Importing from USA, India customs regulations

havenindia
Community Member
Hi,

I ordered two small shipments from USA, the 1st box of 30 items got through India customs within 10 days, but the 2nd box of 150 items seems to be there for almost a month.

Anyone know the rules on this stuff?

Do I need a licence for such a big amount of items?
The box value is less than $250.

any help would be great
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

montsa148
Community Member
The customs charged varies
-On the assessing officer
-Their mood (Trust me, they do that, I've been there a few times)
-The contents of the package
-Quantity of the contents
-Market value of the product imported (Even if its a used product, the value of a new one is considered as importing used stuff is banned in india)

I have imported 6 phones, and paid 3k, under the table. While a casio watch worth $200 reached my house without any hiccups (declared value was $10)
Message 31 of 46
latest reply

Ok here is a guide for everyone wanting to import from USA safely and fast. Open a mail forwarding service in US and ship all your purchases there and the group it and reship it to India.

I use a mail forwarding service called ComGateway, they use only DHL for shipping to India. The shipping price is very good, for my last shipment of 6 kgs I was charged $60 something I think. The plus point of using DHL is that customs clearance isn't a hassle and I get the items with 4 to 5 days from USA all the time. Some time I get charged customs duty sometimes I don't.

This is way better then USPS as after reaching India many a times the packages used to get stuck a foreign post for weeks and they were such a hassle to clear
Message 32 of 46
latest reply

mezivotomeze2012
Community Member
Hey guys,
well can any tell me I bought a lot of stuff from ebay US and Uk but all in differnt dates :
1: 1 cargo pants worth $139 USD including shipping charges
2: 1 puma shoe worth $79.95 USD including shipping charges
3: another cargo pants worth $ 39 USD ' ' ' ' ' '
4: 2 cotton check shirts worth $ 33 USD

and from UK

5: Nike Air GBP 49.99 + GBP 15.00 shipping

will the custom department Charge me for each package ? They are not arriving on the same date, some in 5 days time & some in 10 days after

give me some ideas if the custom department calls :8}
Message 33 of 46
latest reply

mezivotomeze2012
Community Member
Hey guys,
well can any tell me I bought a lot of stuff from ebay US and Uk but all in differnt dates :
1: 1 cargo pants worth $139 USD including shipping charges
2: 1 puma shoe worth $79.95 USD including shipping charges
3: another cargo pants worth $ 39 USD ' ' ' ' ' '
4: 2 cotton check shirts worth $ 33 USD

and from UK

5: Nike Air GBP 49.99 + GBP 15.00 shipping

will the custom department Charge me for each package ? They are not arriving on the same date, some in 5 days time & some in 10 days after

give me some ideas if the custom department calls :8}
Message 34 of 46
latest reply

iccppobox
Community Member
Hi,

You can use a very good company PPObox ICC World Wide who will do clearance within 24hours and fet you the item at your place within 5 working days only from USA and UK.

PPOBox is a shipping service serving the needs of people living abroad to order goods from foreign countries.

We make it easy for users to transact between India and the U.S or U.K. by giving you your own address in the foreign country. Through our network of reliable service partners that have been in the business for over 30 years and have a presence in all major cities in India, we are able to provide you with fast, secure and cost-effective shipping needs. Now shop U.S or U.K. websites like Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and many more from India and other countries! Refer Personal Shopping for help.

www.ppobox.com
Message 35 of 46
latest reply

iqlis2006
Community Member
Hi,

Can anybody tell me ....... How much of time the Indian Customs keep the detained items .....

I hav purchased a sword .... now more than 7 months have passed and no sign of it ...... i contacted the delhi customs where they agree that they have detained the item. now for months i have followed them at last they say the item/ article is not with them ...... one of my friend told me after six months the items are disposed ......

Someone please guide .....
Message 36 of 46
latest reply

jphnyc
Community Member
Does anyone know what the import/customs charges would be on jewelry from India to the USA?
Thanks!
Message 37 of 46
latest reply

this is very true the custom duty procedure and implimentation of Duty is Wierd. They charge as per their mood, if you are importing bulk consignment in name of company with proper IEC code then there is little possibility the duty structure goes as per what Duty's are 

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

Shipment through USPS is slow to asian countries and cities.

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

Hi, Can you please reconfirm the rate customs duty for importing mobile from USA through ebay.com.

Message 40 of 46
latest reply