International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

bleedingedgetech
Community Member
Hi all,
I have been trying to import items from EBAY.COM for a long time now. I have explored every possible way of doing it USPS, couriers people coming to INDIA from US.

Let me tell you one thing .... IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT. More that 60% of the time the items got stuck in the FORIEGN POST OFFICE when imported though USPS.

Govt. of INDIA does not allow dutiable goods to be imported through POST -"Import of dutiable goods by letter, packet or parcel posts is prohibited under Notification No. 78-Cus., dated 2.4.1938 (as amended), read with section 11 of the Customs Act, 1962"

So if your item gets stuck at the FORIEGN POST OFFICE - you're doomed - you'll have to visit to the nearest FOREIGN POST OFFICE in Delhi or Mumbai personally to get your item released. And since its not legal to import dutiable goods through post or by mis-respresentation you might have to pay SUPER HIGH DUTIES as listed in CHAPTER 90 of the Customs Tariff Act along with upto 300% penalty.

If you import throuh Courier you will get the item delivered to you but you'll have to bear huge shipping costs along with very high duty rates.

Also using your INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARD for purchases will attract you do declare the same under section the INCOME TAX ACT as per section 62 or 92 / not sure.

I even got a notice from RBI which ICICI Bank communicated to me regarding some violations of FEMA (Foriegn Exchange Management)Act I had committed.

Once or twice I esacaped customs duty initially and thus I thought I could get away with all this very easily.

2 of my 20+ feedback ebay ids have already been suspended.

Let me tell you I have been fighting a case with Indian Postal Services and another one of FEMA for past one year now.

IMPORTING in INDIA sucks big big time !!!
Message 11 of 98
latest reply

it.hub.online
Community Member
Hi everyone, i have just bought pc chasis fan from EBAY.COM, i have not yet recieved the parcel..., my seller marked as GIFT value $35. so i was wondering do i have to pay dutty on item if so how much... please let me know

Thanks in Advance
Message 12 of 98
latest reply

Hello everyone,

The same is happening with me now!
A few days ago, 11 April 2007 precisely, I bought a Memory Stick Duo card from eBay USA. The seller was 'topemart' from Hongkong with a very high feedback rating (>7000, 98% +ve). I paid $40 for the card through Paypal and the seller told me that he sent it through Airmail. But even after a month a have not received anything from him. After numerous emails (of which he replied just a few) he told he'd be resending the item. But I am not sure whether he did that because even after asking many times, I got no reply regarding Shipping details (Tracking No, date of despatch, etc.)

The post-office in my area has no record of any such item. I am aware that if Customs places a tax that would be brought to me by the Postman, but in any case it has to come to me, isn't it! As a last resort I have reported a dispute with Paypal yesterday.
Let's see what happens. I am optimistic!

Keep posting.
Message 13 of 98
latest reply

vinaysb21
Community Member
Hello, wanted to find out customs duty on import of LCD, Plasma T.V.s as the prices seen on net are at a huge variance with retailers'. Thank you. Vinay S.B. Mumbai
Message 14 of 98
latest reply

Hi Guys,

I just got a Full Refund of $40 from Paypal.
My bank wouldn't allow me to do a chargeback (saying its not permissible) , so I opened a dispute, waited for 20 days, and after no fruitful reply from seller forwarded the case to Paypal. Entire process from paying to getting refund, took 66 days!

See Ya!
Message 15 of 98
latest reply

rkb_1964
Community Member
Hiiiiiii frnds,i m making a project in third year diploma engineering.I ordered an electric motor through USPS before 1 month.It cleared custom duties in india on 9th october and has nt reached me still.so wt can i do????where i should approach??is there any office in mumbai??
Message 16 of 98
latest reply

deepakgaur23
Community Member
Hi all

I wish to purchase on electronic board worth US$34(excuding shipping) from ebay.com ebay Store located in USA using Credit card issued in India . My quereies are
- Is is legal to purchase from US online using Indian Credit Card. Any issues wth FEMA
- If Legal what is the procedure
- Customs etc..
I have read the earlier posts but some say they faced no problems but some tell about problems with Internation Postoffices/Customs/FEMA etc.. Please guide me in this regard
Message 17 of 98
latest reply

udayabhaskar2005
Community Member
I have ordered a universal wii adaptor of 5USD item from Honkong to India through ebay. This has sent by airmail from Honkong governmnent postal. I just wanted to know within how many days this generally reaches, if at all reach! to India from Hongkong.
Message 18 of 98
latest reply

Hello,

If it is via ems you should get it within 7 days. It is also trackable on the Hong Kong speed post site.

Devesh
Message 19 of 98
latest reply

shounak80
Community Member
Hi all,
Can anybody please teel me if fountain pens bought from ebay & en shiped to India from abroad is considered as dutiable goods?????/
If so how to clear the customs????????
Message 20 of 98
latest reply