Customs related

bombaysales
Community Member
HELLO SIR,
i m a citizen of india, i liked a laptop frm ebay.com which sells trough USA.link -http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280611449341&rvr_id=200306432937&mfe=sidebar#ht_4856wt_1051
I m getting it for 42k approx{including shipping}. Will any other customs tax/ broker will be applied here? if yes how much as per ur knowledge so tht i wont buy if not in my budget.the seller told me he will send me as a gift item.or how should i avoid it . Plz help me out ...

Ty in advance
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Customs related

If the seller is sending it as a gift.then there is no Duty i think
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Customs related

You'll loose the warranty and sometimes even as a gift you might have to pay customs. In case of damage or defective piece, returning it will be a big problem too.

If that price includes shipping then you are actually getting the laptop for a lesser amount. If can pay 42K then look in Indian market and you'll find a better deal with warranty and other services.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Customs related

raghukashi
Community Member
Even if it is marked as gift, custom will be applicable for goods which are of high value. You may incur close to 5k as custom duty.

Your best bet is to ship it to some relative or friend and ask them to bring it here when they are coming. Each person is allowed to carry one laptop across borders without duty.

Check with the manufacturer about international warranty/Warranty transfer. If warranty is not available here, it is better to buy laptop here, even though it costs more. The saving on buying from US will prove not worthy when there is a problem.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Customs related

dhanukutti
Community Member
A product with value just below Rs 10000 will be exempted from customs duty. Even if the seller mark it as gift, it won't be considered as Gift will be charged with taxes and customs charges. For Example : if your product actual price is $ 800 and shipping charges is $ 100. Then you need not pay Customs duty for shipping charges, that mean you need to pay for only $ 800. As per customs act you need to pay atleast 5500-9000. My suggestion ask the seller to show the price lesser than the actual. The more lesser the price it would be better. Well dont put below Rs 10000, because it would be hard for them to believe.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Customs related

roopalisanjay1
Community Member
MY REQUEST TO ALL NOT TO BUY FROM ABROAD.I WAS FORCED TO PAY 41% CUSTOM+PENALTY 5000+FINE.
IN TOTAL IPHONE 5 COST ME MORE THAN 60000
Message 6 of 6
latest reply