cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Silver/Gold plating of copper/Brass coins

Recently I have observed some ebay sellers are listing silver/gold plated copper/brass coins.Example one pice 1944-45-47 copper coin.I think these coins were never issued originally silver or gold plated.I am new to ebay, please correct me if I am wrong.I think it is a very cheap tool sellers are using to boost their sale.As we know these coins are not only for sale/purchase in Ebay.Many of these are passed on to generations to generations.If we alter the plating finish, after 2-3 generations people might get confused and think that gold/silver plating was the original finish.By doing this we are not only distorting our heritage but also causing enough harm/confusion to the future generation numismatists.Therefore my humble request to all to stop this practice.Also I invite all serious ebayers for their valued opinions on this serious(I think) concern.
Regards
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi netbizonline,
This is madness. No collector will touch that thing. It may be used as cheap ornament. Nothing more than that.
Selling in eBay is okay as long as you write proper description and title.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

gujralsk
Community Member
Hello, I agree with the sentiments expressed by the moderator. Gold/silver plating and recently coloring of coins amounts to de-facing the original coins. Any seroious collector will definitely avoid such coins. A recent and more disturbing trend is sale of fake coins and notes on ebay. A few such examples are 1971 25 Paisa coin, Dr Ambedkar 2 Rupees coin, Indira Gandhi 1 Rupee coin, Fisheries 1 Rupee coin, 1970 to 1974 1 Rupee coins, 1995 and 1982 1 Rupee notes. I dont mind listing of such fakes but the sellers need to prominently use the words `Replica/Copy/Fantasy/Token' in the title and description.
Satish Gujral (gujralsk)
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

vvinek
Community Member
Yes I agree. We buyers/collectors should be cautious to deal with such sellers and check our old record before such purchase.
V V Joshi
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

zachcoins.ltd
Community Member
Well i think, for any collector of coins, the collector should be knowing in which direction , he/she wants to pursue the collection, and then there are so many numismatic catalogues from very renowned numismatists available for the same. and by referring that they will never end up buying something fake, replicas, or jewelers token. So lack of knowledge leads to all this buying and the same helps the sellers to fool them.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply