PC in the cyber cafe.
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

akaggarwal_eshop
Community Member
@haxpak Thanks for your kind words. Having gone through the entire thread, and since you mentioned the drive was placed vertically - it seems that you received a pen drive that was previously used/tested on some computer and that's where it got the virus from. I've come across more than a few PNY drive and they are all placed horizontally by the manufacturer. Beats me why they won't just seal the package and make it safe for the buyer.

I can understand how it feels to get a product not as specified and I myself am trying to fight for justice here:
http://forums.ebay.in/thread.jspa?threadID=500003011

PS: Nice to know that you're studying in IIMK - I'm headed to IIMC myself this year ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

haxpak
Community Member
@techsmart_eshop
I am glad finally someone understands the reason why I created this thread. Also, 2 of my friends are actually joining IIMC this year, Ankur Mittal and Pratik Prakash.
I missed C by just 1 in QA and don't have the guts to leave K for that.
I hope you enjoiy yourself in Joka ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

sdeb9253
Community Member
I purchased a XM Delphi satellite Radio Receiver,from AMERICANPOWERSELLER July 21 2009,and the after having it activated,it dosenot work,and would like to know what can be done with it.
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Sometimes the sellers themselves don't know what they are selling. If the item can be purchased locally, I prefer to hold it in my hands, check it and then buy it instead of using ebay for it.
Message 27 of 27
latest reply