Customs duty in India

nithin85
Community Member
HI, i recently purchased a graphics card for 399$(16000 INR approx)(computer hardware)from an US seller. I wanted to know if i will have any trouble with the customs? Thank you.
Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Customs duty in India

annagupta
Community Member
The below Indian Ministry of Finance website clearly mentions the exemptions & customs duty on online imports in India

http://www.cbec.gov.in/js-menu/imp-gifts.htm

-------------------------------------------
All goods imported into India from abroad is liable to duties of Customs under Section 12 of the Customs Act and also is liable to all the restrictions under the Foreign Trade (Development & Regulations) Act 1992. However, the Government has exempted gifts received from abroad by persons residing in India from the whole of duties of Customs and from restriction under FT (D&R) Act. At present, import of goods upto the value of Rs. 5,000/- is allowed as gift, duty free. This exemption is allowed only for bonafide gifts imported by air or post. For the purpose of calculation of this value of Rs. 5,000/- the air freight or postal charges paid are not added. The clarifications that may be needed are as under:

VALUE RELATES TO WHICH COUNTRY:

Whether the value of Rs. 5,000/- means the value of the goods in India or at the country of the sender?

The value of Rs. 5,000/- is the value of the goods in the country from where the goods have been despatched. The sender may not necessarily be residing in the country from where the goods have been despatched.

CAN BE IMPORTED BY SEA :

Whether this concession is allowed for import through Land Border or by Ship?

No, the import has to be only through Air or through Post Parcel.

Who can send the gifts?

Any person abroad can send gifts. There is no specific restriction that only relatives can send the goods. Business associated, friends, relatives, companies or acquaintances can also send the gifts to residents in India.
Message 41 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

uniquecreations2012
Community Member
vineethb20

contact customer support and go to resolution center http://resolutioncentre.ebay.in/ and open a case against your seller.
you will get your money back for sure.
Message 42 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

vinid002
Community Member
Please dont buy anyhting from abroad....thats all i have to say.... until our government has some concern about us indians..... paying unnecessary customs duty....

I bought a one mobile pouch, tablet cover, one usb adapter, and a micro sd adapter which cost me around 1400rs... after a few days i got a letter from the customs stating i have to send them the invoice and the details of the products...which was send and when there was no reply i called them and they told me to send them my credit card statement for that purchase which was also done. when the product came to my house (after 2-3 months) the postman told me that i have to pay a duty of 650rs.... i checked with the customs and they told me that i have to pay 36% duty for any product i buy from abroad........... Its killing if i say....
Message 43 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

uniquecreations2012
Community Member
vinid002

thats a surprise. i bought few items from abroad and i haven't faced any such problems until now.

Do you live in West Bengal or states which has Octrai charges. if so it's not customs fault. it's your Government fault.
Message 44 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

palival
Community Member
Today I have to pay Rs 2934/- to customs to collect my camera flash 😞 The camera flash value is Rs.5200/- only. Indian postal department & customs collecting too much customs duty...Never purchase anything from overseas via ebay.
Message 45 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

uniquecreations2012
Community Member
palival
it not only happens with ebay. it happens purchasing on any other sites.
Message 46 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

martianxi
Community Member
I want to buy 50$ worth headphone. The item location is in HongKong.What will be expected custom duty for shipping it to India.
Message 47 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

i give up. i have a pentax DSLR on which i was using kit lens and an old SIGMA DL lens, i thought of some bargains whic turned ineffective
1) brought a sigma mini wide 28mm old lens described as pentax mount, it turned out to be ricoh mount with ricoh pin, which i realised once it jammed my camera got a refund.
2)brought a old/used promaster 19-35 which is yet to arrive, no tracking available though had requested it to be registered for tracking to be there over month.
3)read a lot of tokina at-x pro thus thought of brought a tokina AT-X pro ver1 28-70/2.8 tracking vanishes at customs over 15/20 days guess this is also lost- its on EMS/Speed post.
never had this issue earlier when i brought old laptops for parts for myself.
i think i give up and feel that ebay is ok for small ticket items or for parts unless one is a trader and has appropriate registration.
Message 48 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

ronidaonida
Community Member
I purchased a few large sized silver certificates ( face value 1& 5 dollars ), meaning old defunct notes of USA for my collection.
Initially they came by registered post free of any duty. Recently they (Indian customs) have been charging heavy duties in several thousands of rupees.
If collection of old stamps nad first day covers are exempt, what about old defunct American notes of say 1881,1891 and 1899 ?
I am in such a fix that since I have paid for 13 notes notes for my collection from different American dealers registered on e-bay,I have perforce to pay these huge amounts in rupees.
I am at a total loss of words. After these 13 notes arrive, I am going to say bye bye to e-bay, for that matter to every note dealer.
Rointon
Message 49 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

eshop.openprit
Community Member
The Government has exempted gifts items received from foreign country to persons residing in India from the whole of custom duty under Foreign Trade Act. In the present scenario, import of goods up to the value of Rs. 5,000/- is allowed as gift, duty free. This exemption is allowed only for bonafide gifts imported by air or post. For the purpose of calculation of this value of Rs. 5,000/- the air freight or postal charges paid are not added. It is important to note that the value of Rs. 5,000/- is the value of the goods in the country from where the goods have been dispatched. The sender may not necessarily be residing in the country from where the goods have been dispatched.

Who can send the gifts?
Any person living abroad can send a gift to an individual living in India. There is no specific restriction that only relatives can send the gift items. Business associated, friends, relatives, companies or acquaintances can also send the gifts to the people living in India.

Custom Clearance Permit of Imported Gifts
Import of gifts items, which is freely importable need no custom clearance permit. However, there are certain gift items that are not freely importable. In such a situation a special permit is required by the custom authorities. The main objective of the custom clearance permit is to allow the import of gift items which is other wise restricted or prohibited by Government of India for the use of charitable, religious or educational institute registered under a law or approved by the Central or State Government.

Application Procedure for Custom Clearance Permit (CCP)
An application for the grant of CCP for an item which is otherwise restricted or prohibited in the ITC-HS Classification may be made to Director General of Foreign Trade supported by the following documents.

Applicant's request on his compay’s letter head or plain paper duly signed with all the details.

Donor's letter in original duly signed and indicating his name, address and the purpose of offering gift.

Bank Receipt in original in duplicate/ Demand Draft / EFT details towards payments of application fee at the prescribed rate.

Self certified copy of proforma invoice.

Any other relevant document which applicant would like to enclose.
Message 50 of 87
latest reply